Preventing Coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I'm trying to prevent some young heifers in the barn from developing coccidiosis. I took some notes a while back when someone mentioned using "ampro crumbles" or "decox" in the feed. Unfortunately, I have now tried to "google" those and can't find any information.
What is this stuff? Where can I find it? Until about what age would you continue to put in the feed?
Any further help is appreciated.
Thanks.

PS - We have used Corrid successfully in the water in the past once we figured out they had coccidiosis; however, I'm trying to prevent getting it.

UncleLA, look up Decoquinate (Deccox) and while doing that also look up Monensin (Rumensin) and read each. Both of these products are excellent and are preventives. Another product some folks use if Lasalocid (Bovatec) however, it is only a treatment. Personally I prefer the Monensin as it also gives you faster growth due to increased feed efficiency.

Your feed supplier will not have any of these for sale but you may be able to buy it from a feed manufacturer. Most folks just buy feed with the additives included in the feed. Just make sure that in a complete feed the Deccox is included at not less than 27.2 gr/ton and the Monensin is included at not less than 20 gr/ton. Anything less and you're just wasting your money.

I use a medicated calf starter and grower (depending on the calves) made by Land O lakes that has Deccox in it. it is marketed as a dairy calf feed. You should be able to find a medicated feed so you don't have to do any mixing.

CWT Angus":3lt1jcxq said:
I use a medicated calf starter and grower (depending on the calves) made by Land O lakes that has Deccox in it. it is marketed as a dairy calf feed. You should be able to find a medicated feed so you don't have to do any mixing.

This is usually the easiest method of preventing it along with sanitation even though I would prefer the same feed with Rumensin rather than the Deccox...but it's a good feed and should do you a good job.

Latest posts