Prospect calf sires

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
I am going to be doing some custom AI breeding for a guy who wants to try some of the club calf sires. Just going from the pictures of bulls avalible in canada, the bulls selected are Bleedin Purple , Cherry Bomb, Sin City and Home Brew i would like to know as much about them as possible before making a final decision with my client on semen purchases. Has anyone seen them on the hoof or progeny and what type of cows they work best on, What are their flaws and best points. Do any of them have a fatal flaw. All and any information is welcomed.

I know very little about any of those bulls. I sure wouldn't base my breeding selections from pictures in magazines; only progeny. This Tuesday I saw 4 bull calves sired by Hannibal. The calves were all terrific, and out of 4 different cows. These 4 were also the only cows bred to Hannibal. This tells me that Hannibal is mighty predictable. I don't know anything else about this bull, but to me, that's the kind of proof I like to see.

I have a Sin City PB shorthorn I'm showing now. He added frame and the calf is well muscled but not exteme. The only problem is that he had a bigger bw=90#.

skcatlman":2z5kygri said:
I am going to be doing some custom AI breeding for a guy who wants to try some of the club calf sires. Just going from the pictures of bulls avalible in canada, the bulls selected are Bleedin Purple , Cherry Bomb, Sin City and Home Brew i would like to know as much about them as possible before making a final decision with my client on semen purchases. Has anyone seen them on the hoof or progeny and what type of cows they work best on, What are their flaws and best points. Do any of them have a fatal flaw. All and any information is welcomed.

What is he wanting Steers or heifers? What is his goal with using the Club Calf bulls?

The reason for the interest in the clubby sires is his kids are in 4-H and convinced that these kinda bulls will produce champions at a bigger show. They do well at the club level. The kids need to learn, so the idea is to buy 10 straws of semen and syncronize 6-8 females go a round or two of AI
and see what happens. personally i think there are better bulls out there than clubby bulls. He wants m and f calves for the kids to show.
I know selecting from pics is a bad idea, that is why i think more information is needed from someone who has nothing to gain.
AAOK -you say you have seen hannibal calves - terrific tells me nothing other than you like them. why do you like them? what i want to know is birth wt. , calving problems, structure , muscling, disposition, frame, depth , capacity,thickness, lenght of body, head type, hair quantity and type. By the way hannibal is avalible up here but from the picture he looks too tight hided, lacking in depth and muscling. I was told by some people that have used him the calves have a disposition problems, but i have heard about alot of that with clubby sires.
OSU shorty-Sin city -what is frame score of calf, well muscled -for a shorhorn ? or any breed ? 90lb birth wt. not a problem if the calf is made right.
Thanks for the information keep it coming.

skcatlman":zxaqhpxm said:
AAOK -you say you have seen hannibal calves - terrific tells me nothing other than you like them. why do you like them? what i want to know is birth wt. , calving problems, structure , muscling, disposition, frame, depth , capacity,thickness, lenght of body, head type, hair quantity and type. By the way hannibal is avalible up here but from the picture he looks too tight hided, lacking in depth and muscling.

The breeder did not give birth weights; he did say they calved easily. My "terrific" means a resounding YES to all of the traits you mentioned. The 4 bulls were calved last March. They were in a one acre lot with about 10 others. I would guess weight at close to 1000lbs. Frame is moderate, but not too small. I was able to walk around the lot, close to the calves, and disposition seemed A+. Certainly not tight hided; very soggy, plenty of depth, length, muscle, and gobs of hair. Structure was excellent, and all were very free moving; really good, extended fronts. Let me just say, If I were judging them in a class, it would be extremely tough, because there just weren't any holes in any of the four.

I haven't even seen a picture of Hannibal, but I've sure seen some good calves.

Our Hannibals were well over 100#, more like 120. I was not impressed they were big headed, dopey and really big framed. The heifers out of Hannibal were good though. Like most club calf bulls, there is a lot of inconsistency with the calves.TH and PHA free

Sin City can have huge birthweights not for heifers at all, but have a lot of bone and hairy, but TH and PHA Free

Home Brew, Bleeding Purple, and Cherry Bomb are TH Carriers, that can certainly be a fatal flaw in the truest sense of the word.

Cherry Bomb is a dink himself, so if the cows are big....

skcatlman":1ipo48tw said:
The reason for the interest in the clubby sires is his kids are in 4-H and convinced that these kinda bulls will produce champions at a bigger show. They do well at the club level. The kids need to learn, so the idea is to buy 10 straws of semen and syncronize 6-8 females go a round or two of AI
and see what happens. personally i think there are better bulls out there than clubby bulls. He wants m and f calves for the kids to show.
I know selecting from pics is a bad idea, that is why i think more information is needed from someone who has nothing to gain.
AAOK -you say you have seen hannibal calves - terrific tells me nothing other than you like them. why do you like them? what i want to know is birth wt. , calving problems, structure , muscling, disposition, frame, depth , capacity,thickness, lenght of body, head type, hair quantity and type. By the way hannibal is avalible up here but from the picture he looks too tight hided, lacking in depth and muscling. I was told by some people that have used him the calves have a disposition problems, but i have heard about alot of that with clubby sires.
OSU shorty-Sin city -what is frame score of calf, well muscled -for a shorhorn ? or any breed ? 90lb birth wt. not a problem if the calf is made right.
Thanks for the information keep it coming.

That is a lot of info and the problem is many of the calves we might have seen could get lots of those attributes from the cow.

Might help to narrow it down some on bulls if you tell us what kind of cows he wants to breed. What breed are they? What kind of quality, are they thick and wide? Are they deep bodied.

Picking the right bull has more to do with the cow than anything.

Example if you have a nice cow that has some thickness to her then Kadabra might work good, If you have a deep bodied nice made Angus Cow, Picasso might work good on her. If you have a large framed tall cow then you might want to go with a Irish Whiskey son.

Skcatlman- My Sin City is a 4/06 calf and last weekend his hip height was 47.5 and is well muscled for any breed. He also has a great disposition but his mom has always been calm so that could have came from her. The birthweight was a problem because the cow is smaller and needed he needed to be pulled a little. He's very fuzzy too:)

I know very little about any of those bulls. I sure wouldn't base my breeding selections from pictures in magazines; only progeny. This Tuesday I saw 4 bull calves sired by Hannibal. The calves were all terrific, and out of 4 different cows. These 4 were also the only cows bred to Hannibal. This tells me that Hannibal is mighty predictable. I don't know anything else about this bull, but to me, that's the kind of proof I like to see.

i have a hannibal heifer and she has turned out real well for me ....last week she won her first show and shes only 9 months old

she is definately thick, wide based, and big boned
with all that she still has femininity

heres a pic of her
DSC_0071.JPG

Couldn't find Home Brew on Semex. Couldn't recall the last three bulls' phenos of top of my head, so had to look up their pics. Figured I'd save ya'll the trouble....

I usally like to see a bull live if i'm going to use him myself. If i'm really serious about using a bull and he is on the show road i must see him in the wash rack where he is honest. I spoke with the client, the bulls with PHA and TH are out. His kids really want to use the bulls they picked out but understand if they have a genetic problem they are useless in a breeding program . I think they fell in love with the bulls from the semenex catalogue because of the pictures. So that leaves sin city. As for the cow herd 3/4 Fleck sim and 1/4 hereford or 1/4 red angus. Deep , long ,very wide from top to base, loose hided just a**kicking good cows. but for show purposes could be cleaner fronted. He has bought a Gelbvieh from me and bred heifers to him, he has also used some full french charolais i AI'ed the cowherd to. We'll see the results later this spring. But he runs RA,Horned Herf and Fleck Simm bulls to walk. I don't think they could use much change i wouldn't want to add much frame. Personally i don't think the kids need calves off show steer sires but a judge at a show dumped on their calves for the extra leather. I think they will end up trying some Speckle park that i have semen on in my tank as well as some Sin city. those bulls will clean the fronts and leave some eye catching color. If a dud comes out i know it won't be the cows.

Here's some pics of my Sin City if that helps, he's about 3 weeks old here. I can find older pics if you want to them.

beau_10.jpg

beau_12.jpg

There is this simmental bull called Kappes Real Deal that is leased with Accelerated Genetics and I guess has had semen shipped to Canada a lot. We used him last year and this. His calves look nice. I used him on the 2003 National Western Percentage Show champion and turned out with a nice calf. Lots of bone, straight hair, nice size too. I don't have any pictures, but if you wanted to go on for good heifer calves, that is all we have had out of that bull so far. No bulls. A club calf bull I also like is strictly business,have to be careful on him though. I'm sure you will find something. Sin City is a good pick for sure.

skcatlman":1for1q0h said:
As for the cow herd 3/4 Fleck sim and 1/4 hereford or 1/4 red angus. Deep , long ,very wide from top to base, loose hided just a**kicking good cows. but for show purposes could be cleaner fronted.

Based on your description of the cows, I would look hard at Who Made Who and Dr Who. Both are TH & PHA Free. Again, this idea is based on calves, not pictures. GREAT FRONTS!
Sometimes leg problems, but usually because of Clubby cows.

Latest posts