Polled horn question

Help Support CattleToday:

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
Polled horns in cattle is a dominant trait, isn't it? I have a naturally polled Hereford heifer that just had twin calves that are out of one of our purebred Highlan bulls and I'm curious whether the young bulls will be polled or not. I'm guessing that they will be but would appreciate if anyone can confirm for me.

It depends on whether the heifer is homozygous poll or not if she is they will be heterozygous poll, if not you've got a 50% chance of horns and a 50% chance of them beng heterozygous polls.

Knersie, I truly appreciate the advice but you're speaking Latin to me. I just don't remember my physiology and genetics from college (I wasn't an ag major) to remember homozygous/heterozygous, etc.. We got the Hereford on a trade for one of our young Highland bulls but I know she was bred locally and I know that the farm she came from appears to only have polled cattle. I'm guessing maybe that would suggest homozygous polled?

Thanks again for the response, I'll do my homework and figure it all out.

Just because she from a long line of polled cattle, if a horned animal was in there anywhere there is alwasy a chance that she is heterozygous (1 polled gene 1 horned gene) polled. We have an old heterozygous red cow (22 years old), she's alwasy been bred to a red bull and she has had 2 red calves in her life.

dun":30skrds6 said:
Just because she from a long line of polled cattle, if a horned animal was in there anywhere there is alwasy a chance that she is heterozygous (1 polled gene 1 horned gene) polled. We have an old heterozygous red cow (22 years old), she's alwasy been bred to a red bull and she has had 2 red calves in her life.

you meant to say black?

KNERSIE":3q5z4zcl said:
dun":3q5z4zcl said:

you meant to say black?
Yup, she's black but either hetero red or hetero black, 6 of one half a dozen of the other

Latest posts