Problems with injection site.

Help Support CattleToday:

Billy Bob

Reaction score
My Dad has an appx. 300 lb. calf that was recently given injections for pinkeye and black leg. This was about a month ago and he still has a big lump at the injection site. Anyone know what to do for this?

A tincture of time. Normally they go away, some never do. We had a cow that had a bump from every vaccination she ever got, at 7 she looked awfull.

It will be gone just as soon as you stop worrying about it.
Been my experience that Black Leg almost always leaves a knot for a month or more.
DMc

Should go away on it's own.Was that a bottle you had used out of before? Seems to me we get more of this with previously opened bottles.

Larry

I agree it should go away on its own. Some cattle will react more than others. Every now & then you will see a permenant lump, but not usually very big. I have a cow that has one about the size of a quarter , doesn't affect her either way. I also agree that the 8-way seems to give them some nasty lumps.

larryshoat":2h4j11el said:
Should go away on it's own.Was that a bottle you had used out of before? Seems to me we get more of this with previously opened bottles.

Larry

Good point. Maybe I am overreacting; but I have heard enough horror stories about contaminated vaccines or inert vaccines that I buy only what I need and any left over gets tossed in the garbage can.

You probably already know this but I use a brand new needle and syringe for every injection. No need sticking something dirty back into something sterile. Once finished they can be sterilized and reused. As long as you don't contaminate your vaccines etc. they should last until the expiration date with no problem.

Modifed live vaccines have a short life span after opening. Like 20 minutes short. They need to be used up as quickly as possible. This is Very Very important. The longer the openned, mixed vaccine sits out the more inert it becomes

You probably already know this but I use a brand new needle and syringe for every injection. No need sticking something dirty back into something sterile. Once finished they can be sterilized and reused. As long as you don't contaminate your vaccines etc. they should last until the expiration date with no problem.

Billy Bob - as has been said, usually the lump will go away by itself. I dont worry about mine.

BUT, if you are concerned or want it gone, post this on the show board - I know there are a few people there that have methods of getting rid of vacc lumps for the show ring.

TexasBred":yvgb8fof said:
Rocky, very true...I try to never used modified live nor live...only killed virus vaccines.

Oh boy, it's been slow lately so lets get this hot potato going again about which is better!

The lump should go away in time, I try to rub the site after I inject , I think it helps keep the lumps down , I also split injections in different sites.

could be a bacteria, the name of which I'm not sure how to spell. Sounds like Chorinae. If it is, you will probably always have a knot. We used to use the same syringe on multiple animals and ended up with the same knot at the injection site on several cows. The knot doesn't seem to hurt the cows, but we have since been more careful about using needles multiple times.

The knot will peel off with the hide. Some places they will bring more as the buyers can see that they have had some shots.

Latest posts