Prolapse Question?

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a very good ? I`m not aware one breed is more prone than another but, i feel a good mineral program does help prevent prolaspe.
Maybe we can hear some discussion on this one and comments
from others.

blk mule

In the past Herefords were said to be more prone to prolapse then other breeds.
But just as it is with pinkeye/eye cancer and no milk, that seems to be more of a past problem then a present one.

dun

Inherited prolapse would be more in family lines. As Dun said, Hereford were the only "breed" associated with this as a problem "in the past". But, it can occur in any breed.
I believe MOST uterine prolapse are caused by dystocia and/or nutrition (feed & mineral programs) and they would not be repeated if bred for easier calving and had a better nutrition & mineral program.

There was one vet in my area that told me he saw this problem more in Brahman cross cattle, Beefmaster, Brangus, etc., but that was just what he had experienced himself?

Another vet said he saw it more with cattle that pastured steep terrain?

My personal experience is that it happens more in my hereford influence cattle. Second most likely to prolapse for me has been charlais. I'd rather repack a herf anyday than a charlais, the seem to lack a tolerance for pain. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

cfpinz

The popular belief over here was that the p in polled stands for prolapse in polled herefords. Personally I have never experienced a problem in polled herefords and I think its more a case of the horned breeders that lost a big portion of their market share to the polled breeders being petty.

The most prolapses I've seen was in holsteins.

Only had two prolapses here..One was a Black cow that proplapased after having a huge calf.. Would call that one dystocia related.. Had a significant laceration on her uterous as well.. Ugly situation...

Second one was a 1/2 Herf 1/2 RA.. She prolapsed 4 months before calving.. Not a total one but a god portion sticking out.. Vet said she saw a lot more on, sorry folks, hereford influenced cattle than other breeds. percentages have been pretty low overall.. sometimes thse things just happen.

MountainFarmChar":3mwiba8o said:
There was one vet in my area that told me he saw this problem more in Brahman cross cattle, Beefmaster, Brangus, etc., but that was just what he had experienced himself?

yeah brahman are prone to prolaspe both vaginal and uterine. i would say that braford, beefmaster would be more prone then pure brangus though because their tighter around the vagina then the F1's are. and the angus are not prone to prolaspe. like the hereford

ALACOWMAN":14q3uhbn said:
MountainFarmChar":14q3uhbn said:

yeah brahman are prone to prolaspe both vaginal and uterine. i would say that braford, beefmaster would be more prone then pure brangus though because their tighter around the vagina then the F1's are. and the angus are not prone to prolaspe. like the hereford

So, it's most likely not the Brahman influence but the Hereford influence. The vet didn't say which breed he thought most influenced the prolapse, I just assumed the Brahman, but I do see what you are saying about the Brangus, all the Brangus I've seen are just as you described.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone on this topic, it's been a help.

MountainFarmChar":17bp9w3i said:
ALACOWMAN":17bp9w3i said:
MountainFarmChar":17bp9w3i said:

So, it's most likely not the Brahman influence but the Hereford influence. The vet didn't say which breed he thought most influenced the prolapse, I just assumed the Brahman, but I do see what you are saying about the Brangus, all the Brangus I've seen are just as you described.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone on this topic, it's been a help.
well ive seen more pure brahman with vaginal prolaspe than uterine but they are prone too it. it might be a double wammy with both breeds in the mix ..herf and bra... forgot some gerts were bad too

Latest posts