Problem with a cows weight...

Help Support CattleToday:

We have one Char cross cow that always drops weight while raising a calf. She is the worst looking cow we have by condition standards, but last 2 years gave us a600+ pound calf at weaning. She eats, keeps up, is gentle and calves successfully each year. Can't ask for more than that. Cows aren't all built the same, so if she does her job to your liking keep her. If not ship her. Just my opinion.

How long have you been in brangus...I've had some of them look like hand slung Chitlins year in and out.. But never missed a calf...hard working gals,and looked the part,, not show winners, just money makers...

Looked at her today for a while.
She is clean on her back end - no caked on poop. She poops solid and has a great apetite. None of the other cows are chasing her off the feed.
We have a call into our vet to take a look at her.

When the vet looks at her, and in lieu of no real good diagnosis, suggest a magnet. It is cheap insurance and won't hurt her. From the pictures, I don't think she is all that awful; maybe as suggested she just puts her all into the calf. We are putting magnets down more cows now because we rent alot of pastures and don't know what they might find. A couple bucks for a magnet, you can do it anytime you get them in the chute.

farmerjan":3t70c46o said:
When the vet looks at her, and in lieu of no real good diagnosis, suggest a magnet. It is cheap insurance and won't hurt her. From the pictures, I don't think she is all that awful; maybe as suggested she just puts her all into the calf. We are putting magnets down more cows now because we rent alot of pastures and don't know what they might find. A couple bucks for a magnet, you can do it anytime you get them in the chute.

Careful you don't have the whole herd stuck to the barb wire! :D

farmerjan":1uf8q2px said:
Lost too many cows to hardware so now every cow, bull and retained heifer has a magnet. Not a guarantee, like any vaccine or preventative measure, but definitely cheap insurance.

Alacowman we've had brangus for about four years now. GCreek they're vaccinated with covexin 8 and cattle master 4 + vl5. We have purina wind and rain free choice for about half the year and switch to high mag during spring and summer.

Thin cow that we posted about is on the left cow to the right has a September calf on her both are sired by 607L11

The second picture is of a first calf heifer we weaned there calves at the same time however hers was an April calf. She has put back on more condition then the thin one which was part of the reason we thought something was wrong with the thin one.

If she was dirty behind I would say she had picked up something. Maybe she is just one of those who won't put on weight. As long as she doesn't pass that trait on to her calves there should be no problem.

Maybe she is just worried about something.....

gcreekrch":3kitqg1e said:
If she was dirty behind I would say she had picked up something. Maybe she is just one of those who won't put on weight. As long as she doesn't pass that trait on to her calves there should be no problem.

Maybe she is just worried about something.....

I wouldn't say her behind was dirtier then any of the others. She's weaned more then she weighs in her first two calf's the first one was 622 pounds didn't own her when she weaned that calf. The second one was probably 650 when we weaned her. We bought her at a sale in Mississippi, one of my friends who runs Brangus in Missouri said sometimes when they go from east to west it takes them a while to adjust to the new environment. Haven't had any issues with cattle from different states adjusting before this one though.

Latest posts