Probios

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I looked it up on the search, but I could not find an answer to my question.
When do you first start giving probios?
The situation is a calf with overeating and has been given penacilian both subQ and orally. Has to be repeated tomorrow morning.
Now I know I need to give her the probios. I have the powder, store I went to didn't have the paste.
Now do I give it by having her nurse a bottle or fill a syringe and shoot it down her throat or tube her?

I can't help you with that one - we've given Probios on exactly one occasion, and it wasn't to a calf.

I've been known to give probiotics during antibiotic treatment... but I'm quite aware it does nothing more than make me feel good about doing something.

Ideally you'd start giving probiotics after the animal comes off antibiotics... I'd think 12 hours is more than sufficient. Don't quote me on that though. I usually give the powdered form in a bottle to calves (or tube them if they won't drink -- same concept as giving milk). Older animals I use a tube or balling gun.

We do it a lot like milkmaid, we start giving them Probios while we are still treating them with antibiotics, in the hopes that maybe it helps a little. Then we continue to give it a few doses after we finish the antibiotics. We use something else besides just Probios, its called E.V.M. paste, comes in a long tube and is dispensed with a caulking gun type thing. It has not only microbials but also vitamins and electrolytes, therefore justifying the use of it at the same time as antibiotics. (At least in my head).

Latest posts