Price of $@#%^& Fertilizer!

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Just opened the bill for fertilizer on the hay fields.

Please help, I think I'm having a stroke....

Seriously, I'm too young to tip over. :shock:

Michele

I considered fertilizing my fields, but when I called up to price fertilizer they said it would be $30.00 an acre if we spread it or $33.00 if they spread it. We didnt spread it and neither did they for that price. All we can pray for is a little rain and we should get a second cutting.

johndeereboy":330v7wip said:
I considered fertilizing my fields, but when I called up to price fertilizer they said it would be $30.00 an acre if we spread it or $33.00 if they spread it. We didnt spread it and neither did they for that price. All we can pray for is a little rain and we should get a second cutting.
I wish I could fertilize for that cheap........its $80.00 per acre here..... :shock: :shock:

My first application this year ran $70/acre. This is up around $30/acre from where it was two years ago. This hurts.

Not meaning to highjack the thread but I was wondering if any of you have heard about a liquid fertilizer called Monty's. Guy across fence sells it and it sounds too good to be true. He says it runs $6/acre. Now, I'll be the first to admit his sales pitch sounds a bit tooooo goood to be true and he is after all a salesman. Now I'm not the type person to ride a new rollercoaster at a theme park and I'm gonna have to have to reliable data before I jump on it. Nevertheless, a friend of mine jumps on anything new and he has been using it for a year or so now and he says it appears to be working.

While I hope this stuff does work, I personally cannot see how you can put a pint or a quart of something to the acre and it replace 70-100 units of nitrogen. Supposedly, this stuff unlocks or makes available the existing nutrients in the soil.

If this is the case, and assuming this does work in this manner, with time would you not rob the soil reserves that you have built up kinda like whats happening with social security?

I honestly don't know the answer and hate that I had to mention the actual product name but I am sincerely interested if any of you have ever tried it or have heard any results from it other than from the sales staff.

cowboyup216":18hm90om said:
I bought mine back in the fall and winter last year so it was to expensive since it was kind of the OFF Season
Here in season prices are more expensive than when buying it out of season. Usually by $10 or $15 per ton. I'm always amazed how things get done differently in different parts of the country.

Angus/Brangus":2z04maa2 said:
I guess I don't get it. If those folks in Wisconsin didn't give away their hay, then maybe they could recoup the price of fertilizer in the price. $33 per acre sounds pretty cheap but if your selling at $25 per round bale then you might as well flush it all. What's going on here?

A/B - I'm not following your math. How many rolls of hay do you think they are getting per acre in Wisconsin?

Cuz

Folks that locked in fertilizer last fall did OK. A lot of ag writers are making the point that cost increases have raised the break even point on corn to $2.60 to $2.70 per bushel on good ground...

Hay in my area has not increased in price - - yet. I bought 880# round bales for $21 in June, but it has been so dry the last month that there will not be much of a second crop. Some guys are getting nervous now and calling around but hay is getting hard to find.

I am still buying a lot of turkey litter, and adding a little K and boron to balance it out. They raised the litter price $10 per ton due to trucking costs and I could not complain about that.

Jogeephus":7m8g2a9q said:
My first application this year ran $70/acre. This is up around $30/acre from where it was two years ago. This hurts.

Not meaning to highjack the thread but I was wondering if any of you have heard about a liquid fertilizer called Monty's. Guy across fence sells it and it sounds too good to be true. He says it runs $6/acre. Now, I'll be the first to admit his sales pitch sounds a bit tooooo goood to be true and he is after all a salesman. Now I'm not the type person to ride a new rollercoaster at a theme park and I'm gonna have to have to reliable data before I jump on it. Nevertheless, a friend of mine jumps on anything new and he has been using it for a year or so now and he says it appears to be working.

While I hope this stuff does work, I personally cannot see how you can put a pint or a quart of something to the acre and it replace 70-100 units of nitrogen. Supposedly, this stuff unlocks or makes available the existing nutrients in the soil.

If this is the case, and assuming this does work in this manner, with time would you not rob the soil reserves that you have built up kinda like whats happening with social security?

I honestly don't know the answer and hate that I had to mention the actual product name but I am sincerely interested if any of you have ever tried it or have heard any results from it other than from the sales staff.

I cant find any prices but here is the link to its website. I fit reallyt is that cheap I think I will give it a try.

http://www.montysinternational.com/contact_us.htm

3MR":3bh6iatx said:
Jogeephus":3bh6iatx said:

I cant find any prices but here is the link to its website. I fit reallyt is that cheap I think I will give it a try.

http://www.montysinternational.com/contact_us.htm

I called a local dealer and was quoted 16 ounces per acre, 2.5 gal. for 20 acres - $130.00. That's $6.50 per acre. You can go to 24 ounces per acre, $195.00 - $9.75 per acre. He said existing customers claim it don't do as good as the 400# per acre for $420.00 per ton granular we've been using, but that it does very good for the price, and they put it out several times between cuttings....I guess I'll try some after (if ever) I get this crop cut and baled........its raining again out there right now.............. :shock: :shock:

Jogeephus":qse40bfc said:

Jogeephus,had a few neighbors try it,as a guy close by is hawking it,their opinion is ..........wasted money!
good luck
PS looking at their fields ,I would certainly agree.

We paid $35/acre this spring for the Coop to spread it. It really helped. We cut this field for the first time last year and it was a big disappointment. This year we've already more than doubled our crop just from the first cutting. Thinking about having a little alfalfa drilled into it next spring.

HAY MAKER":2okdkktf said:
Jogeephus":2okdkktf said:

Jogeephus,had a few neighbors try it,as a guy close by is hawking it,their opinion is ..........wasted money!
good luck
PS looking at their fields ,I would certainly agree.

Thanks Haymaker, I was hoping to get some visual opinions other than my own. I haven't tried it cause it just doesn't make sense based on the nutrient cycle as I understand it. But I got no problem watching others and asking questions.

By the way, do you put up much horse hay?

Our mix of fertilizer cost us $45/acre this year.

We put up 4x5 bales, 1st crop we averaged 6.5 bales per acre.

2nd crop we averaged 2 bales per acre.

We have had virtually no rain between 1st & 2nd crop... only trace amounts. We have heavier ground, so we were lucky to get that. I don't know what hay is selling for around here. I don't like to buy.

Michele

mitch2":2jrhbzu3 said:

We have had virtually no rain between 1st & 2nd crop... only trace amounts. We have heavier ground, so we were lucky to get that. I don't know what hay is selling for around here. I don't like to buy.

Michele
Is that liquid or grainular? How many pounds per acre?

VZCR":2cgpgg71 said:
mitch2":2cgpgg71 said:

Michele
Is that liquid or grainular? How many pounds per acre?

Grainlular. #'s, don't remember, I'd have to dig bill back out, I'll try and remember tonight.

dcara":2aq9bich said:
My fert only costs were $56/ac for a new field (i.e establishment phase) back in March. Don't recall the mix though.
That is sure a good price, I have to pay $80.00 + per acre here. Do you spread it yourself or get someone to bring it out and spread it? :?:

Latest posts