Price for Finished Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":e1ijwwct said:
Roadhog You have no clue what the prices for anything are down here for anything so it might just be best to keep your thoughts to yourself

apparently you have no clue either. you stated that you haven't sold anything for 2 years, but could now, somehow, produce it cheaper! That's just not possible. feed costs are way up & the value of feeder calves is much higher as well. As far as I know feed costs are probably higher in Florida than it is here in Ohio. Then in another post you say you are making $350.00 a head ,& act like that's very little profit ,MY GOD MAN ! That's just greed ! & that's poor management- (try getting them finished in 15 mos instead of 25 ) :banana: I wish I had your customer list............................ :tiphat:

I'm not going to argue with you any longer roadhog.I refuse to work for pennies when people are happy with my product and my prices. Try not to be so jealous

hooknline":2092jhc4 said:
I'm not going to argue with you any longer roadhog.I refuse to work for pennies when people are happy with my product and my prices. Try not to be so jealous
Pennies ? $350.00 or more a hd profit ? oh you hobby farmers, that just love to give us real farmers a bad reputation.I feel sorry for you ,but more so for the people you call friends. I couldn't look my "friends" in the eye if I treated them like that. I hope the gas stations charge you $5.00 a gallon ,after all it's a good product & you keep coming back for more ! You have to be a Democrat ...................... :clap:

Ok, so I lied, ill argue all night long. If more full time farmers charged what their time is worth than maybe things could be better for farmers. Yes, I'm just a hobby farmer..is that a bad thing? How am I getting rich off selling 2 hd a year(maybe) when I can make 2 or 3 times that a DAY at my normal job? You just sound like a crotchety sad, pathetic, jealous old fart who doesn't charge enough for his product and resents anyone that does...how does that grab your sour azz?

hooknline":28n22mvs said:
Ok, so I lied, ill argue all night long. If more full time farmers charged what their time is worth than maybe things could be better for farmers. Yes, I'm just a hobby farmer..is that a bad thing? How am I getting rich off selling 2 hd a year(maybe) when I can make 2 or 3 times that a DAY at my normal job? You just sound like a crotchety sad, pathetic, jealous old fart who doesn't charge enough for his product and resents anyone that does...how does that grab your sour azz?

I prefer to live by the Golden Rule,maybe you need to look that up. I'll pray for you, & those like you.

mudfork":147dlkdz said:
We took our slaughter steers off this morning, but the scales at the slaughter house were broken so I couldn't get live weights. In order to price for my customers, I'm going to have to back into a live weight estimate based on hanging weight. The steers will range 900 to 1200 pounds live weight. What do you guys feel is a safe hanging weight ratio to live weight. What do you think is a fair price per pound of hanging weight for angus steers in excellent condition, finished on 1 to 2 percent of body weight per day of 50/50 cracked corn/dry corn gluten for 90 days?

Don't you just love it, when somebody's question turns into a battle on your post, that has little to do with your post l?

For everyone out here on this topic , if you THINK you're making money, if you THINK you're charging a fair price, if your customers AREN'T BYTCHING about your beef prices . . . . Then just agree to disagree about how you price stuff after you've stated your reasons, back off into your corner, cool down, quit name-calling, and be big boys about it. I'm still a bit amazed, but his business/your business isn't my business to pyss on! :bang:

You're right kathie. But someone calls me a cheat, I'm gonna respond. Mudfork, I hope you got the info you were looking for

hooknline":655ujb0d said:
You're right kathie. But someone calls me a cheat, I'm gonna respond. Mudfork, I hope you got the info you were looking for

Got that, HookNLine. Just wanted those involved in this gutting to understand the point I was trying to make. Believe me, I'll fight like a she-bytch when attacked, but maybe everyone shouldn't get all fired up, too fast, on a post that really has -0- to do with the poster's operation, who's just looking for information, and then it turns into a personal difference battleground. Just sayin . . . . . :???:

Kathie in Thorp":r7jcnjbh said:
mudfork":r7jcnjbh said:
We took our slaughter steers off this morning, but the scales at the slaughter house were broken so I couldn't get live weights. In order to price for my customers, I'm going to have to back into a live weight estimate based on hanging weight. The steers will range 900 to 1200 pounds live weight. What do you guys feel is a safe hanging weight ratio to live weight. What do you think is a fair price per pound of hanging weight for angus steers in excellent condition, finished on 1 to 2 percent of body weight per day of 50/50 cracked corn/dry corn gluten for 90 days?

Don't you just love it, when somebody's question turns into a battle on your post, that has little to do with your post l?

For everyone out here on this topic , if you THINK you're making money, if you THINK you're charging a fair price, if your customers AREN'T BYTCHING about your beef prices . . . . Then just agree to disagree about how you price stuff after you've stated your reasons, back off into your corner, cool down, quit name-calling, and be big boys about it. I'm still a bit amazed, but his business/your business isn't my business to pyss on! :bang:

I just :heart: love it when somebody (the forum police ??) gripes about others posting things that aren't relevant to a post,& then do the same dang thing !!! Kathie,(by the way that's not a beef above your name it's an ELK :eek:) :pretty: I was merely pointing out that you can do this & not overcharge , like Hookline does to make up for his mismanagement, & provide good beef to your friends & neighbors , at A FAIR market price . :cowboy: I would sure like to think that most people would agree that this world would be a much better place if we would help each other out a little bit more, instead of taking advantage of everyone we could . Yes ? Ask they guys in Texas,that are getting ripped off on hay right now ..................... :help:

just now with prices as they you if you sell an animal for slaughter you could expect in Verginia to recive $1.10 for these animals live. The range seams to be from $0.93 to $1.22 dependant on weight and grade.

So if you now are going to cut and wrap this and then sell the meat this way you need to achive a sale price of $2.44/# just to recive the same back for your animal as you would have sold it for that day at auction!! That is before you figure for the extra costs you incurred by carrying out the slaughter, wrapping etc.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":12nn7tqu said:
Kathie in Thorp":12nn7tqu said:
mudfork":12nn7tqu said:

I just :heart: love it when somebody (the forum police ??) gripes about others posting things that aren't relevant to a post,& then do the same dang thing !!! Kathie,(by the way that's not a beef above your name it's an ELK :eek:) :pretty: I was merely pointing out that you can do this & not overcharge , like Hookline does to make up for his mismanagement, & provide good beef to your friends & neighbors , at A FAIR market price . :cowboy: I would sure like to think that most people would agree that this world would be a much better place if we would help each other out a little bit more, instead of taking advantage of everyone we could . Yes ? Ask they guys in Texas,that are getting ripped off on hay right now ..................... :help:

Why, that's very observant of you, Hereford Roadhog! :)

Road Hog- I would like to comment on your thoughts about "real farmers." You are not a real farmer because you run 1000 head of beef and have all the fancy equipment. Some of us are born into the lifestyle. I am not a "hobby farmer" because I have to be. I choose to farm beef. I am raising my children on a farm that their mother was raised on. And just because me hook and some of the others on here go to work somewhere other than a "pasture" every day does not make us any less of a farmer than you. We all step in the same cow shyte as you do. When you only have the resources to run a few head, you try to do what you need to get by. At the end of the day we all raise a quality product and do not have any problem selling it. After all grocery store beef is selling above $4.00/lb. I'm not sure that anyone has said that they are selling their beef above that. If you can give your stuff away and still pay the bills then by all means do it. I'll continue to operate as a "hobby farmer" and enjoy doing it. I have nearly the same operating costs as you, if not more, and have fewer animals to sell. Take your buckeye, real farming azz out for a drink and pat yourself on the back for being such an idiot. And while you are at it by all of your "real farmer" pals a round. Probably will not need to buy too many since you are obviously in a class of your own.

expensive hobby":2cua3dpn said:
Road Hog- I would like to comment on your thoughts about "real farmers." You are not a real farmer because you run 1000 head of beef and have all the fancy equipment. Some of us are born into the lifestyle. I am not a "hobby farmer" because I have to be. I choose to farm beef. I am raising my children on a farm that their mother was raised on. And just because me hook and some of the others on here go to work somewhere other than a "pasture" every day does not make us any less of a farmer than you. We all step in the same cow shyte as you do. When you only have the resources to run a few head, you try to do what you need to get by. At the end of the day we all raise a quality product and do not have any problem selling it. After all grocery store beef is selling above $4.00/lb. I'm not sure that anyone has said that they are selling their beef above that. If you can give your stuff away and still pay the bills then by all means do it. I'll continue to operate as a "hobby farmer" and enjoy doing it. I have nearly the same operating costs as you, if not more, and have fewer animals to sell. Take your buckeye, real farming azz out for a drink and pat yourself on the back for being such an idiot. And while you are at it by all of your "real farmer" pals a round. Probably will not need to buy too many since you are obviously in a class of your own.

I just love it when the know- it -alls get on here & put words in ny mouth. Some of you were born with silver spoons in your mouth.I'm not a cattle rancher,never claimed to be . I don't have fancy equipment ,most of it is probably older than you. I even have a full time job off the farm.So hows that ? I just get sick & tired of when somebody asks a question about how to fairly price beef ,others get on here & post $4.00 a lb hanging wt,& think that's a great deal,even when selling to thier "friends" .It's NOT. There is still alot of trim loss,to consider that further raises the cost.P.S. If I bought the bar a round,then I'd have to add that to my beef costs too................right? :bang:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":kwxu8u8g said:
expensive hobby":kwxu8u8g said:

I just love it when the know- it -alls get on here & put words in ny mouth. Some of you were born with silver spoons in your mouth.I'm not a cattle rancher,never claimed to be . I don't have fancy equipment ,most of it is probably older than you. I even have a full time job off the farm.So hows that ? I just get sick & tired of when somebody asks a question about how to fairly price beef ,others get on here & post $4.00 a lb hanging wt,& think that's a great deal,even when selling to thier "friends" .It's NOT. There is still alot of trim loss,to consider that further raises the cost.P.S. If I bought the bar a round,then I'd have to add that to my beef costs too................right? :bang:

Does Herf RHog even have cattle! This song is dedicated to him. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EaWO-wbYE. So long, HRH!

roaddog reminds me of the nieghbors i told yall about? the ones that needed 4 horses and 6 guys to round up one rank steer...

standing under a cowboy hat dont make ya a cowboy :cry2:

dieselbeef":12gegctv said:
roaddog reminds me of the nieghbors i told yall about? the ones that needed 4 horses and 6 guys to round up one rank steer...

standing under a cowboy hat dont make ya a cowboy :cry2:
try to get another 2 horses for yourself and your other friend, it would work better if you all had horses.

dieselbeef":31gihz1i said:
horses are a good profit making too...how many ya got inbred
zero

the federal bureau of land management does not allow me to have horses.

Latest posts