PREPARING FOR A STORM

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
What do all of yall costal guys do to prepare for a hurricane ? cattle wise? I'm up from the coastal a bit but we still get high winds & rain Not to worried about the water as much unless we get a very lot of rain.
THANKS

you know, i was thinking the same thing this morning. gotta move the trailer, but where to? the middle of the field? no, wind could just whip it around (at least since Katrina-no trees to worry about); hooking it to the truck kinda makes sense, but still depends on the wind speed. Pulling the "herd" (we only have 8 - they're for showing) to the front 5 acre pasture, then in case of really bad weather, can push them to the corral with the babies and not have to worry about wind or tornadoes whipping a young one away and can see from the house any fence row damage. how else can you prepare???? just watch and pay attention, then roll with the punches. by the way, what part of LA? we are in Bogalusa - about 60 mi north of New Orleans. getting ready to hunker down- still a little gun-shy.

OH NO. not that far down. we are up north of lafayette,. How else,? what if you have flooded fields, No grass to eat. than what? Extra hay or feed. feed stores will be closed. stack some hay up high. maybe just trying to see if anyone does any thing. It looks like now they put a spread on the tracking the thing some west, some east one not changed. i'm getting extra feed just in case. After lili, than katrina & Rita. i moved north. still get high winds but, you would be amazed 45min. north makes

OMG, I had a flashback to when it was thought Hurricane Rita was going to hit Houston. Fortunately we have two trucks and multiple trailers. My husband pulled a gooseneck stock trailer with our show horses and I pulled a bumper pull two horse trailer with the partition taken out with our Jersey cow and our daughter's registered show heifer. We had the trucks packed with kids, pets and belongings and went to my BIL's dairy. It was a nightmare getting there. A normal two hour drive took over eight hours.

The other livestock was left at home to rough it.

my home is in Robert, la....my farm is up around mccomb ms...my job is in the new orleans area...i'll take care of the cattle thursday and friday and stay at home during the storm...i'm afraid if i go to mississipi during the storm i won't be able to get back home...katrina was hell...no power 3 weeks.. trees and fences down ..trees still dying from the storm stress....no crying just giving a discription of what typically happens during a storm threat...

I think my biggest worry would be that trees would take out fences and the cattle would get out on the road, etc.

Have they determined it's going to hit LA? Earlier today they had figured the Gulf, but still weren't clear about where. Anywhere between Florida panhandle and south Texas.

We could use more rain!

YEA fuel for truck, Tractors, Four wheeler, boat!!! generator if i can find one lots of ice, & water
Yea i to think about my tree lines taking out my fences . Its any ones storm right now but it keeps looking like central La. not a good place to hit looks of city. a little west is not as populated. I thinking about getting round bales a little earlier than i want to. And hope for the best

It looks like it's slowed down a little anyway.. shows it coming inland on Tuesday instead of the weekend. That's good.. gives everyone a little more chance to get ready. They are still not sure where it's going to hit, said they would know more Sunday when it actually got into the coast.

Be careful everyone! I know the people from Florida are sure happy it's going to miss them this time!

AND theres another one right behind this one. there pretty much saying central La. right up my back side. Its still a lot of uncertainy but most of the models i've seen, Yup were goingto get it. i'm ready

I've posted this in the Coffee Shop, but just in case...
if anyone has any extra room for fellow farmers, please contact Debra Barlow of Hopeful Haven. Folks down in Vermillion Parish know her well - and she's at it again... I'm just an elf, so if you have any room to offer them, please email or call Debra and let her know directly. Our prayers follow you all...

Please crosspost immediately!

If you can open your farm land for people evacuating to house their livestock and have space to put up people evacuating with their livestock, please email me asap and let me know as we prepare for Hurricane approaching. We will keep an eye on it and let you know the needs as the week progresses. I only need the evacuation space to be in Northern LA, TX and Southern Ark and Southern OK.....Most people are just trying to get out of harms way for a few days until its safe to return. Livestock owners are usually a who different breed of people than just people looking for a shelter. These are cattle and horse owners who are escaping with their livelihood as we saw in Hurricane Rita. Please email me asap and let me know if you have space or land available to house during this time of disaster. Pray for mercy for all!

Respectfully yours,

Debra A. Barlow
President & Certified
Animal Cruelty Investigator

www.hopefulhaven.com
[email protected]

Latest posts