potash and crimson clover

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I just had 150 lbs potash and 25 lbs of crimson clover broadcast on the Tifton 85. I will drag a section harrow
over it on Monday any thoughts on this.

hurleyjd":3d8393zm said:
I just had 150 lbs potash and 25 lbs of crimson clover broadcast on the Tifton 85. I will drag a section harrow
This should work great but I wouldn't forget phosphate and lime and I would put down about 20lbs of nitrogen to the acre at seeding to help the clover get established but I usually want rye mixed in to help with bloat.
Available potash should help with nitrogen uptake in your T85 and I'm assuming the clover seed was inoculated. It may not work for you, but I have been planting clover in my pastures the last couple years the same way and seem to get better stands waiting to Jan.-Feb. to plant, especially if its been dry.

B&M Farms":608p855z said:
hurleyjd":608p855z said:
This should work great but I wouldn't forget phosphate and lime and I would put down about 20lbs of nitrogen to the acre at seeding to help the clover get established but I usually want rye mixed in to help with bloat.
Available potash should help with nitrogen uptake in your T85 and I'm assuming the clover seed was inoculated. It may not work for you, but I have been planting clover in my pastures the last couple years the same way and seem to get better stands waiting to Jan.-Feb. to plant, especially if its been dry.

Phosphate and PH are okay. All hay meadows and pasture are managed so the rye grass reseeds. I found this video from Ovrerton interesting. 3400 lbs beef per acre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPD775- ... FXJk63JOFw

I do about the same. Scratch it in with a chain harrow and let it go. Grazed right it will be the last time you'll ever have to do it.

novatech":1kcly3pr said:
You may take note in that when the tif 85 was coming on the rye was grazed short. Tifton 85 or any other warm season grasses may suffer greatly if the rye is allowed to shade it .
Here is a good article on the subject.
http://animal.ifas.ufl.edu/beef_extensi ... newman.pdf

Annual ryegrass is also a water and phos/potash vacum once the ryegrass begins to near the seed stage.
In years past, I have sometimes allowed the annual ryegrass to go to seed, and my bermuda and bahia suffered because of it. Graze the ryegrass down, bale it or mow it before the regular spring gases start to grow.

Latest posts