Pregnant Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a cow that is due to calve January 30th. I am going to bring her home before she calves. How long before she calves should I bring her home? Thanks, Phil

Is it typical for a pregnant cow to get real fiesty just before calving? I had one that I knew was getting close and had to move her just a short distance but she had to be trailered. She went bonkers. Haven't been that scared working cattle in a long time. Moved her and she dropped the calf the next day. Till that day she always seemed quite calm.

Jogeephus":30mr7ioa said:
Is it typical for a pregnant cow to get real fiesty just before calving? I had one that I knew was getting close and had to move her just a short distance but she had to be trailered. She went bonkers. Haven't been that scared working cattle in a long time. Moved her and she dropped the calf the next day. Till that day she always seemed quite calm.
What is typical is that they will in most cases do what isn;t expected. Just like they do every other day. We had a cow that was always kind of standoffish. Just before she calved she would get the galloping licks. Wasn't hardly safe to get in the pasture with her cause she would hunt you down and start licking.

I was wondering if it was sortof that motherly instinct thing. Sortof like women. I mean no offence to women by this but when they go into that nesting mode they can be sortof ..... shall I say, hard to reason with. :hide: Just wondering if others had seen the same.

Jogeephus":2s7kyv2y said:
I was wondering if it was sortof that motherly instinct thing. Sortof like women. I mean no offence to women by this but when they go into that nesting mode they can be sortof ..... shall I say, hard to reason with. :hide: Just wondering if others had seen the same.
I don;t think I want to touch this with a 10 foot pole

Now I wasn't poking fun just stating a fact. Unless my wife is unique. Heck, she ever so much knew it was going to be a boy that she set me out to paint the nursery boy colors. Everything, crib, trim, rocking chair you name it - it got a coat of paint on it. And new carpet. Then she finally caved on the ultrasound and by God Patton had come to town and this boy didn't sleep till there was and even fresher coat of paint on everything.

I just realized something. Here I am talking about my wife in a thread whose subject title is Pregnant Cow. Dun, once again you have outdone yourself with your wisdom as I hear the ice cracking as I type and if she reads this she'll be tossing bricks at me as I sink into the chilly abyss. :lol2:

Jogeephus":2l8kvxs9 said:
I had a cow just the opposite. She was flighty when being worked but not agressive. A couple years ago I saw her in the process of calving but no calf appearing. I walked her away from the herd, through a couple other pastures & several gates to get her in the calving pen. Got her caught on my own, gloved up and the first thing I found was a tail. I called the vet, he got the tail first calf out(dead), went back in and got a live twin. I turned that cow loose and she went bonkers! She went over a gate and through several electric fence wires. I fed the calf and called it a night. The next day I brought her back to her calf and she was flighty, took her calf and ran.
The next year, similar problem. Again, I penned her, found the calf upside down and pretty far in. Vet got the calf out alive. This time I had everyone get clear away before I turned her loose, and then I got out of eyesight. She calmed down and all was well.

It's almost like this cow knew she needed help and accepted it, and after we helped her she didn't want anything to do with us.

Sorry guys, Im not taking the bait on this spread.
All Ill say is why move them if they are cows, not heifers, and you're comfortable with your bull

My Grandpa was a man of few words. He gave me two pieces of advice. 1) Take care of your teeth. 2) Women are unpredictable.
I have found that #2 gets worse in times of stress and also applies to bovines. The sooner before calving you move the cow the better.

Chris H":j5xsnto7 said:
Jogeephus":j5xsnto7 said:
I had a cow just the opposite. She was flighty when being worked but not agressive. A couple years ago I saw her in the process of calving but no calf appearing. I walked her away from the herd, through a couple other pastures & several gates to get her in the calving pen. Got her caught on my own, gloved up and the first thing I found was a tail. I called the vet, he got the tail first calf out(dead), went back in and got a live twin. I turned that cow loose and she went bonkers! She went over a gate and through several electric fence wires. I fed the calf and called it a night. The next day I brought her back to her calf and she was flighty, took her calf and ran.
The next year, similar problem. Again, I penned her, found the calf upside down and pretty far in. Vet got the calf out alive. This time I had everyone get clear away before I turned her loose, and then I got out of eyesight. She calmed down and all was well.

It's almost like this cow knew she needed help and accepted it, and after we helped her she didn't want anything to do with us.
A couple of years ago we had a similar deal. Bought a heifer that had been bred to an ultra calving ease bull that was ajunior unproven sire. By the time she tried to calve he was an ultra hard calving ease bull Pulled a 116 pound calf and the cow went nuts hauling tail for the far country. Waited an hour and she hadn;t come back so I thawed closturum and fed the calf an put it in a side alley. Next morning I went out to feed the calf and she wasn;t there and the side alley was totally destroyed. There stood mama feeding her calf.

Jogeephus":2kd76adh said:

You mean kinda like how men get when they have the TV remote control in their hands . :cowboy:

hillsdown":8zdwpdp5 said:
Jogeephus":8zdwpdp5 said:

You mean kinda like how men get when they have the TV remote control in their hands . :cowboy:

Exactly, only with similar differences. ;-)

She is a special cow to me. She is the first cow I have owned. I took her and two of my black angus and had embryo transplants done on them, she is the only one that took. I am just trying to make sure that I do not create a problem by moving her too late. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Latest posts