Price for a newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred":3a0n6e3d said:
I had a heifer calve born whose mother abandoned it, I gave it colastrum, then bottle feed it for a couple days. So, it was about 4 days old, I sold it for $100.00, the buyer was way to eager to pay that price, whats the going price for a calve that old?

Don't dwell on it Rowdy. The guy has a calf and you got rid of one you didn't want. Nobody got hurt. Enjoy your cattle ;-)

Taurus":2f49r19c said:
So now I'm a bad guy here for sold a heifer calf to a 17 years old girl?
dont let them get you down.they like to pull this on members here.you was more than fair to my way of thinking.

Taurus":9ygzy750 said:
So now I'm a bad guy here for sold a heifer calf to a 17 years old girl?
I didn't say that--I said I was guessing. It may be that she could easily afford market price for a project calf. It may be that she was tickled pink to get that calf for that price. Guessing.
I like to see kids involved in ag, and if I can help them I will. I've known kids that had the place for a calf, really wanted to raise or show one, but just couldn't afford one and ended up with rabbits or chickens, or God forbid, a stinkin' goat (enter the required "not that there's anything wrong with that" disclaimer). This area used to be filled with dairy and beef farms and ranches, Not any more, and it's not so much that the young folks don't want to, it's because they just can't find a way to get started in it.

Someone helped me out with my first one. A black Angus heifer around 1966. There weren't many Angus in this area back then--it was still all Brahma cross and Herefords. A young lady (about 21) had some registered Angus about 15 miles from me and I wanted to raise one for my first calf. I didn't have enough $$ saved up, and my father told me he would help me with a Hereford, but wasn't going to go it for a registered animal and if I wanted it, I would have to save for it (a life lesson). I told the girl I wanted the calf, explained I didn't have enough cash, and she thought a minute, and said let me have it for what I did have, if I would pay the rest out in installments of $10/week. $10/week was a lot of money for me back then. She didn't have to do that, but it got me a calf and got me hooked on cattle, and I ain't never forgot that she was willing to take a chance on someone she had never met.

in sales it is "what the market will bear" every market is different, every person is different. if all parties have a clear conscious all is well.

TexasBred":19cql3yf said:
rowdyred":19cql3yf said:
I had a heifer calve born whose mother abandoned it, I gave it colastrum, then bottle feed it for a couple days. So, it was about 4 days old, I sold it for $100.00, the buyer was way to eager to pay that price, whats the going price for a calve that old?

Don't dwell on it Rowdy. The guy has a calf and you got rid of one you didn't want. Nobody got hurt. Enjoy your cattle ;-)
Thanks, Hope everybody has a great day!!

M5farm":1fexdxe8 said:
in sales it is "what the market will bear" every market is different, every person is different. if all parties have a clear conscious all is well.

In other words "I'm not screwed unless I think I'm screwed"???

TexasBred":274j5s1z said:
M5farm":274j5s1z said:

Exactly :tiphat: Win(seller get his price) Win (buyer gets there price)

unless I read it wrong the seller had added value to his heifer, halter broke,imprinted, the calf probably showed signs of affection toward seller if only because of her daily feeding. all of these things are tangible and negotiable the value of it is mostly determined by what the buyer is willing to pay.

TexasBred":2t6iqsnu said:
M5farm":2t6iqsnu said:

I agree with that too.
I bought a pristine 84 Indy Fiero a few years back, and paid quite a bit of money for considering what it is. Paid the seller's asking price without a blink. Many in the Fiero world thought I overpaid--but it was the car I wanted--I knew the car (a Texas non rust belt car) and I knew the owner, and I knew he had taken meticulous care of it--and I knew, that it was a 20 year old car with only 65K miles on it. Both myself and seller were/are happy with the deal.

And, that brings up an age old point. The monetary value of anything is only what someone else is willing to pay for it.

greybeard":3l70ahf2 said:
Taurus":3l70ahf2 said:
Gelbvieh 5":3l70ahf2 said:
That must have been the low point of your career in the cattle business. You need to go to confession. :frowns:
Why? What I do wrong?
I'm guessing Taurus, that he's talking about the 4H part. I understand no one likes to lose $$ and we've only sold a couple private for 4H/FFA, but I let them go for little or nothing simply because it was 4H. Lot of those kids have the desire to raise one, want the experience, but just come from families that don't have a lot of $$--times are hard in this county anyway.

Same tune different song here, GB. As members of The Robertson County Chapter of the KY Cattle Association, we each chipped in $50 to $100 per member and purchased a show heifer to be given to the 4H participant who wrote the best essay on what it would mean to them and their aspirations to win a show heifer. It was a nice thing to be part of. Robertson County is a poor KY county. There is nothing here but a small County Seat (only one service station town) and Blue Licks State Park (the last skirmish of the revolutionary war in which Daniel Boone was involved). For history lovers:

As they reached the north shore of the Licking, the Kentuckians began to ready for an attack. An advance column of Kentuckians then proceeded up a hill where some Indians had been spotted, followed by three groups of the main force. Todd commanded the center; Trigg led the right flank, and Boone the left. As the advance party reached within 50 yards of an area of ravines, the British and Indians who had been lying in wait launched their attack on the Kentuckians.

Within 15 minutes the Kentucky militiamen had been defeated. The British and Indians inflicted heavy casualties on the surprised Kentuckians, forcing them to flee for their lives. Both Todd and Trigg died in the battle, as did Daniel Boone's youngest son, Israel. A few of the Kentucky militia stood their ground, trying to provide cover for their retreating comrades. The Indians pursued the routed Kentuckians for about two miles, and then came back to the battlefield to scalp and mutilate their victims. The Kentuckians had lost some 70 men. The British and Indians suffered about two dozen casualties with only 10 killed. Logan's force of 500 men met some of the fleeing survivors about five miles from the battle site. Logan and his men arrived at Blue Licks and buried the grisly remains of their fallen comrades.

The Battle of Blue Licks did not have an effect on the Revolutionary War. It did, however, cause Gen. George Rogers Clark to lead another military expedition against the Indians in Ohio. He destroyed Chillicothe and five other Indian towns in his reprisal for Blue Licks. The power of the Indians in the Old Northwest had been weakened.

If you want the whole story, google Blue Licks Battle.

Around Texas you can't find a newborn beef calf for less than $325.... A couple months back I sold a pair of bottle calves we raised up that weren't even 250lbs...sold the pair for $1200

aubridges":gz2ppkpc said:
Around Texas you can't find a newborn beef calf for less than $325.... A couple months back I sold a pair of bottle calves we raised up that weren't even 250lbs...sold the pair for $1200
Depends on the calf. Some still don't bring enough to pay for hauling and commission.

Latest posts