Progressive? Farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
Seen the latest PF magazine? What has happened to that one time journal of agricultural knowledge? It seems to have become an urbanized shadow of it's former self. There is a 28 page article about an "idea house and farmstead" that PF and Southern Living built in a development in NW Florida. There is an article about drill bits, a Birmingham man who makes compost, and outdoor clothing. There is an article, not very detailed, on bull selection and a few brief articles on livestock care. This a magazine that has lost it's focus and is hard pressed to call itself a "farm" publication. "Rural Homeowner" is title more suited to this once proud farmers magazine. I'll not renew my subscription next year.

My dad got PF for years and long after he stopped working on the ranch. I can remember thinking it was absolutely the most boring mag on the planet!!!! I was a kid then. I think I was thumbing through one the last time I took my dad to the dr. I hadn't seen one in forever. I don't really remember what was in them to start with, but this one did have some stuff about picking out land and weighing calves. Seemed to be a little less grainy than I remembered it being as a kid.

Yeah, I get the magazine but I won't be renewing my subscription either. It seems that they are trying to compete with some type of home magazine instead of a farm magazine like it used to be when I was a kid. Not worth the paper it's printed on. I've gotten Progessive Farmer for years and it's nothing like it used to be.

It's gotten pathetic to the point I consider it a "Rural Edition of Good Housekeeping".
Too much is geared up for the weekend warrior that mows an acre of grass. I remember when I was a kid, I thought it was the best magazine ever printed.It seems to me to be more suited to the Urbanite that moved from the city to the Country, and has not a clue what they're doing.We get it down at the store, because it's only 8 bucks a year.

Lammie":1d36jjs4 said:
My dad got PF for years and long after he stopped working on the ranch. I can remember thinking it was absolutely the most boring mag on the planet!!!! I was a kid then. I think I was thumbing through one the last time I took my dad to the dr. I hadn't seen one in forever. I don't really remember what was in them to start with, but this one did have some stuff about picking out land and weighing calves. Seemed to be a little less grainy than I remembered it being as a kid.

I remember the Progressive Farmer that Daddy got...and I'm like you, Lammie, I thought it was boring! I haven't seen one for years...

Alice

Agree... current edition sucks!

By any chance did the "Progressive" Farmer Bull get into the pasture with the Martha Stewart Cow???

PF is no longer reflective of "real" farming & ranching... just another one of those things in print...

I get the magazine to and I keep waiting every month for when they might have barn decorators on with fresh colors so I can repaint my barn and make my critters HAPPY again but I keep on waiting reading the same old crap.

the last issue was a bit foo foo for my taste, i do like to see the ideas that people submit, some i have already done, and some cancome in handy. but when they start the decorating and the la de da stuff, i loose interest abit. just give me good information, more meat and less foof, and leave the mutil million dollar dream homes to home and garden tv, or martha.

samm

It's gone to nothing. Years ago it looked more like a catalog than a magazine. Not much to it anymore. It used to be printed to apply to your particular area. Now they say it is universal for all areas of the country. Piddling and pethetic now.

Boy, I got my copy over the weekend and after thumbing through, just tossed it. I've been thinking the same thing for months.

Did ya'll get two different copies of it for a few months? One seemed to be the "real farmer" (I'll get in trouble for that, I'm sure) version, and the other the weekend hobby-ist version. I guess the real death was when the tractor ads where for 20 - 30 hp lawn tractors.

I agree, I looked through my last copy and tossed it in file 13(the trash). A few days later I got a subscription renewal notice and I threw it away. PF is turning more to a redecorating and urban magazine. Whole county is going this way and forgetting who feeds them and is the backbone of this country.

As a kid growing up in the 40's and 50's the P.F. was the only mag. my parents received. I thought it was great then. As soon as I married I subscribed to it. For close to 50 yrs the Mag. followed us where ever we lived. I posted some months ago that I would not renew for the same reasons y'all mentioned above. For sure it is not for farmers large or small any more, not since :( Time warner bought it. :(
Bud In LA

Latest posts