Priefert SO4 with Trailer Review

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I didn't want to mix this thread with the other where I was asking questions about it. My main purpose for this thread is to let people know about the trailer set up. There is a lot of info on the chutes themselves but very little on the trailers that I could find.

So... on the SO4 and trailer I purchased last week the chute itself seems to be well made. Every things works great just sitting in my driveway and its all easy to use and set up nice.

Ill start off with the good things about the trailer...

Its very easy to put together and very easy to move around. That's about all I can say on that.

Things I was not fond of...

The trailer came with just flat out trashed tires.... not usable in any way. If you are going to buy the trailer just put new tires in the budget right off the bat as part of the cost. Not only were they dry rotted and worn... they were like the cheapest tiger paw junk you could find. Even brand new... they are junk.

The hubs were loose on one side and VERY loose on the other. It was a quick fix but still frustrating to have to mess with after paying the money.

The hubs also are not mounted square to the trailer.

The trailer is flexed out of square Im assuming from welding but not 100%.

The hubs are low speed agriculture type hubs.

The hitch is also a dirt cheap and leaves a lot to be desired.

As a whole the trailer is kind of thrown together and sub par IMO. It would be ok to move from your barn to your pens then back to the barn but its not road worthy.

I have debated calling Priefert but at the end of the day they built it to do a certain task (which I may call and ask what that task is) and that task is not what most of use would probably use it for. So dont make the same mistake I did thinking I could pull it from place to place... even if I had to take it easy. That is not an option straight from Priefert. Its almost hard to believe the same company that designed the chute made the trailer. You can see the effort put in to the chute to be usable and I don't see 1/10 of that effort put in to the trailer.

So now the debate is should we modify what we have or start from scratch with a built from scratch trailer. I may call Priefert and try to at least get a trailer in better shape as far as the hubs being mounted better and what not just so at least if we modify it we would have a better starting point. If nothing else we could maybe sell it but I would feel bad pawning it off on some one else with out being brutally honest about how it works. I will follow up on how that goes.

So you can see from the picture attached how out of balance this thing is. So from point A to point D this thing is 127" long. From point A to point B it is only 45" long.

Priefert sends a bracket (I guess you can consider the "axle") that mounts at point B with one bolt. Its has slots cut horizontally in flat bar turned vertical that the ears with holes on the back of the trailer slide in to. When the ears slide thru the slots you put a linch pen thru. Not a bad deal but the trailer is about 4-6" wider than the "axle" slots. The trailer has enough flex that when I stab one side I have to grab the tire, lift it, and shove it in toward the chute to line up with the slot. The bracket is not a major problem but it is some what of a trip hazard for the operator while working cattle and the cattle if you have to use the side exit.

Then you grab the tongue and push down to pin the front to two brackets mounted to the front of the chute with ubolts. Again not a bad design but it takes every thing I have (6'3", #300) to shove it down low enough to pen it. It requires 2 people to do this, 3 would be even better. You have to watch your hands also because the trailer will smash your hands between it and the bar to open the head gate when it comes up. Im a little worried the handle will get damaged over time when you let it up trying to remove the trailer.

Our plan now, if we modify a Priefert trailer, is to go back to point C on the picture and weld a good have flat bar vertically to the back of the chute. There is some good iron there where we could over lap it and make it stick out as far as we wanted. We would cut slot just like the "axle" bracket Priefert sent so the trailer would slide in the exact same. That would make the balance much more favorable to pulling.

We would also need to part the trailer at point F and E to extend it. My dad has some solid 2" pipe we could shove in the parts we cut to help make the splice.

We would also need to add a jack because it would be too tongue heave to lift on to the truck now.

Doesn't seem to bad when you typing it. :) If any one has any better ideas or sees some thing we may be missing I am all ears. That is the second reason for posting this... to get input from the brain trust.

I know it is not my dads first choice to modify the current trailer. He hates screwing with stuff like that because he has concerns with what he is starting from. He is worried by the time we do the splicing and stuff that it may get more out of wack than it already is. Plus, the trailer as a whole seems to be a little narrow for the amount of weight up high.

Its hard to tell right now if the side to side motion is from being out of balance due to the tire location or if its too top heavy. Right now it still bounces side to side, not a tail whip, at around 15 mph or so if you hit a little bump. It may take more speed to get a whip.

He wants to weld some hubs straight to the chute and make it where you can take the tongue on and off but we have not been able to get that idea totally usable yet.

Thats what I have, I've been several miles, I'll run at least 55, don't get on interstate, but haven't had any trouble.
Not as big as you and I do it by myself, put my knee on it when its down and pin it, maybe the pieces you put on the chute are backwards putting more weight on the back.

Our GCA chapter has a Priefert SO4 chute and trailer assembly. It's been years since I've borrowed one but the only problem I had was worrying about my hand - finger and head getting pinched or hit by the tongue.

bse":1jovajf8 said:
Thats what I have, I've been several miles, I'll run at least 55, don't get on interstate, but haven't had any trouble.
Not as big as you and I do it by myself, put my knee on it when its down and pin it, maybe the pieces you put on the chute are backwards putting more weight on the back.

It's an S04 or SO1? I use to work at a place with an SO1 and I could move it around by myself and it pulled better also. Almost #300 difference not including the palp cage. It took two people to lift the palp cage up and in place then one guy can hold it while one pins it.

Not sure what parts could be flipped? The "axle" part has mounts where it goes. I'll have to look thru it again to be sure. Thanks... didn't think of that.

It looks just like the video.

Mine is an S04, have 2 and 1 carriage. I guess its not the axle, the part that bolts to the chute that the carrige pins go through can be put on backwards.
Got mine 10 yrs ago and it did have new tires

i've pulled a foremost chute several times that was built on the trailer. you moved a lever and some pins and the entire thing dropped down.

it pulled like crap. I had to go pretty slow. I'd think the only thing you could pull pretty fast would be a gooseneck chute / gate setup. Just the chute being long and narrow.. I assume they make the trailer that way so you can easily pull it to work the cattle.

Sucks its not up to par.. I would call them up and tell them everything. They seem like they care about taking care of the customer.. I'm sure they'll make it right with you.

I wonder if someone stole the tires? I would darn sure call them and voice my complaints. I had an old priefert made in the 80's that had a trailer. It could be hooked up by hand but was kind of tricky. I didn't like to pull it on the road so when I moved it, I hooked it up to the side by side and loaded both on a trailer. It made it easier when I got to the distant property because it was easier to maneuver around the pens and I didn't have to worry about getting the truck stuck if it was wet.

The one I looked at when buying my SO4 had new tires. Didn't look at it closely because I didn't want it. Sounds like it was a good thing I had decided against it. I would be another vote to call Priefert because of their reputation for customer service.

Spoke with Priefert. Their recommendation is to only put #12-15 pounds of air in the tires to help with the bounce. He also said it is not recommended to pull the trailer with the palp cage.

I figured the deal with the palp cage was coming. Its not surprising but it is disappointing. Its a PIA to take off and attach back.

The sales man requested I take some pics of the trailer and email them to him.

I was wondering about trailering the palp cage. Leaving it off should make it balance better and make it easier to hook up. It should also take some of the fish tail out when pulling.

When hooking up the palp cage, get some blocks that are the correct height to match the pin slots. Its easy to tilt the cage back to get the blocks under and then just slide it around to hook up.

bird dog":3puhm1ic said:
I was wondering about trailering the palp cage. Leaving it off should make it balance better and make it easier to hook up. It should also take some of the fish tail out when pulling.

When hooking up the palp cage, get some blocks that are the correct height to match the pin slots. Its easy to tilt the cage back to get the blocks under and then just slide it around to hook up.

Ya I will have to rig up some thing like that. It just means two trips now and an extra trailer just for the palp cage.

Guess it's a good thing I don't need it very often.

The O&G guy in me had me debating if I could put a skid under the whole thing and just skid it on and off a low boy trailer. :) Once you sucked it up on the trailer you could get after it with out any worries.

Just fix the chute and trailer assembly to work like you need. I'd move the attachment points back a foot or two on the chute and add that much to the horse shoe assembly. This chute setup should be something that will last a lifetime.

Brute for what it's worth I never take the Palp cage off. Maybe I got lucky but pull both of them that way, hitch heighth will make a difference.

Mine came with absolutly crap tires also. It doesn't get pulled real far very often, so not a major issue. I recommend welding a pipe inside the frame of the chute where the brackets attach. Mine bent in from the pressure. Beat the bends out and welded a tight fitting pipe in, problem fixed. I like the setup pretty well. Very easy to move around by my self.

Hitch is just on bumper of old 1/2 ton ford, I rolled the receiver part on the carriage a little to level it out on that truck, have pulled it with my 1 ton, 3 inch drop

I have gotten to use the chute quite a bit now and I'm over all very happy. The chute works great. No complaints other than the slick floor. The trailer is what it is. It pulls ok 30-40mph. If I go very far I load it all up on a bigger trailer with the mule. The palp cage has to be carried separate. With just the chute, no cage, I can move it easily by myself.

The auto catch is pretty handy. Its about 50-50 on catches. A lot has to do with the cattle.

Got the girls ready to go this morning for their blind date next month. Here is the auto catch in action. Fist video is a miss. Second is about as good as it gets.

https://youtu.be/BnlG94IpFrM

https://youtu.be/LP6gcw8V2I4

Looks good. looks like you are making good use of it. As with most things familiarity with it and setting up right will have it working right most times.

Ken

Latest posts