President Sold Out

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":qpfqgitf said:
The calves at the time were from the class of 2017 and I sold them in early February of this year. There were approximately 85 of them.

I'm just always surprised at how much people feed in some parts of the country, just like I'm always surprised at how many cows per acre some folks run. I'm at 1.5 bales per cow on an average year but I feed every day. If it doesn't rain soon I might feed 1,000 rolls this year. I usually feed 100 days a year. 30#'s hay per head and 3#'s 14% protein. I feed yearlings by weight so 6-8#'s commodity mix per head.

jltrent":fdc7lr9n said:
midTN_Brangusman":fdc7lr9n said:
I have always thought you can buy hay cheaper than you can produce it. Run more cows on the hay land.
I have never bought my hay as you maybe right as some years with a good hay crop hay is pretty cheap. I still believe I can grow it cheaper than buy though most years.

Are you including your equipment And fertilizer cost? I just replaced my transmission in my jd tractor $12,000. Would buy several rolls

a few concerns of buying hay.

1. it's usually made late. so now you have weed seeds , etc in your fields.

2. it's usually hard to get a large amount *around here... I'd be lucky to be able to find 200 rolls to buy.

3. quality is not there. For my hay quality, I'd be paying 80/roll.

4. Time.. even with a large trailer, hauling hundreds of rolls is pretty time consuming.

Lucky":t83fful3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":t83fful3 said:
The calves at the time were from the class of 2017 and I sold them in early February of this year. There were approximately 85 of them.

I'm just always surprised at how much people feed in some parts of the country, just like I'm always surprised at how many cows per acre some folks run. I'm at 1.5 bales per cow on an average year but I feed every day. If it doesn't rain soon I might feed 1,000 rolls this year. I usually feed 100 days a year. 30#'s hay per head and 3#'s 14% protein. I feed yearlings by weight so 6-8#'s commodity mix per head.

We fed from late October into mid April this year. It was a very late spring.

TennesseeTuxedo":2rotl1ya said:
Lucky":2rotl1ya said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2rotl1ya said:

Is that an every year deal for y'all? How many cows can y'all run per acre? I also unroll all my hay which really helps, downside is you have to feed everyday. Lots of times I end up feeding at 7:30-9:30 at night.

Lucky":28lwjh30 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":28lwjh30 said:
Lucky":28lwjh30 said:

Is that an every year deal for y'all? How many cows can y'all run per acre? I also unroll all my hay which really helps, downside is you have to feed everyday. Lots of times I end up feeding at 7:30-9:30 at night.

We don't unroll. Mud makes it prohibitive. This was an unusual year so no, we don't normally feed that many rolls. We're running a pair per acre.

Lucky":1pjrpql7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1pjrpql7 said:

I'm not understanding something here. You feed for 100 days but only 1.5 bales per cow. At 30# per head as you state that would make your rolls weigh 2000#. Is this correct?

kenny thomas":3dg86oao said:
Lucky":3dg86oao said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3dg86oao said:

I'm not understanding something here. You feed for 100 days but only 1.5 bales per cow. At 30# per head as you state that would make your rolls weigh 2000#. Is this correct?

I try to figure it so each cow gets 30# of hay per day unrolled everyday. If I go out and they still have some hay left from the day before I cut that days feed back. We have allot of warm days that they just don't eat as much. I always buy enough figuring 2.5 -3 bales per cow but I always have hay left. On a normal year I end up feeding 1.5-1.8 bales per cow. For several years I did this plus 3# comodity mix but with the hay I'm getting now they don't need it. Doing the math by bale weight I actually fed 20 pounds per head.

Most people say I don't feed enough but then I drive by thier place and there's half eaten rolls of hay in rings or worse just set out. The other thing is to have good hay. A bale of hay can weigh 2000 pounds but if it only has 750 pounds of stuff a cow will eat and get some good out of the rest is a waste.

I notice a lot of people here talk about how much a bale weighs; do you actually have scales to weigh your hay rolls? I never gave much thought to how many pounds of hay a cow eats per day. I always put out hay, and I notice when it's almost gone, and then I put out more. That usually comes to three rolls every three or four days. As far as I know, that's how everyone does it around here.

herofan":2di4b2qv said:
I notice a lot of people here talk about how much a bale weighs; do you actually have scales to weigh your hay rolls? I never gave much thought to how many pounds of hay a cow eats per day. I always put out hay, and I notice when it's almost gone, and then I put out more. That usually comes to three rolls every three or four days. As far as I know, that's how everyone does it around here.
I take a few rolls to the local landfill and they allow me to weigh them. They try to feed close to the cow needs.

I think most people around here over estimate hay weight. The farmer I'm buying from now has a set of truck scales and spot checks loads so he can sorta price hay by the ton. Most people still want a price per bale. The man I bought from for several years had platform scales and spot checked a few from each field.

herofan":2jcv4k8l said:
how do know or figure how much hay to buy or keep or whether you're making any profit?

i just weigh my truck/trailer at the feed mill.. then go back empty and weigh agan.

greybeard":3npt0rrv said:
herofan":3npt0rrv said:
how do know or figure how much hay to buy or keep or whether you're making any profit?

With the number of cattle I've had for the past several years, it's always around 5 rolls per cow, and I know the cost of it. Can the same size rolls really vary that much where you're from? It's not like I needed 100 rolls one winter and 150 the next due to them not weighing as much.

herofan":2dajyzd6 said:
greybeard":2dajyzd6 said:
herofan":2dajyzd6 said:

With the number of cattle I've had for the past several years, it's always around 5 rolls per cow, and I know the cost of it. Can the same size rolls really vary that much where you're from? It's not like I needed 100 rolls one winter and 150 the next due to them not weighing as much.

Does nobody else do it this way? Does everyone else go by weight?

I go by rolls. But I also know pretty close to what my rolls weigh. And I always pull hay samples and adjust how much and what supplements, if any, are needed.

JMJ Farms":2x6s97u9 said:
I go by rolls. But I also know pretty close to what my rolls weigh. And I always pull hay samples and adjust how much and what supplements, if any, are needed.

Do you send the samples off or have it done at a local place?

Lucky":22xozbmt said:
JMJ Farms":22xozbmt said:

Take them to my local extension office and the my send the to the University of Georgia. It's around $17 per sample. Really helps me a lot to know what I have.

JMJ Farms":1c1n197u said:
Lucky":1c1n197u said:
JMJ Farms":1c1n197u said:

Take them to my local extension office and the my send the to the University of Georgia. It's around $17 per sample. Really helps me a lot to know what I have.

Thanks. I tried to find somewhere to take mine last year and didn't have any luck. I'm also interested in seeing how much protien the hay looses after it sits in a barn for a year.

Latest posts