Processor let my steer loose and shot it.

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
My processor let my steer loose as I was unloading it, largely due to the most stupid set up and a mistake on their part sending another animal the wrong way down the chute towards mine. As a result they had to shoot my steer since there was no way to herd it back to the loading chute and we were on the edge of town next to a busy road. I haul them up a day ahead of time so that the adreneline and stress from shiping is over. I sure don't appreciate the fact that he ran around and then got shot, and then they slit his throat but I did not see much blood. It took about 15 minutes before we got him back to the shop and hung him up. He got dragged a couple hundred yards with a pick up and then pulled into the shop with a chain fall. Anyways, any time I know some one who had to shoot one like this the beef ended up tasting like crap. Any thoughts, what are the chances that this will turn out good? This was a choice steer, about 1300 lbs.

hayray":157lco3s said:
My processor let my steer loose as I was unloading it, largely due to the most stupid set up and a mistake on their part sending another animal the wrong way down the chute towards mine. As a result they had to shoot my steer since there was no way to herd it back to the loading chute and we were on the edge of town next to a busy road. I haul them up a day ahead of time so that the adreneline and stress from shiping is over. I sure don't appreciate the fact that he ran around and then got shot, and then they slit his throat but I did not see much blood. It took about 15 minutes before we got him back to the shop and hung him up. He got dragged a couple hundred yards with a pick up and then pulled into the shop with a chain fall. Anyways, any time I know some one who had to shoot one like this the beef ended up tasting like crap. Any thoughts, what are the chances that this will turn out good? This was a choice steer, about 1300 lbs.

Sounds like the first chapter of a horror story to me. One thing is for sure IF he doesn't come out right(dark cutter for example) then at least you know why(maybe)

What did they have to say?

Depends on the steer... Hope he was calmer and smarter than the processor. You may want to grind some more cuts depending on the carcass.

hayray":206woubz said:

Let him hang! The steer not the fellow who shot him.............I don't know but you ain't got the first beef been shot stressed.....ain't know body going to remember his gusto after a few hamburgers the way I figure..........if he's so bad make a bunch of jerky out on him......

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Shot one twice as it charged me and she turned out fine. She was pure out crazy and wasn't going to pawn her off on someone else so I chose to butcher her instead. Besides, I wanted my vengeance.

BUBBA'S MEAT PROCESSORS& Exotic Hunts :)

Seriously, I know how you feel. I carried a 400 lb. hog to a processor about fifteen years ago and they shot the pig while I was there. One of them slit his throat but missed the jugular. When he hit the hot water, he came back alive and the race was on. They wound up shooting him again about four times before I had to finish it myself with my 38. Never again. I slaughter them myself and haul them in split.

My processor guarentees it will be ok. My problem is that I was planning on selling this, don't want to sell it if there is a possible problem. As far as what I said, I was pissed off and let them have it. About every time I unloaded there since tThey have built a new unloading ramp a year ago I have complained about how bad the set up is. The setup is a very short ally way that goes into a abuilding but it is not wide enough for you to back your trailer into, you can only back up too it but the bumper on my trailer does not allow the trailer to back flush up to a post so there is always a gap between the trailer and the post. On the drivers side I back up right close in front of the post and then swing the trailer door open to the right to unload and that blocks the gap on the right side but when two cattle turned around in the ally way I ran into the trailer and swung the door shut. The gap on the right was only wide enough for the steer to put his nose through but my truck and trailer was parked on a incline on ice and he simply shoved the truck and trailer down hill no problem.

Surest bet would be to hang it 2 weeks then have him cut off a steak. Cook it up and if it's OK the rest of it will be ok also. If it's tough just grind the whole thing

man your processor just hammered you good on your calf.youll prolly end up with a dark cutter because of that.i know if i was you id find another prossing plant.it amazes me the methods they use to kill the cattle.when i was prolly 8 or 9 i went with my dad to take a calf to the processers.an i was where i could see the killing floor because they left the big sliding door open a good bit.an i got to watch them kill a steer.this big old guy walked out there with a big sledge hammer an busted the steer tween the eyes an dropped him right there.fun sight for an 8yr old let me tell you.i told my dad an he goes you wasnt supposed to see that,an i goes why.an he said because might not eat meat again.an i said no worries i love meat.

Our loading ramp has moved a bit. Until we can fix it we place a board from the post to the truck. It doesn't let light through. It wouldn't stop them if they tried to go through it, but as it looks solid they don't try. Now we have to put one one both sides.

Suzie Q":cc110snn said:
Our loading ramp has moved a bit. Until we can fix it we place a board from the post to the truck. It doesn't let light through. It wouldn't stop them if they tried to go through it, but as it looks solid they don't try. Now we have to put one one both sides.
That is a good idea, that sure would have worked here.

They tell you that adrenalin makes the meat tough , chasing them up gets it going but I dunno . Most all of the beasts I kill to eat end up tough. Even young stuff at 8 months .

I think the breed has a lot more to do with it .
My Droughtmasters have "Zebu" in them which is "Brahman" . I reckon the Indians treat them as sacred because they are too tough to bloody eat !

When I buy and kill Hereford or something with a bit of dairy in it they eat well. Hanging for 10 days helps but this is just the rotting process starting in on the fibres so if its tough to start it will still be pretty darn tough when you eat it .

I liked the "cut a steak and try it "idea but if you intended to sell it then sell it . Could turn out to be good meat.

The longer you hang your beef the more tender it should be. We hang our beef for 20 days and our deer for 5-7 days. Always been some pretty good eating to me.

we have used several different processors the closest one to us and because of that would rather take our beef to them but the guy only hangs the beef 5 days and I ask him if I wanted to hang it longer would he and he got ticked off and gave me a lecture that hanging time doesnt matter and if I wanted the meat age just leave it in the frig x number of days it would be the same thing. so I decided i wont be using that place again. we have not raised calves to butcher we have always sold them but the 1/2 we did buy was taken to this place and now that we will have one to butcher this year you can bet he wont be going to their place. what we have had done at this place was deer processing and hogs but now they wont get that either.

I called up there and they said the carcass looks good. I was there as they were skinning it and I did not see any hemorage or anything, I did not see alot of blood. I will defer to their expertise and give them a chance since they are the experts. They claim that the USDA made them build the unloading ramp to those specifications. They are good people and I have had a long term relationship with them since they are important to my business. Once in a while they mess up the cutting instructions a little but I have never had a bad meat. There is a place local to me that often the meat will come back with a nasty odar and is throw away, I am pretty sure because they don't blead the carcass correctly. To avoid venison being like this I always de-bone and process my deer right in the field.

Seems in a lot of countries the abbatoir , slaughter house , etc gets it pretty good .I sent a beast with a broken leg to slaughter and it had had a broken leg for less than 24 hours . When I rang they said it "went down the shute"

Well I asked what this meant and they reckoned the meat was bad and bruised so they dumped the whole carcass.

I had a relative who worked there and got him to check it out . He said they removed one limb from midway and the rest went through as usual . So I fronted them immediately and asked to see the carcass as I wanted it for my dogs , it being legally mine .
They of course could not provide that and offered me another beast in compensation .

Mine was an old dairy cow 10 or so years old . The replacement tasted like a yearling ,same weight .
Relative says they do it all the time .
Thats Australia , Eltham abbatoir for anyone local ,so watch out.

tytower":5l0yhrtv said:
Seems in a lot of countries the abbatoir , slaughter house , etc gets it pretty good .I sent a beast with a broken leg to slaughter and it had had a broken leg for less than 24 hours . When I rang they said it "went down the shute"

Well I asked what this meant and they reckoned the meat was bad and bruised so they dumped the whole carcass.

I had a relative who worked there and got him to check it out . He said they removed one limb from midway and the rest went through as usual . So I fronted them immediately and asked to see the carcass as I wanted it for my dogs , it being legally mine .
They of course could not provide that and offered me another beast in compensation .

Mine was an old dairy cow 10 or so years old . The replacement tasted like a yearling ,same weight .
sounds like your packing house hustled you.we used to have a packer close by that would take down cows broke leg cows an crippled cows.an they would pay you hanging weight for them.but they had a very bad habit of condemming the meat so they wouldnt have to pay you.an then they would use the meat.every1 knew what they was doing.well 1 guy always took his cows there,an it was the same story the meat was condemmed.so he finally got fed up with it.the next cow he took went to the vet for a full exaime so they couldnt turn her down.because the vet said she was ok.well they condemmed her.the guy called wanting his check an they told himthey condemmed her.an he told them to have the check ready when he got there with vet papers to prove she was ok.an they gave him his check.a while later the plant was shut down because of what they was doing.

bigbull338":3dwuv5bw said:
tytower":3dwuv5bw said:

sounds like your packing house hustled you.we used to have a packer close by that would take down cows broke leg cows an crippled cows.an they would pay you hanging weight for them.but they had a very bad habit of condemming the meat so they wouldnt have to pay you.an then they would use the meat.every1 knew what they was doing.well 1 guy always took his cows there,an it was the same story the meat was condemmed.so he finally got fed up with it.the next cow he took went to the vet for a full exaime so they couldnt turn her down.because the vet said she was ok.well they condemmed her.the guy called wanting his check an they told himthey condemmed her.an he told them to have the check ready when he got there with vet papers to prove she was ok.an they gave him his check.a while later the plant was shut down because of what they was doing.
In the desert there was a small grocery store with a meat market on the back. The area was a free range area. He sold a lot of beef, all no rolls. It took the ranchers a couple of years to catch him in the act. He would go out in the hills and butcher a cow or steer and bring it in and sell it in the meat market.

Having Processed quite few, 1st thing go check the carcass immediatly. If it is dark, hambuger it all, lite red it should be okay. Then when completed, hit them up with you need a big discount or you will tell everyone you know how bad they screwed up your meat, (especially if you were selling it like I do) I had one stay in the cage for 4 days, did not know till we picked him up, he was stressed meat real dark. steak tuff as tires.

Latest posts