problem...?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I posted this on another site, so forgive me if you have to read it twice:) We've got a Hereford heifer that's due to have her first calf between now and November. She's not bagged up yet, but her belly is big, and her flank area is very lopsided. Could this be a ruptered prepubic tendon, or some other problem? If so, could this be because she might be carrying twins? I doubt it is a big calf, because she's bred to an Angus. The "swelling" is about the size of two watermelons. Any ideas?

-Sarah

[email protected]

Which side is swollen? If it is the right side, about 5 o'clock if looking from behind, that is likely just the calf lying sideways. At that stage of gestation, the calf is often doing that. If at 6 o'clock, there is likely a problem. If on the left, it could be the calf or a problem. Give us more details and we'll try to help.

> I posted this on another site, so
> forgive me if you have to read it
> twice:) We've got a Hereford
> heifer that's due to have her
> first calf between now and
> November. She's not bagged up yet,
> but her belly is big, and her
> flank area is very lopsided. Could
> this be a ruptered prepubic
> tendon, or some other problem? If
> so, could this be because she
> might be carrying twins? I doubt
> it is a big calf, because she's
> bred to an Angus. The
> "swelling" is about the
> size of two watermelons. Any
> ideas?

> -Sarah

Without seeing her, I'm at a loss as to whether it's a problem or not. Frankly, I'm most bothered by the "hanging towards the midline". A ruptured prepubic tendon tends to be all ventral with swelling/edema immediately in front of the udder--which is not what this sounds like. I have seen hernias on the left, one was low and had about 1/3 of the rumen in it--and she calved via caesarian section. If she seems comfortable, you can coast along, but if she seems the least bit off, I'd definitely get her checked out. If in doubt, get her checked. Good Luck! V

Latest posts