Price for a newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
I had a heifer calve born whose mother abandoned it, I gave it colastrum, then bottle feed it for a couple days. So, it was about 4 days old, I sold it for $100.00, the buyer was way to eager to pay that price, whats the going price for a calve that old?

Craig Miller":2akia8xg said:
Limomike":2akia8xg said:
At least you got something for it.

Better than a stick in the eye! Or a dead calf.
well, that's the way I was looking at it, I really don't have the time right now and don't have any help, but I had no idea that I could have gotten that much, a should have ask around. Thanks, I hope I don't have another, but if I do, I'll know

Yep here a beef calf will be easily 250.00 at that age. Dairy maybe half that. If you got a whole passel of them call me......I'm not that far and I will gladly give you 100.00 each :mrgreen:

Yup he stole that calf! Typically a bottle beef calf will be expensive and usually priced at 200-350 depends on breed and gender. I sold a two month old bottle Angus x rodeo bucking bull heifer for $500 (the heifer was halter broke) to a 4H girl.

Taurus":29u9ba67 said:
Yup he stole that calf! Typically a bottle beef calf will be expensive and usually priced at 200-350 depends on breed and gender. I sold a two month old bottle Angus x rodeo bucking bull heifer for $500 (the heifer was halter broke) to a 4H girl.

That must have been the low point of your career in the cattle business. You need to go to confession. :frowns:

Gelbvieh 5":213hub4o said:
Taurus":213hub4o said:

That must have been the low point of your career in the cattle business. You need to go to confession. :frowns:
Why? What I do wrong?

Taurus":1ieroxm1 said:
Gelbvieh 5":1ieroxm1 said:
Taurus":1ieroxm1 said:

Why? What I do wrong?
I'm guessing Taurus, that he's talking about the 4H part. I understand no one likes to lose $$ and we've only sold a couple private for 4H/FFA, but I let them go for little or nothing simply because it was 4H. Lot of those kids have the desire to raise one, want the experience, but just come from families that don't have a lot of $$--times are hard in this county anyway.

greybeard":2w2bme0n said:
I'm guessing Taurus, that he's talking about the 4H part. I understand no one likes to lose $$ and we've only sold a couple private for 4H/FFA, but I let them go for little or nothing simply because it was 4H. Lot of those kids have the desire to raise one, want the experience, but just come from families that don't have a lot of $$--times are hard in this county anyway.

Ditto. We have given project calves away to kids. We have a bucket calf show here for children who are too young to show a market animal.
What was really cool is last year, a kid returned with his bucket calf for the Commercial Heifer show. He raised her until he was old enough to join 4-H.

Last I read on this board was bottle calves were bringing $150, so I wouldn't have known either. Guess I should research if it happens to me.

greybeard":11jwdasd said:
Taurus":11jwdasd said:
Gelbvieh 5":11jwdasd said:
Why? What I do wrong?
I guess that girl's family can afford 20 registered black angus cows, 30 registered Quarter horses, 18 Dorset sheep and 15 corriente cattle on their fancy ranch.

You can do anything you want Taurus but what you can't do is expect folks to pat you on the back because you overcharged the kid for what was probably not a heifer that would make a great 4H project.

Personally when i had the same opportunity I let the kid use the heifer for two years and AI'd her and she got to keep the calf. I also bought her a youth membership to the Gelbvieh Assn and helped her with feed and helped her pay her way to the National Junior show.

Why because she impressed me with her work ethic. Did I come out? No it cost me dearly. She overfed the heifer the last trimester and caused her to have a massive calf and I believe she damaged her bag also. Do I hold that against her. He[[ no! She learned some hard lessons and she made none of those mistakes with her next heifer project. She also became aquainted with one of the Major Gelbvieh operations in the country and has been mentored by them since then.

One thing i did not do is a "means test". If i had it would have proved what i already knew. Her family's net worth is more than mine. Who cares. It's about the kids, at least for me it is!

and just like you can't tell Calhoun what to do with his bull I can't tell you how to treat a 4H kid. If yo are OK with that transaction then that's all that matters!

Taurus, have you ever thought that maybe her folks made her use her own money she earned to purchase that heifer, OH yeah thats called life lessions. Yours was nobody is taking from me because your family has more, i bet they didn't work for it either, but you got yours good job. Its thinking like that, that keeps young people coming back.