Processing Price

Help Support CattleToday:

f150fatboy

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I got my last steer back from processing yesterday. The kill bill was $45 and 45 cents a pound for packaging. Prices had went up a little just wondering how that compared to other regions. I'm not complaining, this place always does a good job, just thought I'd ask. I'm thinking T-Bone for supper.

Thanks!

CUSTOM AND INSPECTED SLAUGHTER PRICING EFFECTIVE 1/1/16

• Beef Cattle Kill and Age $75.00 Each. Free aging up to 2 weeks. Country Road Meats keeps the hide as part of killing fee.

All Custom Meat Cutting processed by trained meat cutters.

• The animal(s) is not our responsibility until it has been safely unloaded into our pens and secured. Customer will be responsible for any undue damage to pens caused by animal.
• Country Road Meats will provide a secure corral with water for your animal while it awaits slaughter.

• If your animal(s) becomes injured or falls or cannot rise from a recumbent position or that cannot walk, including but not limited to, those with broken appendages, severed tendons or ligaments, nerve paralysis, fractured vertebral column or metabolic conditions. These disabled animals shall be condemned. They cannot enter the slaughter establishment.

• If your animal(s) become sick, injured, or dies before slaughter,Country Road Meats and (or) its agents will not be held responsible.

CATTLE DETERMINED TO BE MORE THAN 30 MONTHS OF AGE WILL RESULT IN ADDITIONAL DISPOSAL FEES FOR SRMS.

• Cattle 30 months old or older may present a significant risk of BSE (Mad Cow Disease) if your cow is determined to be 30 months or older special handling and special charges will apply.

*An additional special handling charge of $50.00 will be charged for all cattle determined to be 30 months of age or older.

• ANIMAL(S) TO BE FREE FROM UNDESIRABLE RESIDUE.

PLEASE NOTE. STANDARD PROCESSING FEES ARE LISTED BELOW. WE MAY CHARGE ADDITIONAL FEES FOR REQUESTS WHICH DEVIATE FROM STANDARD TABLE CUTS.

Beef Processing Fees

• Deluxe Processing .80 lb. Based on hanging weight after slaughter. Steaks cut Bone-in or boneless, your thickness. Roast cut bone-in or boneless as big as you say hand tying on rumps and tips. Ground beef as lean as possible, stew beef extra lean. Any cuts you don't like put into ground beef. Vacuum sealed. All cuts labeled for your convenience. Vaccuum sealed and frozen no extra charge.

$.05 per pound for generic labeling ON INSPECTED PROCESSING.

$.15 per pound on finished weight for private labeling

$10 split fee per order if more than two splits per animal.

**There is limited deviation allowed on our inspected processing form. Clients who need a large number of specialty cuts with specialty packaging which require a great deal of extra time for processing will be charged a flat rate of $1.00 per pound on the hanging weight + labeling fees.

Custom processing is available for animal growers only. Pricing starts at $.70 per pound cut table choice. Includes roasts 3-4 lb, steaks 1". All cuts vacuum sealed in portions for an average family of four. Ground beef in 1.5 lb tubes. Any additional requests will incur time and material costs.

• Due to limited freezer space we ask that all orders be picked up within 48 hours of completion. We will work with you as best we can, but after 48 hours product will be boxed and the cost of boxing added to the invoice. We reserve the right to charge $1 per business day per tray for orders not picked up within after the second week after of processing. We are not responsible for any product after 45 days. WE WILL DONATE ORDERS NOT PICKED UP AFTER 60 DAYS TO THE LOCAL FOOD BANK OR LOCAL FAMILIES IN NEED OF HELP.

*Note: Minimum package weight 1 lb average.

**Please note that we have a minimum processing fee of $325 per animal on beef processing.

***If you ask for a beef to be aged only and picked up whole; bring the manpower to carry the animal from the rail and put it on your vehicle. If we are asked to load we will charge a minimum $50 load fee.

Regular processing $25 kill charge .47 cut and wrap. Another $45 kill .52 cut and wrap
Cows to burger $45 kill charge .55 cut and grind and package

120.00 kill fee here, .90 a lb cut to your specs and vacuum sealed. I'm envious of everyone else's prices, but then again, we are in California.

90.00 kill fee here and I think it is 55 cents a lb cut and wrap
Suzanne
flat 100 .00 for sheep
50.00 kill on pigs

Sky, that processor sure has a lot of rules.

"We ain't responsible for it til it's in our pens, and if anything happens to it after that we ain't responsible for that either"!!!

They'd have to be real good for me to deal with somebody that had the gall to write all those rules.

It looks like I'm going to have to haul about an hour myself. But in my program, the way I'm marketing it and all, I have to have top notch processors. I'm actually going to build my own butcher shop and walk in, and hire a couple local butchers on the side, just so I can make sure everything is right. But that'll take a couple years.

50.00 Kill Fee
.45 cents a lb, any way you want it.
2 week aging at no extra charge, 3.00 a day if you want it hung over 2 weeks.

Rail Wt. 500-599
Rail Wt. $.46
Waste Disposal $20.00
Kill Fee $34.00

1424555081.png

Yoder Bros Meat Processing, LCC
1650 Briarpatch Lake Rd
Paris, TN 38242-6554

SJB":3aszejfh said:
It looks like I'm going to have to haul about an hour myself. But in my program, the way I'm marketing it and all, I have to have top notch processors. I'm actually going to build my own butcher shop and walk in, and hire a couple local butchers on the side, just so I can make sure everything is right. But that'll take a couple years.
Does TN have a state inspection program? Arkansas does not.

It would cost a million dollars to build a USDA processor here, and then you'd never find good meat cutters. Big government rules have killed the little processor.

In TN you can be a "custom exempt" butcher shop. I can butcher an animal (or share of an animal) you own for you, but I cannot butcher an animal and sell pieces of it individually at retail.

That's what the deal is with packs of meat you see that are stamped "not for resale".

Dont quote me, but I think the USDA leaves rules up to the states on the custom exempt. I was quite surprised, both me and my attorney are reasonably sure we can do this legally without having to build a huge facility under strict USDA rules and regulations. We still have to be inspected, but not at the same level a retail meat shop or packer does.

Google "custom exempt butcher" or stuff to that effect.

SJB":19ki2zt5 said:
In TN you can be a "custom exempt" butcher shop. I can butcher an animal (or share of an animal) you own for you, but I cannot butcher an animal and sell pieces of it individually at retail.

That's what the deal is with packs of meat you see that are stamped "not for resale".

Dont quote me, but I think the USDA leaves rules up to the states on the custom exempt. I was quite surprised, both me and my attorney are reasonably sure we can do this legally without having to build a huge facility under strict USDA rules and regulations. We still have to be inspected, but not at the same level a retail meat shop or packer does.

Google "custom exempt butcher" or stuff to that effect.

I interpret the rules the same as you do. I'm wanting to sell the animal and then process it for the buyer. But the liability aspect scares me. I've ran this question by the GCA and Farm Bureau, and can't get a definite answer out of either one.

That's how it is in Georgia. As long as you are not packaging the meat for individual retail cut sales you are fine. Still must be inspected by state. The problem is you are only being paid for the processing and that is not where the real money is. Money is in retail cuts. Not everyone wants a half or a quarter and once you fire up the coolers and the freezers you'll quickly see you need volume to make ends meat. I looked into building a USDA facility and $325,000 was what it was going to take for a small facility. Wholesome Meat Act of 1967 did a number on the small butchers. In my little town we used to have 3 butcher shops. Now we have none.

No doubt the liability is an issue. Everybody has to figure that out for themselves.

For me, I figure somebody might sue me at any time for anything. I choose to separate my home, farm, and beef business via separate LLC's. Then I buy enough liability insurance on each one (usually an umbrella policy) so that if there is a suit, the insurance company will take care of the legal expense with one of their best lawyers.

In other words, if the insurance co stands to lose a million, they will probably send a good attorney at no further cost to me.

As to where the money is, I think I can make what I need to make selling halves, quarters and eights. I think I have a different approach and customer base than most folks who have done it in the past. Time will tell, but so far I can't keep up with demand without going and borrowing money, and I do t want to do that right now.

Latest posts