Potential new herdsire

Help Support CattleToday:

Boldcat

Reaction score
This is a 2 1/2 year old simmy bull out of Bodybuilder.I used him on 2 hiefers last year when my cleanup bull went lame. I was amazed at the calving ease since both heifers were on the small side.
I rented him again this summer and had him breed about 30 cows after his owner was finished with him.
He has given me the option to buy him next year , but I want to see what his bull calves look like first.
What are your thoughts on him ? I'd like a new herdsire so I could AI less. I just want to use AI right now to make replacement heifers.
P1010426.jpg

P1010427.jpg

P1010430.jpg

I would really like to see a rear view of this animal, but here are my thoughts judging only from the pictures I see. He has decent muscle expression throughout his front shoulders and neck, but seems to severly lack muscling in the flank and hind quarters. Appears as if the front half and the back half are from 2 different animals. He has a weak topline, notice the dip just behind the front shoulders. Appears to have good scrotal circumfurance. He might work OK for a commercial operation, but I don't think he would be a "herd improver".

I don't think he is a good bull. Remember when it comes to buying bulls, I use this saying. A good bull will cost you, a lesser bull will cost you more.

thats a heck of a bull.he is a herd bull thats for sure.id buy that bull next year if i was you.

I'm aware of the dip in the back and I couldn't get a rear view but he does has some good fleshy hip on him .
I am a commercial breeder and like I said I use AI to make replacements
His temperment is very good .

I have a picture of bodybuilder from when I was at Gateway back in 98 or 99. I wish I had a scanner I would post it.He really looked alot like your bull to me,but your bull might look better.I have seen some cows out of bodybuilder that seemed pretty good though.

Not a studsire, but doable as a terminal sire. Biggest fault is how his shoulders are laid in, don't think it will really cause problems it just makes his topline look worse than it is in current condition.

I'll bet that bull will surprise a lot of folks in another year or so.

But his back feet bother me.

I agree with knersie, he's a nice bull that's got some good things about him, but he doesn't exactly balance them all up perfectly into one stylish package. I still think you'll get some good calves out of him and if they are on the easy calving side thats another plus. If you see his calf crop and it's better than your others why not go for him? Especially if you're AI'ing, he's a fine cleanup bull if the calves are decent.

I don't see a lack of muscle, but I would like to straighten the topline and lower the flank. To be totally honest, if he didn't have that blaze face, I'd think he was a limi.

Like I said when I take him back I'm going to have a good look at his yearling bull calves and heifers before I make a decision.
"red dont sale" doesn't make much sense to me. I've had 2 buyers evaluate my program in the last year and they told me not to change anything.
Using a black bull on fullblood simmis is just asking for smokes.
I do Ai some of my cherry red cows to a hetro blacK bulls with good success.
Cfpinz, what is it about the back feet you don't like?
Red Bull Breeder , I have been using him on fullblood simmis as well as red baldies and simangus cows and heifers.

Boldcat":3dc32kqh said:
Like I said when I take him back I'm going to have a good look at his yearling bull calves and heifers before I make a decision.
"red dont sale" doesn't make much sense to me. I've had 2 buyers evaluate my program in the last year and they told me not to change anything.
Using a black bull on fullblood simmis is just asking for smokes.
I do Ai some of my cherry red cows to a hetro blacK bulls with good success.
Red Bull Breeder , I have been using him on fullblood simmis as well as red baldies and simangus cows and heifers.

Regarding the "red don't sell," it may be they don't realize you aren't from Tennessee.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2e2q13vj said:
bandit80":2e2q13vj said:
I would really like to see a rear view of this animal, but here are my thoughts judging only from the pictures I see. He has decent muscle expression throughout his front shoulders and neck, but seems to severly lack muscling in the flank and hind quarters. Appears as if the front half and the back half are from 2 different animals. He has a weak topline, notice the dip just behind the front shoulders. Appears to have good scrotal circumfurance. He might work OK for a commercial operation, but I don't think he would be a "herd improver".

I don't think he is a good bull. Remember when it comes to buying bulls, I use this saying. A good bull will cost you, a lesser bull will cost you more.

Spot on. I could not have said it better myself. Another thing is he is red. Red dont sale

Depends. I know of a rancher whose straight Hereford calves outsold his black baldies in El Reno, Ok just a couple of years ago or so. Same age and weights, all terrific quality. The auctioneer commented that they were the kind of calves that had paid for a lot of the area ranches in years gone by.

Boldcat":20kgtdxc said:

He sets up on them fairly well but look at the angle which the toes are going towards each other.

i agree with cfpinz, those were the first things i noticed. look at the back left foot in the second pic.

Bold cat its nice to see Simmis that still look like Simmis. They all been turned black down here, don't even look like the same breed. As far as his back feet, as long as he tracks and moves good in the pasture i wouldn't worry about them.

Thank you for all the comments , I really do appreciate them.
I won't be back on today, Im taking my daughter deer hunting tonight. :D

don't like him, but i do like simmentals. ive seen pictures that make a good bulls topline look weak but his is.. and for replacements to have a long productive life? he already looks like a senior bull to me

I guess I should have been more clear from the beginning that what I'm looking for is a terminal herdsire.
Thanks again.

Latest posts