Problem with 1 1/2 month old bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

crazy4equines

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and new to cattle, However I did reserch about cattle for about 2 years before finally taking the plunge and buying some. There just seems that some things you just learn as you go no matter how much researching is done. So on to the problem. I have 7 calves all but 1 is healthy. The one that I am concerned about is a 1 1/2 month old Beltie, Ever since he got dehorned(by the vet) he has been acting a little off. He still has a great appetite, Milk replacer, grain, hay and pasture, fresh water. After he eats he always holds his mouth opens and moves his tongue around, he really doesn't hang out with the rest of the calves and he sleeps alot more than the others. He kinda acts depressed. When I first got him from a local person, not a auction house he was rambuctious and playful. I have some older bull calves that I wanted dehorned and when the vet came out he just grabbed him and did him at that time, I never felt horns on him to start with and I thought that he may have been polled. The vet was real quick I mean he did 5 calves in less than 10 minutes and then he was gone. He wasnt good about talking to me about the cows and what he did, needless to say I have found alot better of a vet and I thought that I would post this on here before I made a call on Monday if needed. So I would really would appreciate any info.Thanks in advance.

What method of dehorning did vet use? Calf may be in pain? Have you checked in it's mouth- no obstruction or injury?

alisonb":38s00hbh said:
What method of dehorning did vet use?
This is what I was wondering. If they were burned I would be much less concerned about infection, and would advise you to watch that temp and make sure he stays eating good. Also how long ago was this done?

The Vet burned them off about 3 weeks ago. I thought about infection but he hasnt ran a temp. He did have a snotty nose a few days ago, I only noticed it in the morning. I am out with the calves several times a day,either checking up on them, their water or picking up the poop. I have had my finger in his mouth and haven't felt any obstruction. Could it be tetanus? The vet did not give them a tetanus shot when he was dehorned. I know my old vet, from Wi always gave my goats a tetanus when he dehorned and castrated(cut) and I did wondered about that after the vet left(why I didn't when he was there I have no idea). Thanks again for any advice.

No tetanus needed if they were burned off, we did thousands of three month old Holstein heifers that way and never had a problem with anyone.

I would just keep an eye on him, keep pulling temp etc. and make sure where the horns were burnt there is not an open wound, check for discharge ,foul smell or if they are bleeding. If that is the case then you need to treat him with an antibiotic and I would throw in an anti inflammatory as well.

Thanks for the advice thus far. There is no open wounds,discharge or anything like that.I am keeping an eye on him, I will take his temp once at least once a day. Would it be possible for a vet to dehorn him if he didn't have horns? The vet moved so fast and I know they see alot more cattle than I do but he was about a month old when the vet was here and dehorned him and I did not feel any lumps as if he was even getting horns in. I know some belties are polled.

What did he use to burn them off ? When I said we burned ours we used a de budder, the buds were definitely visible and you could see them. It was not fast by any means it is an iron that burns a ring around the bud (Horn) and the horn dies and falls off.

Did he use a paste ,if so I am sure he felt the little nibs. Perhaps your calf was scurred. Sometimes scurrs are really small and hard to feel until they are older.

He used a hot iron, I have had many goats dis budded in the past and their horns were always visible and I figure calves and goat kids are probably dis budded the same. You burn them until you get a copper ring and then the cap of the horn falls off if the horn is big enough. But the older calves had bigger horns when they were done and they are healing up very nicely. When the vet dis budded this calf he did not have horns sticking out yet and I said to him that I thought he was polled as I couldn't feel anything, just like are polled hereford heifer. He said he had horns so I let him dis budded him. He hasnt progressed like the other have at all. I dont know about the scurrs? Is calf scurrs like goat scurs? Goats will have a little horn that is left when not dis budded properly, I have never had any that were born with a scur. My b/f also mentioned how this calf will have his head and ears lowered like he is depressed, he is not around the other calves very much and just prefers to be by himself, and he was not like that before the vet came out. Thanks again for any advice.

Give him a shot of antibiotic and an anti inflammatory , what ever he has that should help him out. If he was mine I would do that JIC..

Update on our calf. The ca;f went off his feed Sunday, So I had the vet come out and he said that he has basically Laryangitis(I know I didnt spell that right). He said his laranyx is swollen, thus the difficulty in swallowing. He put him on la 200 for 6 doses. I have to dose him first 3 doses every other day and the last 3 doses every 3rd day. Hopefully this will get him better.

Latest posts