How to control Water meal/duckweed in a pond?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a pond that I have neglected for a few years due to it being overtaken with water meal. What is the best treament to eradicate it. Cows do not have access to the pond at present and there are no fish in it (the pond meal starved them our a few years ago). What is the easiest and cheapest way to just kill it and be done so I can start fresh and get it stocked again?

sstterry said:
I have a pond that I have neglected for a few years due to it being overtaken with water meal. What is the best treament to eradicate it. Cows do not have access to the pond at present and there are no fish in it (the pond meal starved them our a few years ago). What is the easiest and cheapest way to just kill it and be done so I can start fresh and get it stocked again?

Diquat(sp)

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:

Diquat(sp)
Make sure you get it in the Diquat Aquatic.
Roundup also makes an aquatic. I think it's called Rodeo.

Had the same problem when we bought our place. Used a spray product from a place called The Pond Guy. It is VERY effective. I forget the name of it but if you call them they are very helpful. If it doesn't have a lot of flow to it they make a granular version you dump out in a few places and it works even better. Will take a few treatments of the spray product but it will sure wipe it out. Not cheap but it is efficient.

It also helped that our pond flooded about the time I started treating it. I made a dozer blade out of a piece of plywood and mounted it on a kayak. Pushed the stuff off out the overflow so it got rid of a lot of the biomass. Just pushed till the current picked it up then go back and push another swipe. If there are any fitness buffs out there an 8' piece of plywood across the front of a kayak for 2-3 hrs. is a pretty good workout.

kenny thomas said:
Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:

Diquat(sp)
Make sure you get it in the Diquat Aquatic.
Roundup also makes an aquatic. I think it's called Rodeo.

I use Rodeo around my farm for weed control. Just 41% Glyphosate and a surfactant......It "will kill fish" along with doing a great job on Coon Tail moss...don't know about the mentioned pond weeds so I can't comment on that.

Silver said:
The go to around here has always been bluestone, maybe there are better alternatives.

Is copper sulfate. I've used it as well and it does work well but recommended you treat only about 25% of the pond at one time as water temporarily becomes oxygen deficient.

We have a large pond that we keep birds on. We hired a guy for this issue and he treated it with digging out the pond. Pulled all the weeds, dredged the rest. Cleaned it right up. Added a fountain to get water circulating. Problem was solved.

Latest posts