Pregnant donkey??

Help Support CattleToday:

If you see tiny hooves coming out from under her tail ~ you will know. Short of that, a vet check.
Good luck, babydonkeys are cute enough to kiss! I think they have a 13 mo. gestation.

The first question you would need answered is COULD she be pregnant. If she was exposed to a stud then the gestation period for a donkey can run 11 to 14 months and the average is right at 12.

Quit being a cheapskate and take her to the vet for a preg check.

3waycross":936acbti said:
The first question you would need answered is COULD she be pregnant. If she was exposed to a stud then the gestation period for a donkey can run 11 to 14 months and the average is right at 12.

Really.....is that how it works???

sheilad916":3y7ubxbb said:
3waycross":3y7ubxbb said:

Really.....is that how it works???

No really what you could do is get on a cattle forum and giving almost no information to go on, ask a couple of thousand perfect strangers to guess if your donkey is knocked up.

How the heck would we know you didn't tell us anything other than she is FAT.

Well... First of all let me apologise for not asking my question correctly. Thank you 3waycross for making this apparent. You are so kind, bless your heart! I'm new here, as i'm sure you know, so thanks for the warm welcome. Angie you're cool.

Secondly, I should rephrase my question.

Does anybody know if there is a way to tell if a jenny is pregnant. I have had these donkey girls for about 3 months now, and the man I got them from couldn't tell me much more than "they were in my pasture with a jack". They look kinda fat (not like they're gonna pop, but like they may be showing pregnancy) not bagging up at all yet.
I'm really hoping for some donkey babies!! The suspense is killing me, can't wait for the vet. If there is a trick (and maybe there's not) that old farmers once did to determine this, please share!!! Thank you! :heart:

sheilad916":r3c473iv said:
Well... First of all let me apologise for not asking my question correctly. Thank you 3waycross for making this apparent. You are so kind, bless your heart! I'm new here, as i'm sure you know, so thanks for the warm welcome. Angie you're cool.

Secondly, I should rephrase my question.

Does anybody know if there is a way to tell if a jenny is pregnant. I have had these donkey girls for about 3 months now, and the man I got them from couldn't tell me much more than "they were in my pasture with a jack". They look kinda fat (not like they're gonna pop, but like they may be showing pregnancy) not bagging up at all yet.
I'm really hoping for some donkey babies!! The suspense is killing me, can't wait for the vet. If there is a trick (and maybe there's not) that old farmers once did to determine this, please share!!! Thank you! :heart:

A week or two before they foal they will make a bag and when birth is imminent the bag will attain a waxy appearance.

If you want to know before that ............................................call the vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW..... you are only about the 10,000,000,000th person who has come on here and asked the same kind of question, and it's usually because they want or need free vetrinary advice over the internet and they NEVER give enough information for anyone to even make a decent guess.

Stick around here for a while and after you hve seen some one post for the millionth time "My cow is dying what should I do"? You will get tired of it too.
In the mean time welcome to Cattle Today home a a couple of thousand really nice people and just a few ole soreheads. :welcome:

Hey Sheila, really short of a vet check there is no way to know ~ especially if they are less than 3 mos along. There are more than enough "old farmers" on here, but I don't know if they would tell you any different. Beware of anyone telling you to do something completly ridiculous and embarrassing ~ they are doing this to get a laugh when you report back on your findings (as many comedians on here as "old farmers" :roll: ). Find out from your vet what you can safely worm them with (worming is IMPORTANT!), treat them as bred until you know otherwise. If, in about 10 months, you have not been blessed with a new baby Angus Cowman you will know they were not bred. You should find out though, as you will want to keep and eye on them as they get closer.

In the meantime, welcome to CT ~ where the bark is worse than the bite. ;-)

3waycross":2ctzxcv1 said:
If you want to know before that ............................................call the vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaaaah, still fighting fit I see. ;-)

alisonb":2ccex5ss said:
3waycross":2ccex5ss said:
Aaaaah, still fighting fit I see. ;-)

Still having fits is probably more accurate :help:

at least most of the voices have stopped. :oops:

Is there a blood test for donkeys like there is for cattle ? Also, what about heats, do they mess around with each other even if there is no stud around like cattle do when they are in heat.. Sorry , I am limited on my donkey knowledge.. ;-)

BTW welcome to CT.. :welcome:

Ummm ~~ How long were they in with the stud?? And what KIND of stud--donkey--horse?? Mini? Mammoth jack?? Plain old donkey?

:welcome: BTW

Not sure how long they were with the stud.....pretty good while i suppose. They're standard size donkey.

shoot.....The vet was out here yesterday and i forgot to ask him about this...... :frowns:

I always thought about getting a couple of jack a$$es. They would be named" Bessie" And "Fannie" :pretty: :pretty:
Are they still called jack a$$es if they are female? :lol:

bretsam":347u90g8 said:
I always thought about getting a couple of jack a$$es. They would be named" Bessie" And "Fannie" :pretty: :pretty:

why do you need more????

you already have all of us.....

pdfangus":1u0gh1bc said:
bretsam":1u0gh1bc said:

why do you need more????

you already have all of us.....
He!! all you need is me and 3 way cross! Sorry :cboy:

BC

Latest posts