Poor cow

Help Support CattleToday:

To get a cow to take a magnet you have to shove it down their throat. Using a cattle pill gun aka a bolus gun with the magnet and tip lubed up with vaseline works well.

We had one like that years ago that had lost weight and had gone down. We had tried everything we knew to try when our vet told us to put a magnet down her. He had the magnets but since I have found them at valley vet and Jeffers vet supply. She was up and going the day after putting the magnet down, it was amazing how fast she turned around. It is a really cheap fix and would sure be worth the cost of the magnet to save your cow. Hope your able to save her.

Gizmom

NonTypicalCPA":2vz2vf9a said:
How do you get the magnets in them? Will they eat it with some grain?

a 'balling' gun, bolus-gun, similar to a pill-pushing device for cats (except sized for a cow). Put a bit of lube on the magnet and shove it down. You can use K-Y jelly or Vaseline as the lubricant. Its a fairly simple procedure. I have found it to be easier than administering a paste wormer.

*edited for spelling errors*

Most any cattle supply, feed co-op that has a store and TSC will have a magnet. Balling gun, stuff the magnet in it with a little feed or something to wedge it in, a little vaseline or anything to make it slippery, and down the throat. If it is hardware, of the metal kind, and it hasn't done too much damage to the rumen, or whatever "stomach" compartment it is in, you should see a definite improvement in desire and ability to eat.
There was someone on here a little while back that had a poor doing cow and finally she "coughed up" a part of a plastic trash bag and other " trash" that she must've found in the field. Don't know if she ever survived or gained weight, but it could be something other than "metal" affecting her too.

Had to order magnet.
She wouldn't eat grain at all after I gave her the shots and tried to get her to eat safegard mixed with feed. Wouldn't even touch just the feed. Still eating hay.
Think I made her mad. Soaked her with cydectin Thursday and she was ready to eat grain again.

Aaron, thanks for recommendation

"These are the ones you want. The best as they will not degrade over time in the rumen. This is also the best price anywhere on them. I know because every single bull, cow and heifer in the herd has one in them. Incredibly cheap insurance.

http://livestockconcepts.com/en/equipme ... mooth.html

Unfortunately they are currently unavailable through Amazon."

I use to have several of them I picked up when working at slaughter house, don't know what I did with them.

Saturday I managed to get her back in corral, gave her 24cc la300, 12 cc banamine, 24cc nuflor and a magnet.
Put her in pasture by herself. Fescue and clover starting to grow, all she wants to eat is hay.
Been putting out 1\3 mix feed and she hardly eats any. Today bought bag of sweet feed she still not interested.
I put New feed out and she smelled of it and went back to hay.
Her manure looks like horse manure btw.

The reason it took me so long to do anything is i can't do anything with her most of the time. She is not a pet, but she is not afraid either. Not going to beat on her.
She just goes in a circle when I try to get her in corral. Won't follow feed bucket either.
I just lucked out Saturday.

She actually let me put my hand in her mouth several days ago, and I didn't feel anything abnormal. Got me puzzled

I haven't re-read the whole thread but - dumb question - have you had a vet out?

BTW - before you own cattle you should have a way to work them. I did it the other way around - got cattle before I had a way to work them. It's not good for man/woman nor beast.

I have a corral with a working chute and a Priefert head catch. I've owned cattle for most of my 60 years.
Long time ago figured out had to have facilities to handle cattle especially since I'm a one man operation.

Getting a vet out is next to impossible around here. New young vet moved in and contacted a friend of mine who has a larger operation, he gets $500.00 to show up.
I use two vets, both are a little older than me, one no longer does farm visits, the other will but since I can't insure that I can even pen this cow up, I have not called her.
I have to have an appointment to take to the one who no longer makes calls, but there again I need to be able to show up..

She does not appear sick, just doesn't want to eat feed. And she evidently isn't getting enough protein from hay based on the appearance of her manure.
If she gets to the point of appearing to suffer I will put her down.
Not feasible to have a large vet bill on a maybe $200.00 cow.
I am hoping that the clover that is starting to come up will appeal to her.

And maybe someone on here knows of an absolutely irresistible type of cow feed...

danl":1yveyvgw said:
Saturday I managed to get her back in corral,

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, not trying to be a smart alec. While you had her up in the corral, on Saturday, why didn't you leave her there for a few days, long enough to get the vet out, the one who is willing to come out? Since the cow has no been seen by a vet, and there is still no definitive diagnosis as to what is wrong, why administer 2 different types of antibiotic? :? Again, I'm not trying to be an a$$, but these are legitimate questions.

angus9259":3lf63pa2 said:
I haven't re-read the whole thread but - dumb question - have you had a vet out?

BTW - before you own cattle you should have a way to work them. I did it the other way around - got cattle before I had a way to work them. It's not good for man/woman nor beast.
you don't have to have a shoot to work cattle. I have worked a bunch in my younger days with a snubbin post and a rope and a lot of them were Brahman /Brahman cross. don't like it but it can be done.

Workinonit Farm":24mvlr2g said:
danl":24mvlr2g said:
Saturday I managed to get her back in corral,

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, not trying to be a smart alec. While you had her up in the corral, on Saturday, why didn't you leave her there for a few days, long enough to get the vet out, the one who is willing to come out? Since the cow has no been seen by a vet, and there is still no definitive diagnosis as to what is wrong, why administer 2 different types of antibiotic? :? Again, I'm not trying to be an a$$, but these are legitimate questions.[/quote

She quits eating completely if I leave her in corral, I seriously think she may have mental issues.

I was advised by my vet to co-administer LA300 and Nuflor, for a cow with an infection previously, and felt I didn't have a lot to lose.

She is eating hay rather well, a complete mystery to me, how she can pass up sweet feed that looks and smells good enough to me that I think I could put some milk on it and eat for breakfast...

danl":o6fozuh8 said:
She quits eating completely if I leave her in corral, I seriously think she may have mental issues.

I was advised by my vet to co-administer LA300 and Nuflor, for a cow with an infection previously, and felt I didn't have a lot to lose.

She is eating hay rather well, a complete mystery to me, how she can pass up sweet feed that looks and smells good enough to me that I think I could put some milk on it and eat for breakfast...

Very puzzling indeed.

I need to find some extra high quality hay... Probably can't, since last falls drought wiped hay supplies and you can't even find bad hay. Fortunately I put up enought to make it, barely.

It would seem like if grain hurt her teeth, throat or mouth then hay would also. Right???

Latest posts