Frozen Pond Dangers...

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
This has to be one of my biggest fears... Although I live in Tennessee, we do sometimes get weather cold enough to put a hard freeze on our stock ponds (like this past week with temps down to 1 degree). I saw this article on Facebook and thought I would share:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...-b6f3-da453807c00f.html#.VK_4RP7aEak.facebook

When our temps get cold and our ponds start to freeze, I am out there with my tractor and loader breaking the ice at a minimum of twice a day. It gets to be where the cattle know what I am coming to do and will drink very soon after I break the ice up. A little back ground story, about 5 years ago the wife bought a beautiful 2-year old Paint mare. The horse was doing great and showing a lot of promise to be a good cow horse some day. We kept the mare with our other older horses in a 5 acre field that had a small but deep pond in it. This particular winter was brutal, and sure enough that pond froze over pretty hard. At the time, I was working at one of our other farms when I got the phone call... It was my wife and she was hysterical! Her mare had wondered onto the ice and broke through. Let me tell you that is a pretty helpless feeling when I knew that I could not get to her in time to save her. As most of you know, it doesn't take long even for large animals to succumb to hypothermia. The horse thrashed around for a couple of minutes, extremely confused and making the situation even worse. The wife did everything that she could to include trying to rope the horse and tie it off to the Gator. It was all over in a very short time.

By the time I arrived, the mare was motionless in the frozen pond. I had to call a friend who owned a commercial wet suit I could borrow so that I could break my way through the ice and get a chain around the horse so I could pull her out of the pond. This was a very painful lesson that I work very hard to never have happen again.

inyati13":2myf2x0n said:
That is tragic!!! I backfilled the one pond I had on the place. Ponds are a problem unless they are managed well.
Amen to that Ron! Stock ponds for us are a necessary evil for now. We rotational graze on 11 different pastures, all with different geographical "challenges" and no other water sources other than stock ponds. We are currently looking into fencing off the ponds and using them to gravity flow water to automatic water systems (like Ritchie systems). There are a couple of farms around here that have been very successful implementing that system. Like my Daddy used to say... I can do anything I want with enough time and money!! :D

Ponds are a fantastic water source. Lot of capacity and you can bank on the level you see in the pond. They fall short and are criticized when people get lazy and don't fence them off. I would actually prefer to have a large pond on every place and have a gravity watering system, than a drilled-well anyday.

We have 5 ponds and all of them are fenced off. The falling through the ice is one reason, also the water quality from them using them for a latrine is another.

Job 1 for me will be to get the existing ponds stabilized and holding water better, then fencing them off and installing the gravity water system or something similar. I hope to utilize solar power as well when pumps are called for.

Time and money, time an money....

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men....in spite of every precaution, cattle will find a way to kill themselves. All our ponds are fenced with gravity fed waterers but Friday a calf got himself through the fence and out in the middle of a big pond. The ice was thick enough to hold him and my husband finally got him to shore after a real struggle. He finally resorted to pulling him by his ears .

Green Creek":snpih778 said:
You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men....in spite of every precaution, cattle will find a way to kill themselves. All our ponds are fenced with gravity fed waterers but Friday a calf got himself through the fence and out in the middle of a big pond. The ice was thick enough to hold him and my husband finally got him to shore after a real struggle. He finally resorted to pulling him by his ears .

When I built the fence around our new deep pond two years ago, we put 5' high 4x4" page wire around the entire perimeter, with three strands of barbed wire above it and a single hi-tensile wire offset from the page wire, 3' from the ground, so large animals wouldn't throw themselves at the page wire and stretch it. Last barb wire is 7' in the air and posts are 8' high, spaced every 10'. Basically built Fort Knox around the pond, and can sleep soundly every night knowing that no animal can ever get into it. The page wire was the most expensive at about $600 - Red Brand Sheep and Goat Fence.

Latest posts