Aphids on my crowder peas

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
How do I get rid of the aphids on my pea pods and leaves?
The whole pea turns black from the sap that oozes out where the aphids have sucked. I've seen them on okra before but not on peas. The pods on a few plants are starting to look like the ones in this picture:

home-design.jpg

I've read several suggestions about using a mix of canola oil mixed with a little dish soap and water sprayed on them, but with the heat we're having I'm afraid the canola oil will all but fry the pods.

Peas are just now getting ready to pick.

Any suggestions?

Thats a wicked infestation GB, Any of the above would work well, just look for anything that will let you spray up to a day or so of harvest.
A strong water blast will get them off fairly well, too, but of course those that didn't drown will just come back...

Why I suggested sevin Dust. First no need to mix anything up. a coffee can with 15 or 20 holes punched in the bottom is a good sifter. get an extra lid to seal the bottom after you dust them. A good dusting will last for some time unless it rains and if your watering via soaker hose of drip tube. the dust is quite effective. its easy to walk by the plants and shake the can over them. when you harvest you wash the fruit and veg and ready to eat. Problem is finding 10% at most feed stores. Around here it is anyway. just My 2Cents all the prescribed methods work just have to figure out which one is easier for you.

M-5":11ikwpfl said:
Why I suggested sevin Dust. First no need to mix anything up. a coffee can with 15 or 20 holes punched in the bottom is a good sifter. get an extra lid to seal the bottom after you dust them. A good dusting will last for some time unless it rains and if your watering via soaker hose of drip tube. the dust is quite effective. its easy to walk by the plants and shake the can over them. when you harvest you wash the fruit and veg and ready to eat. Problem is finding 10% at most feed stores. Around here it is anyway. just My 2Cents all the prescribed methods work just have to figure out which one is easier for you.

M5 Thats what we did coming up but used quart mason jars with drilled holes in the top.

Latest posts