PROBLEM IN CALF - EJECTING ITS ANUS???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a bull Angus calf, about 3 months old, still in the calf house.

This calf is lethargic, depressed, has lost weight, refuses to eat and drink and therefore must be force fed, and has been down for almost a month.

This calf, whenever it defecates, ejects about 6 inches of its anus, or its intestine, I suppose. It appears constipated, and runny feces are usually all that's produced. The manure is not bloody, but the ejected anus is very bloody. It appears as a large, rounded, bloody knob when it defecates.

I've been treating this calf with electrolytes, Bounce Back, scours pills (in the beginning), and have been force feeding it water, powdered calf milk, and for the last two weeks, it's been receiving real milk from a heifer during milking. I feel like I've tried everything and while the calf hasn't gotten any worse recently, it certainly hasn't gotten any better.

Any information on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

This could be an anal prolapse. I have seen one several years ago in a 6 month old calf. A vet put it back in and no more trouble.

We had one last year that had a rectal prolapse at about four months. Vet said it was youngest he had seen with a prolapse. He put it back and stitched him up and he went to market this January in good shape.

EEL":30uelals said:
This calf is lethargic, depressed, has lost weight, refuses to eat and drink and therefore must be force fed, and has been down for almost a month.

Shoot it.

cfpinz

Call the vet! And, if that doesn't work (and it might not), then put the calf out of it's misery...and the way it sounds, the calf is in misery.

Alice

calf has been down way too long. you may be over treating for somthing that may or may not be wrong. and killin the good bacteria in his gut. or just prolonging his demise. you will have to fix the problem with his digestive system at the same time you sew him up. he is sht'in his guts out. sound like he needs roughage and some probiotics. were did this calf come from did you raise it or buy it. they can strain like their contipated even with diarreha

We raised this calf from birth. I know it's been down long and that we're probably prolonging the inevitable, but it's my fiance's farm and I'm in charge of the calves. This one's been bothering me but my fiance's nephew is supposed to show this calf - it was a gift to him for his birthday. And while he doesn't do a thing to take care of it, it's for Dairy Club. I'm trying to save it so that he can keep his 'gift' and show the calf. At the same time, I know that's probably not going to happen. I might end up shooting it, though, if the vet's surgery is too expensive. Thanks for all the help, guys!!!

EEL":2ns4kfct said:
We raised this calf from birth. I know it's been down long and that we're probably prolonging the inevitable, but it's my fiance's farm and I'm in charge of the calves. This one's been bothering me but my fiance's nephew is supposed to show this calf - it was a gift to him for his birthday. And while he doesn't do a thing to take care of it, it's for Dairy Club. I'm trying to save it so that he can keep his 'gift' and show the calf. At the same time, I know that's probably not going to happen. I might end up shooting it, though, if the vet's surgery is too expensive. Thanks for all the help, guys!!!
dont think the surgery will be too expencive just dont know if they can save it. but good luck with it anyway

cowboyup216":cdetmqc8 said:
Have you wormed this calf yet?

We wormed this calf about a month ago, right before it got sick. And I called the farm last night; they got all the maggots off the calf yesterday, too. We're still not sure if we're going to take him to the vet. It's a bull Angus, and worth only about $100 at the livestock market, which is more than what he's eaten and been treated with. I may just shoot him tomorrow, but thanks for the help.

EJECTING IT'S ANUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boys, I do believe I have seen it all on the Cattle Today forum.

Yep, I know I have. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: