pond? tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
What do you call that depression in the earth that your cattle/such drink out of?? :???:
Just wondering ;-)

peg4x4":13q4u3oa said:
What do you call that depression in the earth that your cattle/such drink out of?? :???:
Just wondering ;-)
The depression that ours drink out of is callaed a puddle. They are watered from actual water tanks with piped water

Ditch or river. Not many ponds around here. they only last if they have fresh water running thru them all the time. Our ground is real rocky and doesn't hold water much unless you line a pond with Bentonite.

Jim62":15sy27qq said:
Tanks around here.

It's amazing how few people know what a "branch" is..............

I always thought it was a "Spring" .........yes?.....no?

Creek or crick depending on what part of my county you are in. I consider myself bilingual and can converse with most folks in the south except for the Spanish, and am learning that out of necessity.

Brute 23":mjnfxfm8 said:
We fish, swim, and the cattle drink out of tanks. :D Some people say stock tanks. Words like ponds and meadows usaully raise eyebrows around here.

We fish and swim in rivers, lakes, creeks, and ponds around here. If a guy said he was fishing in a tank, I would get a mental picture of him setting in a recliner trying to catch his wife's gold fish.

Around here it is definetly a pond. I have 3 on my place. The biggest is 4 acres and the other two are about 1/2 acre each. I also have a spring (comes up out of the ground) and a branch that flows across the backside of the place. We also say branch here for smaller creeks that feed larger creeks. On my place I also have "seeps". This is what we call pooling water in swampy areas where the water table is high. In the winter you will sometimes hit the water table digging 3 foot deep post holes. I have one pasture without a pond of spring where I pump water into troughs from the county water line. What is wierd is that my cows would rather dring muddy pond water than clean tap water.

Should tell you something about how clean public water really is. We have a county water line just across the road but I am keeping my well.
It is a pond here also. Never heard of a tank (except an army tank) until I worked in Texas a few times.

When I was a kid, they were referred to as stock tanks. Now they are referred to as that dry hole in the ground with a little mud along the edges.

3waycross":wu1zgrpp said:
Jim62":wu1zgrpp said:
Tanks around here.

It's amazing how few people know what a "branch" is..............

I always thought it was a "Spring" .........yes?.....no?
If Jim will allow me to jump in here, realizing that regional differences may define things differently, a branch is a low place to which rain water runs. It may have water in "water holes" most of the time or may be bone dry except in periods of high rain fall. By definition it is a tributary to a pond, lake ,creek, river, maybe an ocean(?).;
In high rainfall a branch may look like a creek and many people mistake them for creeks.
The steep sides of fairly deep branches with a lot of mud make excellent places for idiot bovines to get in and bog down and not be able to get back out. :help:

Often they just go nowhere. They just end. I mean branches, (although you can say the same things about bovines). Maybe they end up as branch water in bourbon :drink: :)

Branches are not spring fed to any appreciable extent. If they were they would be creeks instead of branches.

A creek is like a little river.Normally is a stream of flowing water.

Down this- a- way, a crick is a stiff, sore neck. ( I know a massage therapist that can fix that right up. Let me know if you need her name.)

Ryder, you nailed a "branch" perfectly. Back in the day, most were just eroded ditches out in the pastures. Now that we're "enlightened", most have been shaped and planted in grass to stop the erosion. Not sure if these would still qualify as branches............ :tiphat:

Latest posts