polled calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

jp

Reaction score
if I breed polled cows to a horned bull, what would be the chance on gettin polled calves? thanks for any input, jp

i would guess 50/50...?

i am guessing there is a genetic predictability based on homo and heterozygosity.

what breeds in particular are you considering?

Yea the Polled gene is dominant when its present so it would depend on the breed of the cow and whether or not she is Homozygous polled or heterozygous.

If she is Homozygous polled then all of the calves will be polled.

If she is Heterozygous polled (carrying a recessive horned gene) then 50% of the calves will be horned.

Saltydawg":1uoqijw1 said:
Yea the Polled gene is dominant when its present so it would depend on the breed of the cow and whether or not she is Homozygous polled or heterozygous.

If she is Homozygous polled then all of the calves will be polled.

If she is Heterozygous polled (carrying a recessive horned gene) then 50% of the calves will be horned.
This is absolutely correct, unless a mutation occurs. The chances are quite small for that to happen though.

jp":2vp7aqo9 said:
if I breed polled cows to a horned bull, what would be the chance on gettin polled calves? thanks for any input, jp

What type of cows are we talking about here? Do you know anything about their parents?(polled or horned) These would give you clues as to whether the cows may be homozygous or heterozygous. Example: if your running registered angus cows, chances are that they are homozygous, and therefore almost all calves would be polled. (statistically, there would be a chance for horns, but not likely)

cypressfarms":l1yunj0q said:
Example: if your running registered angus cows, chances are that they are homozygous, and therefore almost all calves would be polled. (statistically, there would be a chance for horns, but not likely)
I have to disagree. If they are "registered angus cows" they will all be homozygous polled, and they would not have any chance of producing horned calves.
The optimum words are IF and REGISTERED. If they are just "called" Angus, it's a crap shoot.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":24kyzhh1 said:
If they are "registered angus cows" they will all be homozygous polled, and they would not have any chance of producing horned calves.
The optimum words are IF and REGISTERED. If they are just "called" Angus, it's a crap shoot.

You sure about that Jeanne? I've heard of purebred angus still throwing horned calves when bred with a horned bull. The cows could be carrying a recessive horned trait, or just a mutation I guess. I know, if their homozygous, they shouldn't have the recessive gene, but statistically there is a possibility.

cypressfarms":2gw1xhk4 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2gw1xhk4 said:
If they are "registered angus cows" they will all be homozygous polled, and they would not have any chance of producing horned calves.

You sure about that Jeanne? I've heard of purebred angus still throwing horned calves when bred with a horned bull. The cows could be carrying a recessive horned trait, or just a mutation I guess. I know, if their homozygous, they shouldn't have the recessive gene, but statistically there is a possibility.

If a registered Angus is throwing horns no matter what it's bred to, it shouldn;t be registered. Angus are homozygous polled. There could be a mutation I suppose, but I sure wouldn;t bet the farm on it.
Some putz claimed that his horned Herefords were so prepotent that they would put horns on calves rom Angus cows. One of the accurate articles in stockman grassfarmer

dun

dun":45jrqn71 said:
Some putz claimed that his horned Herefords were so prepotent that they would put horns on calves rom Angus cows. One of the accurate articles in stockman grassfarmer
dun

Now that is just downright ignorant. I guess I'm glad I don't get that magazine.

Not arguing about registered throwing polled calves, regardless of what they are bred to, but statistically there is a chance-very very slim. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I'm trying to save some face.

cypressfarms":3cgmugy1 said:
Not arguing about registered throwing polled calves, regardless of what they are bred to, but statistically there is a chance-very very slim. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I'm trying to save some face.
I guess about anything is possible, but this very highly improbable. And if the reg Angus throws a horned calf it shouldn't be registered anyhow. High chances that there is something else way back in the woodpile somewheres.

ALACOWMAN":3bl5r9km said:
Beefy":3bl5r9km said:
what about the african horn gene?
Are you talking about them ugly headed gyr they would put horns on rock they put new meaning to the phrase pallet head :cboy:

The african gene seems to be a real wildcard and I've never seen a real explanation of how it works. Don;t even hear much about it anymore. But if it had an affect it would be on Brahman bulls on real Angus cows or vice versa.

dun

thanks for all the input. the cows are red angus, but I bought a 4 month old bull calf( red angus, beefmaster cross) in september and he's got small horns. By what you're all sayin the cows should still have polled calves if I use him. jp

jp":2dzep9v8 said:
thanks for all the input. the cows are red angus, but I bought a 4 month old bull calf( red angus, beefmaster cross) in september and he's got small horns. By what you're all sayin the cows should still have polled calves if I use him. jp

If that bull has horns or scurs you will get calves with horns or scurs also, polled is a recessive gene.

jp":30kyap2d said:
You got a red angus X beef master calf with horns there is no telling what your red angus cows are. Don't bet on anything, especially no horns.

Caustic Burno":a7usdt4t said:
jp":a7usdt4t said:

If that bull has horns or scurs you will get calves with horns or scurs also, polled is a recessive gene.

polled is dominant.

txag":3a4q8ww6 said:
Caustic Burno":3a4q8ww6 said:
jp":3a4q8ww6 said:

polled is dominant.

You are correct txag had cranal rectial inverversion on that one, time to go to bed.

i believe polled is dominant. so if your bull has horns that means that either he is less than half red angus or the red angus wasnt pure. if thats the case, and the red angus cows came from the same place they may not be pure either. but if you know you have purebred redangus cows they should have all polled calves. not sure about scurs.

the cows are purebreds. the bull came from somewhere else. I appreciate all the response. jp

Latest posts