possible PI cow

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
had the vet out a few weeks ago to treat a heifer for retained placenta. I had just started calving and had lost the first 2 calves, they came a month early. Vet took blood samples from the two heifers that were open. came back as high titers for both BVD 1 and 2. he is ASSUMING they came in contact with BVD and were fighting off the infection and lost the calves. these heifers were vaccinated with Bovishield Gold FP 10 prior to breeding last march. his only explanation is there may be a PI cow in the herd. these heifers are home raised and have not had contact with the older cows since they were weaned. But the older cows were in the lot that these heifers are in 2 months prior. is BVD viable in the dirt for long periods? It cost $84 each to have these two heifers tested, so testing 250 head is not a good option. Also the Mrs registered heifer calf is in the lot where the older cows will be coming to soon. Would it be best to move this almost yearling calf out, or to let her have contact with the older cows to build an immunity before breeding her? The calf has been double vaccinated. are there any signs or symptoms of a PI cow?

The high titers could possibly be from a vaccination. How high were they? A Serology test only tests for the antibody.

I would test each calf when he hit the ground with a PCR test. I believe Kansas State Univ. will do it for $5 each.

Any poor-doers should be suspect. If there are PI's in your herd, most likely you will have some calves that are PI also.

This may be a dumb question/answer, but, if you cull anything that has a bottom end calf, would you not cull this PI cow for a lack of top end production? I think BVD causes abortions, and stunted or poor calves, so I would think the cow would eventually cull herself from the herd as wither an open or a poor mom. Joe, I think you are close enough to SDSU in Brookings, SD, call and see what they charge, maybe it will be less $$$$$ with a whole herd test?

Brookman":2zricvqc said:
Please explain what PI is? I'm guessing a "carrier" without symptoms?

A "PI" or "Persistantly Infected" animal, is one who acquired BVD (or other) disease while in utero and is infected for life.

In other words, the cow was exposed to the virus while carrying the calf. If the cow was vaccinated properly, she would not be affected by it but the calf can be because he has no immunities during periods within the womb. If so, the calf would accept the virus as part of himself and sheds the virus throughout his/her lifetime, thus creating other PI animals.

Sometimes they show symptoms and sometimes they don't. The best thing that can happen is the cow aborts the fetus and takes a ride to town. ;-)

Latest posts