Preferred weed spray?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree, but when they get ahead of you, Crossbow has something else in it or stronger...it can kill a plant that is woody, like multiflora rose. Regular 24D will set it back, but the plant will still mature a few buds.
IDK. Hubby was manager of fertilizer and crop chemicals. He was the go to guru on weed control for the farmers and other sales company. I just stick to what he taught me. Obviously, a lot has changed in 8 years!

I agree, but when they get ahead of you, Crossbow has something else in it or stronger...it can kill a plant that is woody, like multiflora rose. Regular 24D will set it back, but the plant will still mature a few buds.
IDK. Hubby was manager of fertilizer and crop chemicals. He was the go to guru on weed control for the farmers and other sales company. I just stick to what he taught me. Obviously, a lot has changed in 8 years!
Crossbow uses 24d ester . Yes a little more kick.

I'm with Simme. I use the Dicamba 2-4-D product Brash. Cheap and works well. I use a 1% mix with a good surfactant. I put out about 15 gallons of mix per acre. It has some residual. It does a pretty good job on milkweed which is one of my big problems.
Don't use it if there is cotton growing close by.
BD, will this mix work for goatweed? Thanks

midTN, I am not sure what Goatweed you are referring to. Different pants in different parts of the U.S. have same name. In Texas, lots of folks call Croton, goatweed or Dove weed. When you google goatweed, it comes back as Barrenwort or Epimedium.
If you are referrring to Croton than yes it will and it does very well. Best to apply in the Spring.

midTN, I am not sure what Goatweed you are referring to. Different pants in different parts of the U.S. have same name. In Texas, lots of folks call Croton, goatweed or Dove weed. When you google goatweed, it comes back as Barrenwort or Epimedium.
If you are referrring to Croton than yes it will and it does very well. Best to apply in the Spring.
Thanks Bird Dog, yes i was referring to Croton. Do you have any idea how much residual it has at that application rate? Thanks

Yes Splash it is. Its easy to get one, just spend a day to go thru the program and they will test you when its over. Its mostly common sense stuff but there are a few things you need to know if you don't already.

midTN- The residual works but only for the season you put it down. It doesn't do any good to over apply the application rate. Croton takes a few years of spraying to get it under control and like Mesquite trees, you never get completely finished. There are tons of seed in the seed bank plus birds and other animals continually spread it. I had a nice bermuda place that was infested with it. It took three years to get some control and then spraying every other year for maintenance. It really is a problem to control in sandy or loam soils. Not so much in the clays. Some folks use a pre-emergent but that only seems to work for the early part of the year. Croton will continue to emerge and grow all summer. Spray a few weeks after it emerges in the spring before it starts to seed out. For us that is April. Once it seeds, you can kill the plant but the seeds will replant themselves and you gain nothing.

The 3 leaf stage is what I was taught in TAMU seminar for wooly croton spraying.

There are 2 ratios to consider when spraying. The mix ratio (herbicide to water) and the application ratio. (Mixed solution/acre)
I've seen people go over on the mix ratio of herbicide and that is a waste imo. If one is going to over on one or the other, go over on the application/ac ratio as it is more important to get the best coverage possible without it dripping off the leaves.
(I've frequently been guilty of overlapping on passes and you could always tell where I had done so)

Yes Splash it is. Its easy to get one, just spend a day to go thru the program and they will test you when its over. Its mostly common sense stuff but there are a few things you need to know if you don't already.

midTN- The residual works but only for the season you put it down. It doesn't do any good to over apply the application rate. Croton takes a few years of spraying to get it under control and like Mesquite trees, you never get completely finished. There are tons of seed in the seed bank plus birds and other animals continually spread it. I had a nice bermuda place that was infested with it. It took three years to get some control and then spraying every other year for maintenance. It really is a problem to control in sandy or loam soils. Not so much in the clays. Some folks use a pre-emergent but that only seems to work for the early part of the year. Croton will continue to emerge and grow all summer. Spray a few weeks after it emerges in the spring before it starts to seed out. For us that is April. Once it seeds, you can kill the plant but the seeds will replant themselves and you gain nothing.
Thanks for that Bird Dog. I'm going to look into it.