President Sold Out

Help Support CattleToday:

I love making hay. I would probably sell all the cows before I would stop making hay. There is times when things don't go right but that's just life suck it up and roll on.

pricefarm":j79epjng said:
I love making hay. I would probably sell all the cows before I would stop making hay. There is times when things don't go right but that's just life suck it up and roll on.
Please remind me of that the next time I cut 20 acres on less than 30% rain chance and we get a 1" or more two days in a row.

True Grit Farms":1io325re said:
pricefarm":1io325re said:
Please remind me of that the next time I cut 20 acres on less than 30% rain chance and we get a 1" or more two days in a row.

Lol the weather men lie !!! That for sure is aggravating but Iam sure you and the cows will still be ok lol

M-5":1q9hv78t said:
people that cant handle it have never really had to deal with real world problems . Saying he is an ag teacher explains it . he's got that cushy state job and real work caused him to break .

Oh my. Another reminder that M-5 is doing the "real work." :)

With the price cattle are bringing around here I don't see how anybody could make any money if they buy all their hay/feed selling cattle at market prices. The only way I have made it,is working a public job and using the farm as a good tax write off. You dam sure don't make much. You put clothes on you back and a car and what you make on a public job is yours as everything you make on a farm goes back into it.

sstterry":275keqh9 said:
I know the feeling of frustration. I have a 10' hydraulic brush hog that got into some 12 ga high tensile wire last year. It is completely wrapped around both spindles underneath. I have tried and tired to figure a way to get access to fix it, but there is just no way. I am now going to have to have someone pick it up and take it to their shop so it can be put on a lift to get it fixed. I have fought with the darn thing for two weeks and I am now just frustrated that I am going to have to spend all that money to fix it!

Been there, I just flipped mine over very softly with the fil

midTN_Brangusman":2qtakdhy said:
I have always thought you can buy hay cheaper than you can produce it. Run more cows on the hay land.
I have never bought my hay as you maybe right as some years with a good hay crop hay is pretty cheap. I still believe I can grow it cheaper than buy though most years.

midTN_Brangusman":yft1me2p said:
I have always thought you can buy hay cheaper than you can produce it. Run more cows on the hay land.

I'm testing that theory this year. I'm running 120 head plus 90 calves on ground that used to carry 70 plus calves and produce hay. We're not cutting any hay this year.

Gonna be interesting to say the least. We've put up 371 rolls thus far from our normal hay ground that's not fenced and this time last year we had 600. We fed over 1,000 rolls this past winter.

midTN_Brangusman":2khetq7k said:
For starters there's a lot of ground available that you can cut hay on that you can't graze. And without hay equipment how do you take advantage of the good times? I cut 81 rolls off pastures that I normally need for grazing.
I don't like buying hay but I did this year because it was so dry early. We'll be selling hay for sure this year, the amount depends on the rain.

TennesseeTuxedo":5bkp1ym8 said:
midTN_Brangusman":5bkp1ym8 said:

I'm testing that theory this year. I'm running 120 head plus 90 calves on ground that used to carry 70 plus calves and produce hay. We're not cutting any hay this year.

Gonna be interesting to say the least. We've put up 371 rolls thus far from our normal hay ground that's not fenced and this time last year we had 600. We fed over 1,000 rolls this past winter.

Did you feed 1,000 rolls to 120 cows and 70 calves? If so that's amazing. Were the cows wet and the calves weaned yearlings? How much did the rolls weigh?

True Grit Farms":13ay5ogy said:
midTN_Brangusman":13ay5ogy said:
For starters, there's a lot of ground available that you can cut hay on that you can't graze. And without hay equipment how do you take advantage of the good times? I cut 81 rolls off pastures that I normally need for grazing.
I don't like buying hay but I did this year because it was so dry early. We'll be selling hay for sure this year, the amount depends on the rain.
With the late spring we had, I almost ran out and was tempted to buy hay. So far our area has decent rain and even though it was late, we got a good first cutting and it looks like the second cutting will be above average. But I am different than most of you, it is my land, my fertilize and my upkeep. I have a friend that mows, rolls and puts it in the shed for me for 1/2 of the hay. But seriously, I have thought about just buying it so that I can utilize those fields for pasture. After looking at the numbers, the cost of fertilizer, lime and spray are are just about equal to what I can buy it for.

jltrent":16ot7y65 said:
With the price cattle are bringing around here I don't see how anybody could make any money if they buy all their hay/feed selling cattle at market prices. The only way I have made it,is working a public job and using the farm as a good tax write off. You dam sure don't make much. You put clothes on you back and a car and what you make on a public job is yours as everything you make on a farm goes back into it.
I just read the Tennessee Livestock Market Report from the University of Tennessee, and that economist is very optimistic on Fall and Winter calf prices. But no one is going to get rich doing this!

sstterry":kgglro28 said:
True Grit Farms":kgglro28 said:
midTN_Brangusman":kgglro28 said:
For starters, there's a lot of ground available that you can cut hay on that you can't graze. And without hay equipment how do you take advantage of the good times? I cut 81 rolls off pastures that I normally need for grazing.
With the late spring we had, I almost ran out and was tempted to buy hay. So far our area has decent rain and even though it was late, we got a good first cutting and it looks like the second cutting will be above average. But I am different than most of you, it is my land, my fertilize and my upkeep. I have a friend that mows, rolls and puts it in the shed for me for 1/2 of the hay. But seriously, I have thought about just buying it so that I can utilize those fields for pasture. After looking at the numbers, the cost of fertilizer, lime and spray are are just about equal to what I can buy it for.
So different on my side of the river. I bet I'm not 30 miles north of you and unless it changes there will be no second cutting. Grass is Brown.

kenny thomas":iomb43d6 said:
sstterry":iomb43d6 said:
True Grit Farms":iomb43d6 said:
So different on my side of the river. I bet I'm not 30 miles north of you and unless it changes there will be no second cutting. Grass is Brown.

I hope you get some of the rain that is headed our way this weekend!

Lucky":3iqag8lf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3iqag8lf said:
midTN_Brangusman":3iqag8lf said:

Did you feed 1,000 rolls to 120 cows and 70 calves? If so that's amazing. Were the cows wet and the calves weaned yearlings? How much did the rolls weigh?

The first 700 were 4x5s but I don't know the weight. All of them were from 2017. Most of the next 200 were of similar origin. The last of it was 2 year old hay that lost quite a bit to the elements.

I don't want to go through another winter like we just had any time soon.

Latest posts