Pros and cons on 4 and 5 year olds.

Help Support CattleToday:

tomnt369

Reaction score
I'm looking at about 20 head of Brangus 4 and 5 year old pairs, calves average 350 to 400. They've been bred back so mostly will be 3N1. We have a few now and there is room for them. My wife recently retired. She would like to add some more to the pasture, and says she has the time. I've never purchased pairs before. What's ya'lls take on this? The asking price is around 2700.

Anything I should look out for?

You want sound moving cattle that fit your size and type requirements. Up to date health records and reproduction records and a disposition that you can deal with. Don;t know what the prices are, frequently different areas have vastly different demand and prices.

tomnt369":16rl758k said:
I'm looking at about 20 head of Brangus 4 and 5 year old pairs, calves average 350 to 400. They've been bred back so mostly will be 3N1. We have a few now and there is room for them.

Why is he selling ?
How does this price compare to 2 or 3 year olds ?
These cows will drop in value in a couple years...

Stocker Steve":1gu4iwow said:
These cows will drop in value in a couple years...
One word: RELIABLE! These 4-5 years old cows has experiences behind them and raises better calves than a 2-3 years old cow.

I saw a couple of 3-N-1's sell last Saturday at Van Zandt Livestock. One was a black 5 yr old that was 4 months bred with about a 350 lb Brangus heifer calf. The pair brought $2575. A black 3 yr. old, 4 months bred with a 300 lb black heifer calf brought $2400.

If the seller will guarantee pregnancy on those cows, I say they are probably a good buy. You can wear out a truck going and looking for that many good cows in a bunch.

tomnt369":nxvl7wg3 said:
I'm looking at about 20 head of Brangus 4 and 5 year old pairs, calves average 350 to 400. They've been bred back so mostly will be 3N1. We have a few now and there is room for them. My wife recently retired. She would like to add some more to the pasture, and says she has the time. I've never purchased pairs before. What's ya'lls take on this? The asking price is around 2700.

That is a little steep on the price IMO. A lot would depend on the quality of cow, if he guaranteed bred back, ect. Id like to see 2000-2500... but Id also like to see $1500 calves and I don't always get what I want. :tiphat:

Though I should add why... Our calf market is very volatile right now IMO. Although the current calves on those cows may bring $800-1000 if you sell them immediately... if the bottom falls out after that and we are getting $480 again I would not want to over extend myself. If you buying 2, its not so bad, roll the dice. If you buy 50 like that and the bottom falls it can really add up.

Finally got a chance to check back...thanks you all for the input. :D

Yea Brute, I was considering selling some of the calves pretty quick. depending on the prices.

If he would have them preg check I think that is a good price for 3-1's. 4-5 year old cows make a fellow sleep better at night instead of heifers calving ! You are looking at a long productive life on a 4-5 year old regardless of the price of calves. My 2 cents.

tomnt369":2cxvsfxi said:

Doesn't sound bad if the cattle are breed back to the same bull. The calves on the ground show you what those in the oven will look like. Just to be one the save side I'd probably try to get the seller to run them all through the shoot and vaccinate and worm before taking possession. Cows this age are in their "Prime".

Latest posts