Privacy

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Saw on the news where Europe is demanding stricter laws on computer privacy to keep business like Facebook, Google and Amazon from collecting so much of our personal information and these new laws will inadvertently help us here in the USA. The news showed how you can fairly easily opt out of allowing them to collect your personal information on these apps by going into your settings and hitting a few switches.

I haven't done it myself yet but I believe I will because I think they are meddling to much in my business. In fact, I was shocked the other day when I went to Sam's and before I even handed the cashier my Sam's Card she looked at me and said good morning and called me by my name. I was dumbfounded by this because I can't recall ever meeting this lady before and I seriously doubt I'm THAT famous. (winking and laughing) I don't know how she did this. I guess she could have had a photographic mind or something but I'm thinking what's more plausible are scanners somehow picked up my information while I was in the store. I don't know. I just know it was weird.

I have mixed feelings on all this data collection because on one hand I really don't have anything to hide but on the other hand I do feel it should be my right to share what I want to share. It seems its not just Google and Amazon either but other organizations like the Red Cross. Take the other day for instance, I decided I'd give some blood because I heard the blood banks were running low so I go to the blood bank and immediately they begin asking all sorts of what I thought were intrusive questions which I felt had nothing to do with my giving them some blood. I was only there to give blood and not there to be interrogated and after all they were the one's begging for it so what business of it of theirs where I got the blood from? It was fresh and still warm so what more could they ask for? I ended up just leaving because there are just some things I don't care to share with the world.

I don't know Joe, but my neighbor claims the cashier has all his information even before he pulls his card out of his wallet, in places he's never shopped before. Claims there is a scanner as soon as you walk in the door that reads all your cards even thru your pants and wallet. True or not, I'm not sure............I do know some places sell and even give away some kind of little card sleeve that is supposed to prevent that kind of thing..

I've heard the same thing but don't know how much truth is in it but when the cashier called my name I was shocked. I did notice Sam's was pushing a new checkout method where you don't even have to go to the cashier. Instead you were asked to scan your stuff with your phone then when you got to the door you would sync your phone with the person at the door and it would debit your bank account and give you an electronic receipt. I know this is different because you have to sign up for this but I don't know what all I agreed to when I agreed to some of the apps I have on my phone and don't know anyone who has ever read all these contracts you must agree to for their "free service".

last week A guy at the office asked me about repairing a broken PEX line on his motor home . I suggested going to HD or lowes and getting a sharkbite connector . that night when I got home and was on CT with my phone the ad at the top was for sharkbites and home depot . I did not google them or do anything but say the words , If my phone is listening to me I might need a good lawyer one day.

I've heard others say essentially the same thing. Coincidence? I don't really believe in them. I doubt you could sue since I'm sure on page 1232 paragraph 58 of the agreement you clicked on in your phone you gave up your rights to privacy.

My eldest son works for a Fortune 500 company and he said that when they have trade shows they collect people's information and they can send them a gift card to their phone for HomeDepot or some other store just as they walk in the door of the store with a thank you for coming. Pretty neat but scary at the same time.

Jogeephus":3maau5s9 said:
I've heard others say essentially the same thing. Coincidence? I don't really believe in them. I doubt you could sue since I'm sure on page 1232 paragraph 58 of the agreement you clicked on in your phone you gave up your rights to privacy.

My eldest son works for a Fortune 500 company and he said that when they have trade shows they collect people's information and they can send them a gift card to their phone for HomeDepot or some other store just as they walk in the door of the store with a thank you for coming. Pretty neat but scary at the same time.

I tend to talk out loud when I'm by myself . some of my conversations might be a little graphic and not very politically correct.

The lawyer would be needed to help get my bail reduced

M-5":28lhlwtx said:
Jogeephus":28lhlwtx said:

I tend to talk out loud when I'm by myself . some of my conversations might be a little graphic and not very politically correct.

ROFLMAO Hadn't thought of that. Let me know if you find a good one because I'll probably be needing one myself.

Jogeephus":1get2t8o said:
M-5":1get2t8o said:
Jogeephus":1get2t8o said:

ROFLMAO Hadn't thought of that. Let me know if you find a good one because I'll probably be needing one myself.

I had a little business trip down to destin yesterday and I'm pretty sure It heard some things That could be considered a no no to the #metoo movement . Just call me Morgan Freeman

Jogeephus":1k3enj7s said:
Saw on the news where Europe is demanding stricter laws on computer privacy to keep business like Facebook, Google and Amazon from collecting so much of our personal information and these new laws will inadvertently help us here in the USA. The news showed how you can fairly easily opt out of allowing them to collect your personal information on these apps by going into your settings and hitting a few switches.

I haven't done it myself yet but I believe I will because I think they are meddling to much in my business. In fact, I was shocked the other day when I went to Sam's and before I even handed the cashier my Sam's Card she looked at me and said good morning and called me by my name. I was dumbfounded by this because I can't recall ever meeting this lady before and I seriously doubt I'm THAT famous. (winking and laughing) I don't know how she did this. I guess she could have had a photographic mind or something but I'm thinking what's more plausible are scanners somehow picked up my information while I was in the store. I don't know. I just know it was weird.

I have mixed feelings on all this data collection because on one hand I really don't have anything to hide but on the other hand I do feel it should be my right to share what I want to share. It seems its not just Google and Amazon either but other organizations like the Red Cross. Take the other day for instance, I decided I'd give some blood because I heard the blood banks were running low so I go to the blood bank and immediately they begin asking all sorts of what I thought were intrusive questions which I felt had nothing to do with my giving them some blood. I was only there to give blood and not there to be interrogated and after all they were the one's begging for it so what business of it of theirs where I got the blood from? It was fresh and still warm so what more could they ask for? I ended up just leaving because there are just some things I don't care to share with the world.

When you hand the lady your card to swipe at the beginning of the transaction, they can look at your name. At least that's how they did it when I was going to Sam's Club....

This is a good thread. :)

Probably will be locked, anytime now...………. it involved policies, and policies (regardless of what they apply to) are often considered "political". I'm sick of every decent thread being locked or people being warned to "move on" when a decent, in-depth, conversation is taking place, where no one is being called names, etc.

Okay, I'm sure I'll get banned for that opinion.

Workinonit Farm":3mizmuml said:
This is a good thread. :)

Probably will be locked, anytime now...………. it involved policies, and policies (regardless of what they apply to) are often considered "political". I'm sick of every decent thread being locked or people being warned to "move on" when a decent, in-depth, conversation is taking place, where no one is being called names, etc.

Okay, I'm sure I'll get banned for that opinion.
Just look at participation lately. Several have taken their Ball and went home.

Bestoutwest":ljrvrt8n said:
Jogeephus":ljrvrt8n said:

When you hand the lady your card to swipe at the beginning of the transaction, they can look at your name. At least that's how they did it when I was going to Sam's Club....

Best, she said my name before I even handed her my card. That's what was so weird about it. Maybe she knew me but I don't think so. I'm a nobody and was 25 miles from home. But if she recalled my name from a previous visit - which is a rare occurance - the lady needs to go into politics because she would surely do wonderful being able to recall people's names like that.

"I have mixed feelings on all this data collection because on one hand I really don't have anything to hide but on the other hand I do feel it should be my right to share what I want to share. It seems its not just Google and Amazon either but other organizations like the Red Cross. Take the other day for instance, I decided I'd give some blood because I heard the blood banks were running low so I go to the blood bank and immediately they begin asking all sorts of what I thought were intrusive questions which I felt had nothing to do with my giving them some blood. I was only there to give blood and not there to be interrogated and after all they were the one's begging for it so what business of it of theirs where I got the blood from? It was fresh and still warm so what more could they ask for? I ended up just leaving because there are just some things I don't care to share with the world."

Not wanting to start anything but I have given blood for about 10 years and have no problem with the questions. I think they are appropriate to insure the blood supply. What in particular did you find objectionable? farmguy

Jogeephus":1ry7lyjv said:
backhoeboogie":1ry7lyjv said:
Jogeephus":1ry7lyjv said:
My attempt at humor has failed.

You're not a total failure. Please keep it up.

I'm glad I'm not a total failure but why would you want to argue with my X when you don't even know her?

Jogee if she's your X, she's wrong. Period. No value in me arguing any of it, it's her loss.

Two current screenshots:

unauthenticated.jpg

However, the good side is, there doesn't appear to be much data collection going on here at CT:
(emphasis on "appear"..ya just never know)

blocked_data.jpg

That isn't bad at all, compared to another but "less professionally managed" ag board I sometimes frequent:

otherboard.jpg

Latest posts