Price of Peas

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Have thought about planting 4-5 acres of Pinkeye Purple hull peas this year.

They were going for around $15-$16 bucks a bushel here last year, unshelled.

What's the market price for your area?

What would you pay to have them shelled?

How much would you pay if you picked them?

Don't know about the price but it sounds about right.

Might think about a pick your own type deal on weekends if it is feasable.

I sell peas $15/bu. unshelled. I only sell the excess out of my 1 acre garden. There's a farm near here that grows quite a few acres and sell at (I'm pretty sure) $18/bu shelled. There's much more demand for creme 40's and creme 12's and sadandys than pinkeyes or blackeyes here where I live.

Plant the Pinkeye Purple hulls for sure. I think they are the best.
You can graze them when you finish picking or you can set your bush hog up to about 4 inches and clip them and they will make again but not like the first time.
We have a sheller thatyou have to feed a few peas at a time it has two rollers that sort of mashes the peas out but it does mash a few peas too. Hand shelled are better but it takes for ever if you are selling them.

alabama":1uuv81v4 said:
Plant the Pinkeye Purple hulls for sure. I think they are the best.
You can graze them when you finish picking or you can set your bush hog up to about 4 inches and clip them and they will make again but not like the first time.
We have a sheller thatyou have to feed a few peas at a time it has two rollers that sort of mashes the peas out but it does mash a few peas too. Hand shelled are better but it takes for ever if you are selling them.

Many is the summer afternoon I spent as a kid shelling peas. If it was too hot, we'd sit inside and watch cartoons shelling peas. It was a chore my aunt expected to be done before she got off from work every day.

"
Many is the summer afternoon I spent as a kid shelling peas. If it was too hot, we'd sit inside and watch cartoons shelling peas. It was a chore my aunt expected to be done before she got off from work every day
."

Too many wasted days and sore fingers as a kid is the reason i won't grow the dad blame things today.

Peas are not near as agravating as butter beans but I ain't shelling none of em. Everybody wanted the tender little butter beans but nobody wanted to shell em.

$15 shelled, washed, sorted bagged and chilled. Creme 40's are king, then zippers in my book. PDFangus is right about those dang baby lima beans. I'll buy them at Walmart before I grow anymore for my freezer - life if just too short.

Love those little creme peas. Want to say they were well over $20 last year but I believe purple hulls were almost as high.

Latest posts