Pretty cool weekend.

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
Had a few days off starting Friday. It has been awhile since I was able to really devote some substantial time to hunting, so that was my plan. Friday, I was going to scout for opening deer season on Saturday, and get in a little turkey hunting while I was at it.

But... instead, partly due to re-thinking priorities and life I spent Friday helping dad with some odds and ends and feeding, just to spend some time with him. 3/4ths of the way through the day, we were pulling into a pasture to feed and there was a flock of turkeys crossing the road. Not a real common place to see them. I looked and dad had his shot gun in the back seat, also very unusual. I pointed out the turkeys and we figured out a game plan after arguing over who was going to carry the gun. Finally convinced him, I wasn't taking his gun. Sat down and I called them in, in about 20 minutes. He hadn't shot a turkey in years and it used to be one of his favorite things to do. It was a good day.

Saturday, I woke up earlier than planned. Ended up killing time on this site for a bit before I was going to head out. Read the thread about Peg's daughter. Thought about the little girl that crawled into bed with me at 3 a.m., because there was dinosaurs in her bed. :shock: I ended up staying there getting elbowed and kneed in the face and ribs and taking everyone out for breakfast that morning. It was a really good morning.

Eventually made it hunting about 4:25 p.m. Didn't have a real game plan, and it was really late, so I just sat on a wheat field on the ground. Ended up finding this about 30 minutes later. Won't make the record books, and there are bigger deer around. But I was pretty happy considering everything.

Photo_6974E06B-8116-7EAD-3554-7DDC52F72E7F.jpg

WP_000026.jpg

I broke every rule in the hunting book. Didn't have a clue on movement, took a shower that morning with some cologne soap my wife buys me, wore blue jeans and solid orange jacket with no break up camo, walked into the place I was hunting at the time they were moving, parked about 50 yards away, wore my smelly leather work boots and was sitting on the ground against the trunk of an open oak tree.

This buck came from down wind and trotted across the open field behind me straight at the finger of trees I was in. He was within 100 yrds and should have busted me but he kept coming. Seemed like it was just meant to be, so I cut my season short and went home.

I go hunting in khaki's and and orange camo hat. If the deer get's close enough that I need camo he is 16 gauge range and will be introduced to a case pocket knife and a sausage grinder. I hunt most of the time sitting backed up to a tree or yaupon bush. I laugh at these goofball's up here camoed out like you wouldn't believe to go climb in a box stand. I always ask what are they trying to hide from red wasp? Seen one fellow at Wal Mart buying one of these scent cover bomb's that is like setting a roach bomb off in your living room and you are not going to notice. That is in that Big Biuck's living room and he aint going to miss anything. Here it better smell like pine,skunk or cow shyt for a cover scent. I prefer cow shyt as it is free I step in every pile I see on the way in. I have hunted all through the south and Texas these deer here are absolutely the toughest I have ever hunted in this thicket. You have to be a ghost if you see the same deer twice here.

I have shot more deer and elk while wearing blue jeans and a fannel shirt than the vast majority of hunters will in their life. The only camo I ever wear deer or elk hunting is rain gear that only comes in camo. And I never have hunted from a tree stand.

A friend of mine would see a bow hunter in full camo including face paint at the store. He would walk right up and bump into them and say, "sorry I didn't see you standing there."

Good for you keeping those darn dinosaur away.

Sounds like you have days off all figured out... Do you feel like a new man now? I know I always start out with big productive plans for my handfull of days off and when they're over I never get the productive stuff done but I see the quality of what did happen.

Don' t think I ever shot a deer I didn't first have to throw my cigarette down. CB I too like to sit at the base of a tree...stir up the rotted leaves and pine straw and dirt...sit down right in the middle of it.

Jogeephus":3hs1nyih said:
That was divine payment for warding off the dinosaurs. :tiphat:

It would be pretty hard to convince me otherwise. :D

cow pollinater":3hs1nyih said:
Sounds like you have days off all figured out... Do you feel like a new man now? I know I always start out with big productive plans for my handfull of days off and when they're over I never get the productive stuff done but I see the quality of what did happen.

The days off were nice, and I don't have that feeling that they were wasted. I understand completely what you mean, the time I think something should take to complete rarely matches the reality.

I've never liked hunting out of a blind . The biggest buck I've ever killed was about 5 yards from me . I was sitting at the base of a big white oak in the national forest . He was so close I could smell him . Sitting in a blind over corn isn't any fun to me . I like to hunt a scrape line or oak flat . I've seen more deer still hunting squirrels than most people see sitting in a blind .

JSCATTLE":1hlszvsy said:
I've never liked hunting out of a blind . The biggest buck I've ever killed was about 5 yards from me . I was sitting at the base of a big white oak in the national forest . He was so close I could smell him . Sitting in a blind over corn isn't any fun to me . I like to hunt a scrape line or oak flat . I've seen more deer still hunting squirrels than most people see sitting in a blind .

Brother that is the truth. I have killed a truck load squirrel hunting.

Caustic Burno":30d4zgiu said:
JSCATTLE":30d4zgiu said:

Brother that is the truth. I have killed a truck load squirrel hunting.

let me help you out
this is a squirrel
note- the long bushy tail and no antlers
SQUIRREL.jpg

this is a deer
note the antlers and much bigger than the squirrel
DEER1.jpg

sometimes it's hard to tell but with a trained eye it's simple really

Nice buck, CF. I came real close to bagging a big one with the Jeep yesterday morning as he followed a doe across the road, totally oblivious to traffic -- but the little 2-point behind him had to wait for me, so maybe that was all part of the big guy's plan.

Cross7 you don't understand you hit the woods with a load of buckshot in the barrel and throw it out when you get after a real squirrel. Secondly 6's work fine out to 15 to 20 step's.
Now that old Fox Squirrel isn't even in the same class when it comes to the Cat Squirrel.
Actually the fox is not even fun to hunt compared to the cat. Fox want's to play hide and seek.
Cat is hauling ass and if the heat get's turned up he is bailing out of the tree no matter how tall and will leave the country on the ground.
Read an article on the Cat Squirrel that it was stated if there where as many Cat's as Deer we would have never known they exsisted.
Also if you think you are going to use a 22 here in this thicket you better be pulling a radio flyer full of bullets and you might get enough to make a pot of dumplings.

Latest posts