Price for Finished Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

mudfork

Reaction score
We took our slaughter steers off this morning, but the scales at the slaughter house were broken so I couldn't get live weights. In order to price for my customers, I'm going to have to back into a live weight estimate based on hanging weight. The steers will range 900 to 1200 pounds live weight. What do you guys feel is a safe hanging weight ratio to live weight. What do you think is a fair price per pound of hanging weight for angus steers in excellent condition, finished on 1 to 2 percent of body weight per day of 50/50 cracked corn/dry corn gluten for 90 days?

Let me get my popcorn made.
I was charging 4.00/ lb hanging for natural raised grain finished. But I've been able to get costs lower and will drop to 3.50/lb hanging

Because I price it based on how much I have into it. My cost goes down and so the price does. Based on profit margins. It used to cost me 400 for calf at 350lbs, anywhere from 1.50 to 2.00 a day for 2 years plus about 200 in grain to finish. That's the main reason I started growing our own calves.

And, the price includes hauling 1.5 hrs (one way)to butcher, .40/lb butcher cost and 45 dollar kill fee

Because I sell to a lot of friends. they know how I grow em, how I operate, and know exactly what they are getting. Some might say I'm taking advantage (and I've been accused of that here verytime this comes up) , but I promise I'm not making enough profit to even worry bout it. Especially with online specialty retailers and whole foods charging 5/lb for ground.

I can arrange shipping :mrgreen:
Actually, I havnt sold anything in 2 years. People keep asking me to, but we changed a few things up with the breeding instead of buying and we are at that awkward in between stage

Mid MO area, just raised to $1.90 hanging weight. Figure a 40% loss from live weight. Customer pays all fees at butcher. Answer you are looking for?

4.30/lb finished and packaged. Grass finished is up to the customer when they pre-order. I've found that they really don't care if it's grass finished or not.

My kill weights are around 1000lbs.

hooknline":15lsdt72 said:
I can arrange shipping :mrgreen:
Actually, I havn't sold anything in 2 years. People keep asking me to, but we changed a few things up with the breeding instead of buying and we are at that awkward in between stage
So in the past 2 years , corn has doubled, protein is much higher , feeder calves are also higher ,so how are you possibly raising them cheaper ??? there's NO WAY ! Also , at $4.00 a # I can't see how you have many friends left. If you're not making much profit at those prices ,give up now.
I figure about 60% from live wt. to hanging wt. If the top end of the mkt is $1.20 you would be looking at $2.00 a lb. hanging wt. I deliver it to the processer ,the customer pays the processing & picks it up. I don't have to "take what I get" from the sale barn, pay the commision or other fees ,& I still would have to haul them ,so it's fair to eveyone. :cboy:

OK, I'm confused on this thread also. With current market of 400 lb. calves up over $1.40 lb. live . . . . and you have to feed them to near 1,000 lbs. finished., how are you making money at under $2/lb. hanging?

Roadhog You have no clue what the prices for anything are down here for anything so it might just be best to keep your thoughts to yourself

mudfork":1kbnb3vs said:
We took our slaughter steers off this morning, but the scales at the slaughter house were broken so I couldn't get live weights. In order to price for my customers, I'm going to have to back into a live weight estimate based on hanging weight. The steers will range 900 to 1200 pounds live weight. What do you guys feel is a safe hanging weight ratio to live weight. What do you think is a fair price per pound of hanging weight for angus steers in excellent condition, finished on 1 to 2 percent of body weight per day of 50/50 cracked corn/dry corn gluten for 90 days?
This is a fair price.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lsddcbs.pdf

Hook- I'm going to go with Hereford Road Dog on this one. $4.00/lb should be bringing you some extra $$$$$. You should not be upset with his generous feed back.....after all, you did ask for other opinions. Certainly none of us know what your costs are down there in Florida. We are just going from what we know to be true. I sell 1000lb steers at hanging weight (600lbs) at 2.50/lb. This includes the cutting and wrapping fees of $0.45/lb. I pay the kill fee of $40.00/head and truck the animals to the packer myself. These are grain finished steers(not grass finished). Look for a 40% loss from live weight to rail weight. And another 30-40% loss after the cuts are boned and trimmed further. I am only selling to some of my co-workers and people from church and not looking to make any money from them. I figure that I am breaking even at this price (and my time is not included in these calculations). If you think that your price is fair and you are moving your beef then all is well. Just realize that your situation is not typical.

Oooooops......sorry Hook. I thought that this was your thread. Come to realize that you were not the one asking for feed back...it was Mudfork's question. Anyway, point is do what you need to do as long as it works for you.