Problem with a cows weight...

Help Support CattleToday:

JSteim

Reaction score
We bought 3 cows from a dispersal sale in mid 2016. All are related.
A 6 year old cow, her 4 year old daughter and a 4 month old heifer calf out of the 4 year old.
The 6 year old and the calf arrived in good flesh and are in great shape now.
The 4 year old came in really thin and has gotten thinner in the months since we got her. Her calf was weaned off of her 8 to 12 weeks back and is big for her age. The 4 year old has been wormed twice in the last 6 months and has access to plenty of grazing, round bales of hay, minerals and is supplemented with cubes a few times a week. Seems like she has a good apetite - always comes up for hay and cubes and eats with the other cows.

I figured once her calf was off of her she would start to gain but she has not. Thoughts on what to try next?

We were late moving her to the lease that we wean at . She was nine months at weaning so she has been off her mama for 8 weeks or so.

mine will lose weight Weight right after weaning the calf,due to the stress of fretting over losing her baby. Some are worse than others about it..normal for them for the most part.. She ""should"" start regaining before long...but this is just my thought on the matter.

JSteim":34eda2k3 said:
A 6 year old cow, her 4 year old daughter and a 4 month old heifer calf out of the 4 year old.
The 4 year old came in really thin and has gotten thinner in the months since we got her. Her calf was weaned off of her 8 to 12 weeks back and is big for her age. The 4 year old has been wormed twice in the last 6 months and has access to plenty of grazing, round bales of hay, minerals and is supplemented with cubes a few times a week. Seems like she has a good apetite - always comes up for hay and cubes and eats with the other cows.

I figured once her calf was off of her she would start to gain but she has not. Thoughts on what to try next?

Any chance its just genetics? Sometimes people arent used to seeing cows that put their all into their calf. I have some that do and some that clearly dont and people comment that the ones that really milk look too thin. I'm fine with it but others think that beef cows need fat pones.

She is a lot thinner than that. Ribs and hip bones are really prominent.

not that i can see - after reading the responses i think we need to get a vet out to look at her

artesianspringsfarm":1oxr4oe5 said:
JSteim":1oxr4oe5 said:

Any chance its just genetics? Sometimes people arent used to seeing cows that put their all into their calf. I have some that do and some that clearly dont and people comment that the ones that really milk look too thin. I'm fine with it but others think that beef cows need fat pones.

I like them to milk well as well and can handle the look of them doing a good job. I find I don't have any trouble with those heavy milkers breeding back. By the time they get to 5 or 6 their body condition seems to improve during a heavy lactation.

Ken

wbvs58":3j7bvrj1 said:
artesianspringsfarm":3j7bvrj1 said:
JSteim":3j7bvrj1 said:

I like them to milk well as well and can handle the look of them doing a good job. I find I don't have any trouble with those heavy milkers breeding back. By the time they get to 5 or 6 their body condition seems to improve during a heavy lactation.

Ken

Most of the heavy milking / hard keeping types sort themselves off during the first two preg tests here. Hurts to see a productive heifer leave but if they can't produce on what we are willing to provide they have no place here.

JSteim":26xlrkfx said:

Photo? You can pm one if you like.

4 year old and calf July 2017 - she has lost a little weight from when this photo was taken. I cant find a newer pic at the moment.

Can't see her other end. Is she dirty? I would also say you are short of copper by the reddish tinge to her hair coat.

Are they on a vaccination program of any kind?

Latest posts