Polled Hereford bull pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

oakcreekfarms

Reaction score
Wondering what you guys think of these calves. We just started feeding them a little harder 45 days ago, finally got them moved out to this paddock and they are starting to put on some gains. These pictures aren't necessarily the best bulls I have, but the best pictures I could get.

008-1.jpg

018.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

the last picture was an attempt to get a picture of the bull on the right, and then the other bull decided that a pushing match sounded like more fun. This was the result, you can still see the depth of body on the right bull

I am going to try to get some pictures of the cows and heifers sometime soon. Any info would be good, I already have a pretty good idea what their faults all (every animal has a fault somewhere), but sometimes a new eye will tell you something more. The bulls are probably 1000lbs, and they are 11 month old calves. I left them in a smaller pen to long, and set them back a little.

Matt,

My biggest concern is that I see 3 different types just looking at the first three bulls.

I like the depth and length of muscle of the first bull, phenotypically very good and also the type I prefer. Not sure what I see on his rear left foot, I assume its manure that distorts the picture a bit there? Pity he hasn't got pigment and a overall better eye.

The second bull, looks a much shorter type, also harder and shorter muscled, he probably has a role to play in a commercial herd producing weaners, but I don't see him as a stud bull.

The third bull is a later maturing type, maybe a touch high in the flank, good head, not the type I like.

Of the two bulls at the bottom I really like the type and thickness of the bull on the right, although I believe that is the direction the hereford breed should take, I fear he probably won't appeal to those who chase extreme performance.

What he said.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I like that first bull a lot. :nod:

I also like the last one on the right but I have to force myself to not pick that kind every time or my cattle would look like bowling balls in 3 generations.

Well I had expected more posts on this thread, but didn't get em. There is a little more to the story on these pictures. I did this post more as an example of what picture taking can do, a good one can make a good bull shine, a bad one can make a good bull look awful. And if you put the wrong two bulls together one looks small and the other big, or whatever.

The first and the third picture are of the same bull, taken about 5 days apart. He is a very moderate frame bull, great depth, lacks a little length, but overall a great bull. When bulls look at you in a picture I find it usually makes them look shorter sided, less masculine, and usually hike up in the flank because they are usually turning their body and their weight is on the opposite foot.

The bull in the second picture is a Ribeye calf, he is actually 6-8 inches longer sided then the first pictured bull. He is also a little framier then the other bull as well. He is a hoss of a bull, he has great depth of body, and his muscle actually runs deep into his leg. The shadows cover it, and the bale feeder makes him look smaller then he is. A decent picture, but since you have an off reference point to judge him, he looks smaller and the shadows cover his muscle expression.

The two on the bottom are 3/4 brothers. The bull on the left is probably a mid 6 frame calf, the bull on the right is a high 5. The bull on the right is just that deep bodied of a calf, he is a bigger framed calf then the first pictured calf.

Pictures make all the difference in the world, wish I was better at it. I thought it would be interesting to hear responses.

KNERSIE":1n3ajr3p said:
Matt,

My biggest concern is that I see 3 different types just looking at the first three bulls.

I like the depth and length of muscle of the first bull, phenotypically very good and also the type I prefer. Not sure what I see on his rear left foot, I assume its manure that distorts the picture a bit there? Pity he hasn't got pigment and a overall better eye.

The third bull is a later maturing type, maybe a touch high in the flank, good head, not the type I like

oakcreekfarms":1n3ajr3p said:
The first and the third picture are of the same bull, taken about 5 days apart

Sorry KNERSIE but this is a classic. :D Just goes to show even the pros can get it wrong by only judging by a picture sometimes. :D :D

Thats true, but when a photo has all you have to go by what else can you do, but comment on what you see. Just by looking at his head its hard to believe its the same bull.

I looked at the pics when you posted them and liked all the bulls. Then Knersie posted and made his comments. I have a lot of respect for him and was a bit intimidated that I wasn't seeing the same thing and thought I'd keep my mouth shut. Thus, no comments.

I promise you they are the same bull. He is out of a bull called tobasco which was a SHF Reality out of a CS boomer 29f. The dam is a SHF Marshal daughter out of a cow called K-K Reba M57 that we bought from Jimmie Johnson 4 or 5 years ago. The marshal daughter out of the reba cow is R20, she is a good uddered, deep chested cow. Anything else you need to know, its the same calf.

by the way, thanks for the nice comments on the bulls. And I am always open to constructive criticism. Knersie we are trying harder every year to get more consistency in all the cattle. We are using a good SHF bull and retaining his daughters. We retained 5 heifers last year 4 from the same bull, and one that fit in. So I would say you are also correct that there is different types of bulls in those photos, and I am trying to make them more uniform. It's hard to do on limited resources, just out of college, and trying to find grass because its all rented ground for me. But we will see how things go over the next 5 years.

WichitaLineMan":2fkmm95v said:
>>I DO NOT think they are the same bull.<<

Uh, oh....here we go again!
What do you mean? I was not trying to be nasty. There have been times I thought I had pics of the same animal, but under CLOSE checking, they weren't. Easy mistake. The color pattern doesn't match and the phenotype looks different - photo or different animal?? But, I do know, you can take a pic of an outstanding animal & it can look like a cull. (I threw lots away of our Macho As U bull!!!!)

reference to another thread where many were skeptical that a bull pictured twice was the same bull.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":vk5c7jf6 said:
WichitaLineMan":vk5c7jf6 said:
>>I DO NOT think they are the same bull.<<

Uh, oh....here we go again!
What do you mean? I was not trying to be nasty. There have been times I thought I had pics of the same animal, but under CLOSE checking, they weren't. Easy mistake. The color pattern doesn't match and the phenotype looks different - photo or different animal?? But, I do know, you can take a pic of an outstanding animal & it can look like a cull. (I threw lots away of our Macho As U bull!!!!)

Not saying they are or are not the same bull. BUT, the photos are of opposite sides SO it is VERY possible that the markings on the legs are not as even as they look in the first photo. And the bull doesn't have a lot of white on his neck, so the photo may be decieving.

I don't like the idea of "trick" questions like this. They make folks hesitant to reply. Knersie gives you his honest opinion and then you come back with the "catch". Why would anyone reply to your next set of photos? Most of us have more to do than play games here. jmho.

Actually it is a good illustration of how different camera angles and poses can make the same animal seem like a totally different animal. It also goes back to the principle never post a pic that is not what you want to represent. A good pic is hard to get and a bad pic can do no good for you.

Jeff

S&S Farms":1mt9jwkp said:
Actually it is a good illustration of how different camera angles and poses can make the same animal seem like a totally different animal. It also goes back to the principle never post a pic that is not what you want to represent. A good pic is hard to get and a bad pic can do no good for you.

Jeff

Good advice for all, many (including myself) have posted a pic for thoughts on a calf, cow, bull just to be hit from all sides with comments about some other animal standing in the pic. I don't post many pics now, but have learned to get as close to what I want represented in a pic...... which makes it even harder to get a good pic of an animal.

Alan

On the other hand, a photoshopped or otherwise doctored up photo is also an immediate warning sign for me, even if done in good faith. I only want to see photos as they come out of the camera, for better or worse. jmho. Jim

I'd reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy like to see more pics of the deep-bodied guy on the right in the last pic. Looks mighty soggy.

And go ahead and trick people once in awhile, keeps things fun. ;-)

Well I guess I didn't really think of it as tricking, but attempting to make a point. And none of the photo's are photo shopped, I did make the image smaller so it was easier to download and send as an attachment.

I will try and get a picture of the calf for those that want to see him.

Latest posts