PORK...the other dangerous meat.

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
China's efforts to contain pig disease pays off

By Channel NewsAsia's China Correspondent Tan Bee Leng

10 August 2005

SHANGHAI : In China, the government's efforts to control the outbreak of the swine-borne disease appear to be paying off.

The death toll has remained unchanged at 39, with more than 200 infected.

Since the outbreak was reported in southwestern Sichuan province, authorities in other areas have been stepping up their own vigilance, taking measures to ensure that pork in their areas is safe for consumption.

Concern that the swine flu is spreading to other Chinese provinces grew after media reports showed that some farmers in Sichuan Province did not follow proper guidelines in handling sick or dead pigs.

In Shanghai, officials quickly assured the public that its pigs and pork products are safe from the streptococcus swine type II bacteria.

Authorities say all live pigs sold in the city are raised locally or imported from Henan or Shandong provinces.

A small amount of frozen pork was shipped in from Sichuan, but imports stopped after the disease outbreak there.

Still, that affected business at Cao-An Meat Market, one of the biggest wholesale markets in Shanghai.

"The hot weather worsened the situation. We lost about a third of our business," said pork seller Dai Chun'E

Authorities stepped up training for workers at slaughter houses and markets to increase their awareness of infectious diseases and allay public fears.

"We're now familiar with the safety checks and procedures. If there are problems (with the pigs), they won't be allowed into the market. People who come here to buy meat trust us because we are certified and passed safety checks," said Leng Wu Yan, also a pork seller.

"We eat pork everyday. We eat what we sell and we feel fine," said Dai.

And the authorities' vigilance paid off. Consumer confidence has since increased significantly.

With 65% of its pork supplied by provinces outside Shanghai, authorities say the city has always been conducting very tight controls at its entry points.

A quality license must be produced each time live pigs from other provinces are brought into Shanghai.

Food authorities will conduct further checks after the pigs are allowed into the city.

Last year, some 300,000 tons of pigs were blocked at the highways into the city because the suppliers were unable to produce the quality licenses.

- CNA /ls

MCN International Pte Ltd

channelnewsasia.com

Do you remember back in the 70's, Rosaline Carter got swine flu? She and Jimmy almost divorced because she rooted up about 40 acres of his peanut crop.

Yeah, laugh you guys :) My Uncle Sam mandated I take the swine flu shot back in the early 70's also. I read all the precautions and none pertained to me. It about killed me. I remember the doctor telling my commander, "well he will be ok if he makes it through the night". Not what I wanted to hear. Maybe that's my problem huh? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts