pregnant

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
This is the third time my jip gets pregnant, and I don't want more puppies to get rid of. How many days from the time she has the puppies till she'll come in heat again ? I know someone will say to have her spade, but she is a registered catahula, and I wanted a registered litter. This time it'll be half lab. She's a good dog for the place and I don't want to keep her penned up longer than I have to.

It's your dog so you should have a better idea then anyone. We've had them come in again a couple of months and some not for a year, varies by dog.

dun":7g9v4ec1 said:
It's your dog so you should have a better idea then anyone. We've had them come in again a couple of months and some not for a year, varies by dog.
That's my problem, she was three years old and never came in heat, I thought she was barin. Then bam, she was pregnant and had thirteen puppies. Kind of figured out about when her next cycle would be and nothing. A year from her first litter she has twelve. So then I figured it was going to be a yearly thing. She's at the sixth month point now about to drop within the next two weeks. She's worse than the weather. Just thought I was missing something.

Dogs should come into heat every 6 months, lasting 21 days, which includes 7-10 days of pre estrus spotting. If your dog doesnt come into heat every 6 months you should either get her spayed or have her checked by a vet to see why she isnt comming into heat, but it probably is a problem that can be genetic and she should be spayed in that case anyways. Just because she is reg doesnt mean she should be bred.

dogs do as individuals come into heat at different than text book times. I have some that come in heat once a year, others every 6 months on the nose. Many large breeds do not have their first heat until well after 1 year of age. I wouldnt spay a dog based on her not reading the text books. its not abnormal.
You really should pay attention though and when you see her swelling up and getting floppy in her nether regions...pen her up so she cant get out and no other males get in. If you really want a registered litter of Catahoulas that is the only way you are going to get one. when these pups are 3 or 4 months old, start watching her for signs so you dont miss her coming in again. If you do get her bred to a good dog, post some pics! catahoula pups are waaaay cute!

Male dogs will follow a female coming in heat 4-5 days before she will "consent" to breed.....should be more than enough time to catch her and put her up for a week....never have another unwanted pg.

Well, no pictures yet, but she had eleven a couple weeks ago. If they would have been pure i could have made a good chunk of change with that litter.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2rxriyh0 said:
While you are hoping for a purebred/registered litter there have been 36 pups born to face an uncertain home.

I dont hope for purebred registered litters, I plan them out and breed them accordingly, my breeding a litter of purebred dogs has nothing to do with those facing uncertainty in the pound due to the ignorant who dont care about their dogs. you can preach PETA propaganda all you want but none of it is true. PETA and their views have no place here as far as I am concerned. Ingrid Newkirk considers humans a blight on this earth and beings as there is no way to spay and neuter every single person on this planet there by guaranteeing human extinction, she does her best to convince the world that ALL domesticated animals should be extinct to save them from the blight of the human race. this means your cattle, hogs, goats and horses too. The load of crap they spew about for every purebred dog born a shelter dog dies is just that, a load of crap. IF people do not want a dog from the pound they arent going to get one. if people want a purebred dog they will get one. its not about anyone else telling me what I should want and what I shouldnt. I hate PETA and the HSUS and the rest of the fanatics who feel they have a right to push their beliefs on the rest of the world. check out wayne pacell's quotes
http://www.activistcash.com/organizatio ... fm/oid/136
check out how many pets PETA has killed over 90 percent of the animals it took in to its very own shelter in virginia claiming that they were unadoptable!! puppies and kittens not adoptable??? This was a court ordered audit of their shelter and it took them 2 years to hand it over as they did not want the world to know what they do.
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm
Jfont had an accident happen, He didnt run out and breed that litter of curs on purpose. sometimes crap happens. its his business and nobody elses. the only time it becomes someone elses business is when there is abuse and neglect and hoarding. so what if he ever breeds a litter of purebred catahoulas, wether he does or not will NEVER affect the dogs dumped at the shelters by ignorant people. They will be dumped regardless.
Maybe I am a little out of line here but what you posted smacks of PETA and the filth they spew. I have a hard time understanding how you could spread their messages when you own cattle. to them you are the scourge of the earth and they wish nothing but to set your cattle free and burn your house down while they are at it...

5minpins":2xk7s2p5 said:
Maybe I am a little out of line here but what you posted smacks of PETA and the filth they spew.

Yup, a little out of line. A simple fact was posted and you jumped on it like a mad dog.

jfont, looking forward to seeing your pups. I will need another outside dog as my Lucy is failing fast. Good luck with your pups. Tom :cboy:

dun":2qagrzgd said:
5minpins":2qagrzgd said:
Maybe I am a little out of line here but what you posted smacks of PETA and the filth they spew.

Yup, a little out of line. A simple fact was posted and you jumped on it like a mad dog.

Sorry Dun, but its not a fact. Its a lie. I have it shoved in my face every day that anyone that breeds an animal is a monster. I breed and show dogs and the amount of canine legislation that is proposed on a daily basis is outrageous. You might not be aware of the anti breeding laws that are out there but going after dog and cat breeding is just the first step in taking away your rights to own or breed ANY animal. Your cows are on the list too...

5minpins":3srgdomw said:
dun":3srgdomw said:
5minpins":3srgdomw said:

Sorry Dun, but its not a fact. Its a lie. I have it shoved in my face every day that anyone that breeds an animal is a monster. I breed and show dogs and the amount of canine legislation that is proposed on a daily basis is outrageous. You might not be aware of the anti breeding laws that are out there but going after dog and cat breeding is just the first step in taking away your rights to own or breed ANY animal. Your cows are on the list too...

What part of this is the lie?
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3srgdomw said:
While you are hoping for a purebred/registered litter there have been 36 pups born to face an uncertain home.

They do make the "pill" for dogs which is quite effective. Or at least they used to, I think they still do.

Talk to your vet .

dun":16g1lajf said:
What part of this is the lie?
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":16g1lajf said:

what part of it is truth?? I because I bred a litter of purebred puppies someone else bred 6 or 7 litters of puppies and dumped them at the pound to die? where did the 36 puppies come from? how is their future uncertain just because I have a litter of purebreds? why is there an uncertain future for each one of those? where is the proof that all 36 pups have an uncertain future? there isnt even proof that my purebred pups dont have an uncertain future, what makes it uncertain? there is no proof that that statement is true.

I would not ever get on here and argue about red angus with you and question what you know. You raise them, you are very knowledgable about them. what little I know about them will never make me an expert on them. What I do know about is raising purebred dogs, maybe you do to but I dont know that. I do know that daily PETA and the like spend millions to stop people like me.

ah! just counting Jfonts pups, but it doesnt matter. He can have all the pups he wants their future is not anymore uncertain than the litter of purebred pups that he hopes for. there is still no truth to the statement, its still not a fact.

5minpins":29hv5wac said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":29hv5wac said:

I dont hope for purebred registered litters, I plan them out and breed them accordingly, my breeding a litter of purebred dogs has nothing to do with those facing uncertainty in the pound due to the ignorant who dont care about their dogs. you can preach PETA propaganda all you want but none of it is true. PETA and their views have no place here as far as I am concerned. Ingrid Newkirk considers humans a blight on this earth and beings as there is no way to spay and neuter every single person on this planet there by guaranteeing human extinction, she does her best to convince the world that ALL domesticated animals should be extinct to save them from the blight of the human race. this means your cattle, hogs, goats and horses too. The load of crap they spew about for every purebred dog born a shelter dog dies is just that, a load of crap. IF people do not want a dog from the pound they arent going to get one. if people want a purebred dog they will get one. its not about anyone else telling me what I should want and what I shouldnt. I hate PETA and the HSUS and the rest of the fanatics who feel they have a right to push their beliefs on the rest of the world. check out wayne pacell's quotes
http://www.activistcash.com/organizatio ... fm/oid/136
check out how many pets PETA has killed over 90 percent of the animals it took in to its very own shelter in virginia claiming that they were unadoptable!! puppies and kittens not adoptable??? This was a court ordered audit of their shelter and it took them 2 years to hand it over as they did not want the world to know what they do.
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm
Jfont had an accident happen, He didnt run out and breed that litter of curs on purpose. sometimes crap happens. its his business and nobody elses. the only time it becomes someone elses business is when there is abuse and neglect and hoarding. so what if he ever breeds a litter of purebred catahoulas, wether he does or not will NEVER affect the dogs dumped at the shelters by ignorant people. They will be dumped regardless.
Maybe I am a little out of line here but what you posted smacks of PETA and the filth they spew. I have a hard time understanding how you could spread their messages when you own cattle. to them you are the scourge of the earth and they wish nothing but to set your cattle free and burn your house down while they are at it...
WHOA there 5minpins. My post was not aimed at you it was aimed at the person who started this thread. My post "smacks" of PETA :?: Give me a break, I am against groups like PETA just like any other cattle rancher or dog breeder. My point was being irresponsible about a dog getting bred 36 pups later is not a good thing for the pups. Any animal that is bred on purpose and has purebred/registered offspring may or may not go to a good home but the chances are alot better than unwanted animals given away or sold to people who think they want it. Or worse yet just taking those animal to the pound because it's easier to dispose of them.

You as a responsible dog breeder should understand my point better than anyone else. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with PETA.

Thanks for bombbarding me,don't think I deserved it.

Latest posts