Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

john250":2451bkp6 said:
News reports here this morning that the blizzard in Co, Neb, etc was affecting our markets (Ky markets). A couple of barns cancelled sales last week for lack of buyers, they said.
Those numbers at Crockett are down because those calves were sold last year????

John250, If I may ask, are you selling yours in a market here in Ky? If you don't mind sharing i would be curious which market. I know the market reporter that does Owensboro, not that big of a sale though.

tom4018":1xuv641x said:
john250":1xuv641x said:
News reports here this morning that the blizzard in Co, Neb, etc was affecting our markets (Ky markets). A couple of barns cancelled sales last week for lack of buyers, they said.

John250, If I may ask, are you selling yours in a market here in Ky? If you don't mind sharing i would be curious which market. I know the market reporter that does Owensboro, not that big of a sale though.

Tom, I theorize that prices east of the Mississippi are set by Lexington, Ky. Largest market. I'm in SE Indiana, about 60 crow flies miles from Lex. Our closer markets trade at a discount to Lexington.
I've sold direct to a feeder the last few years, but I used Lexington price reports to price the calves.

john250":2shgjwhe said:
tom4018":2shgjwhe said:
john250":2shgjwhe said:

Tom, I theorize that prices east of the Mississippi are set by Lexington, Ky. Largest market. I'm in SE Indiana, about 60 crow flies miles from Lex. Our closer markets trade at a discount to Lexington.
I've sold direct to a feeder the last few years, but I used Lexington price reports to price the calves.

A few buying stations around here buy based on Lexington's prices.

Glad to see prices rebounding some. We've got 3 pots of calves to be marketed next week. The week before christmas we took a beating on the 7 weights @ a buck a pound.

dun

IL Rancher":ydzw13mz said:
Corn was limit up on Friday due to a significant change in what the USDA reported in harvested corn from last year which inturn swatted feeder cattle down.

Ethanol sux

The Georgia Monday auction summary for Jan. 16: Calves down $4.00 to $7.00 in a week. What's going on?

gabby":3gj7kim2 said:
The Georgia Monday auction summary for Jan. 16: Calves down $4.00 to $7.00 in a week. What's going on?

Must be just Georgia.

ARKANSAS WEEKLY LIVESTOCK SUMMARY
Week-ending January 11, 2007

Estimated Receipts: 14,530 last sale: 6,024 year ago: 16,243

Compared to last week: Slaughter cows and bulls sold steady. Feeders steers
sold unevenly, near steady, heifers mostly 1.00-3.00 lower.

Every market in my area prices at a discount to Lexington KY.
Lexington, KY - Blue Grass Stockyards
Cattle Auction Report for 01/15/2007 - Close

Receipts: 1,189 Last Monday: 1,285 Year Ago: 1,728

Compared to last week, steer calves steady to 2.00 lower, heifer calves 1.00
to 3.00 lower. Yearling steers and heifers 3.00 to 4.00 lower. Holsteins poor
test. Slaughter cows firm to 1.00 higher. Slaughter bulls firm to 1.00 higher.

Feeder Steers: Medium and Large 1 250-300 lbs ind 128.00; 300-350 lbs
few 124.00-126.00; 350-400 lbs few 114.00-125.00; 400-450 lbs few 112.00-112.50;
450-500 lbs 109.00-116.50; 500-550 lbs 97.00-106.50; 550-600 lbs 96.00-103.50;
600-700 lb calves 89.00-94.00; 600-700 lb yearlings 95.00-96.50; 700-800 lb
calves 83.50-86.50; 700-800 lb yearlings 88.00-92.40 including 63 head(mixed)
797 lbs 92.40; few 800-900 lbs 86.00-87.00. Medium and Large 2 300-400 lbs
109.00-117.00; 400-500 lbs 94.00-106.00; 500-600 lbs 92.00-95.00; 600-700 lbs
85.00-87.00. Small 1 300-400 lbs 91.00-102.00; 400-500 lbs 90.00-98.00; 500-
600 lbs 85.00-88.00.

Corn is outta sight, but our feeder calf buyers are also dealing with incredibly bad weather and packers who have lost interest.
I'm holdin'. There is no big surplus of black steers out there. They are still healthy, despite sloggin around in the mud. And gaining.

The thing that doesnt come out in those reports. (go to your local barn people)
Is that the buyers are cherry pickin, the top third (what is usually reported) is selling well. If you get out of that there are heavy discounts. The prices for upper end blacks tans and red baldies is still alright.
Let em be just not right, and it gets ugly quick.

Anything thrifty and small that is going to need grain to get back going is discounted big time, I would bring my feeders to the market alittle heavy if you could right now.
That seems to be where the money is at.

In a tight market more than ever you have to send what the buyers want.

MD

redfornow":1cyecg56 said:
Is that the buyers are cherry pickin, the top third (what is usually reported) is selling well. If you get out of that there are heavy discounts. The prices for upper end blacks tans and red baldies is still alright.

Anything thrifty and small that is going to need grain to get back going is discounted big time, I would bring my feeders to the market alittle heavy if you could right now.

MD

Absolutely right. Weak markets always penalize the poorest quality.

john250":32ghefsa said:
redfornow":32ghefsa said:

MD

Absolutely right. Weak markets always penalize the poorest quality.

Yep there was an old guy sell about a dozen 4 to 5 weight heifers for 35 to 45 cwt. just brought em in thifty, horns on some of em, straight off momma. Couldnt believe it, went out muttering about the market being off. But last year he would have got double that, same work same cattle different year.
Bet he aint gonna make a hundred a head this year?

MD

gabby":2b7ql0fq said:

corn prices are up due to ethanol demand. Most order buyers in East Texas pulled from $5 to $10 per cwt. off calves on Friday and Saturday. Icy roads and rain have closed many sale barns in this part of the world on Monday and Tuesday.

Ok, now keep in mind that I am a newbie here, but when you say (example)$142. are you saying a 400-500 pound calf goes for $142.00 OR $1.42 a pound? The auctioneers over here go back and forth sometimes it means a head and sometimes it means a pound. I am buying Angus heifers for about .40 a pound right now. Top grade beef/cows/bulls are about .50 a pound. But I have seen them going for $1.10 a pound later in spring summer, some are most likely not top grade, but really nice looking cows, not ill nor injured.

If someone can clear this up for me that would be great. I don't deal in pedigree, mostly stuff we eat ourselves after fattening them up, but we want to get some to bring back to the market after 6 months on good pasture.
Thanks for any info
Tukie

$142 would be a hundred weight.. Most places that I see sell cattle will sell them by the hundred weight.. so 142 would equate to 1.42 a pound...

As far as the whole new run up on prices.. Ethanol demand has some to do with it but more to do with decrease in supply as the USDA reduced their estimation from the 2006 crop... Hope for a uneventfull planting and growing and harvest season or it will go much, much higher... Remember in the summer of 96 there was no Ethanol demand and corn was over 5 a bushel.

The advantage of high corn prices comes if you have some grass to run your calves on after weaning. With high corn is high is when it really pays to weight on a calf between 5-8 hundred lbs. Let them eat their fill and put on alittle condition, feedyards are wanting calves that will need less corn to finish out. Use the Ethanol boom to help stabilize the profit in 5 to 8#s.

Latest posts