Pour-on wormer question

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
I have seen in several posts, one about a steer down, another about a newly purchased cow with scours, the question about the use of a pour on wormer. Or not to use a pour on wormer. I would like to know why. If it is a danger to sick cattle or something we need to be cautious about in general, I would like some info on it. We use a pour on once a year and ivomec plus inj. In the late fall.
Thanks!

I've used pour-on's off and on since they came out and never had any kind of negative reaction to any of them.

I'm referring to the post about a steer that is down, question is asked if they recently used a pour on. Could the pour on have caused this steer to go down?? This was the 2nd time this was asked about a downed animal.

Next post I'm referring to, is about a recently purchased cow with scours. Guy said always worm a new cow but "never ever " use a pour on.

If there is a danger or a suspicion of danger.....I want to know what it is.
Thanks!

Research done at UofAR indicates that the pour-ons, as a class, are pretty poor. Absorption is not all that great - most 'absorption' actually comes from the cows licking one another. About 30% of the active ingredient actually gets to the target.
I won't use them. If I'm gonna spend $$ deworming, I want it to be effective.

Take some time and watch Dr. Yazwinski's video: http://vimeo.com/11107393

I'm not a goat person, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I always keep one here for my girls to tie. A lot of goat people give pour on wormers for cattle orally to goats. They say a little goes a long way.

Bigfoot":2f7zu5j9 said:
I'm not a goat person, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I always keep one here for my girls to tie. A lot of goat people give pour on wormers for cattle orally to goats. They say a little goes a long way.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
you just want it be clear that you aint no goat roper

I had a an old man one time one when i was a kid ask me if the rope i was holding was my goat rope.
i was young and hot tempered but he was too old to take an ass whipping
so i asked him where his sheep were ?
he said he didn't own no damn sheep !
i told bs i could smell the sheep on him
turns out he was too old to tke an ass whipping but that didn't stop him from trying to give one

ALL grub killers (pour-on dewormers) "can" be dangerous if given to the cattle during a crucial time of the migration of the grub in the cattles system. In New York, the cutoff date is about 11-5. We are NOT supposed to use a grub killing product after that date.
If the grubs are in certain areas and die, they can be harmful to the animal - even causing death.
"Proper timing is critical for the safe, effective use of
systemic insecticides. Treatment must be made after
adult heel fly activity ceases, but before the migrating
grub larvae reach the esophagus or spinal cord. This
means that systemics should be used in September,
and never after November 1. Treatments made after
November 1 may cause severe allergic reactions in the
animals, resulting in bloat, paralysis, and death."
http://entomology.cornell.edu/cals/ento ... om2000.pdf

I understand. Thanks for explaining, Jeanne! And after watching the video posted above, also, I understand all this a little better. It's really all kind of complicated, more so after watching the video about the different worms life cycles, and treating them at the right time. Excellent video.
Colleen

As far as timing of your dewormers - check your local extension. This video was for Ark.
Deworming prior to calving for me wouldn't work (calving mostly in Feb). We deworm around Nov 1 so that the cattle are sorta "worm-free" for the winter - then again about 8 weeks after grass (around July 1st here). It takes about 8 weeks from the time cows pick up worms from grazing to when they are depositing worms back onto the grass.
Cows should not be re-infested during the winter months (our winters), so they should be clean until grazing time.

What about the fly rubs that use a pour on or spray on insecticide? Should they be discontinued at a certain date as well--or do the rubs not apply enough insecticide to make a difference?

(around here, the weather has been so mild flies are still all around)

Lucky_P":uft40ug7 said:
Research done at UofAR indicates that the pour-ons, as a class, are pretty poor. Absorption is not all that great - most 'absorption' actually comes from the cows licking one another. About 30% of the active ingredient actually gets to the target.
I won't use them. If I'm gonna spend $$ deworming, I want it to be effective.

Take some time and watch Dr. Yazwinski's video: http://vimeo.com/11107393

very informative video

greybeard":z9bw1r7v said:
What about the fly rubs that use a pour on or spray on insecticide? Should they be discontinued at a certain date as well--or do the rubs not apply enough insecticide to make a difference?

(around here, the weather has been so mild flies are still all around)
You need only worry if the insecticides are grubacides.

What dun said - "You need only worry if the insecticides are grubicides."

That said, while I know they're still out there, I haven't seen a cow with grubs (warble fly larvae) since sometime back in the early 1980s.

Lucky_P":2wxcyy5u said:
What dun said - "You need only worry if the insecticides are grubicides."

That said, while I know they're still out there, I haven't seen a cow with grubs (warble fly larvae) since sometime back in the early 1980s.
oke bottle trick for popping them they pretty well insure the use a grubacide in the fall.I still see them occasioanlly in some herds around here. After I show them the coke bottle trick they usually get pretty diligent about using a grubacide in the fall. I haven;t seen a heel fly (or the cows reaction to them) on this farm at anytime. But I still sue a grubacide in the fall, kind of a cheap insurance policy

Dectomax and Ivomec pour ons are good wormers and great for lice. Cydectin pour on is just good for worming.Normectin pour on is mainly just good for lice not many worms.