Police Presence

Help Support CattleToday:

tons of cops everywhere.. i think the sheriff office has 25 or so patrol officers.. the town has 22.

you call, usually 2-3 will show up.

lots of high taxes, not much in the way of anything done with them other then hiring more people to do nothing.

county garage gets all brand new case equipment every year.

still asking for more tax money all the time.

now the school needs tons of $$$$ to buy kids kindergarten - 5th grade ipads.

taxes in KY were 1/4 what they are here and I got 10x more service, and everything was taken care of better... schools were just as nice.. way more people paying in around here.. probably 70-80% less tax sources in ky

not sure where all the money goes around here but I imagine certain peoples pockets.

We were about 45 minutes from the south end of the county. Since that end is more populated, that's where the single overnight deputy is likely to be. New Interstate segment opened and the time has dropped some, but still somebody in the county is going to be 30+ minutes away from an officer at some point during the night. The odds of an officer getting to the scene of a crime while it is still going on is pretty slim. Fortunately, most of the criminals seem to be terminally stupid.

About 30 minutes response time and that is 14 miles from the county seat , just got 911 within the last 6 months . Meth is rampant in the poorest county in ok, somehow we have been spared from the thievery , knock wood , but come to a fuss, and our story will be the one told . Unnerving , but that's the way it is.

I have lived out here 10 years now and I did see a deputy sheriff on our road once. We are 30 minutes from the EMT station for the southern half of the county, that is if they are at the station and not on a call. We are 45 minutes from the hospital and the last time we had a fire, the fire department was called at 6:22 p.m. and they showed up at 10:30 that evening. They were helping the next county over.

Caustic Burno":3mi3cxsa said:
The county supposedly mapped our 911 out on gps. You still have to give directions to dispatch.
Sounds exactly like my county. Have to give directions 2 or 3 times.

We have pretty good LE here but they are spread thin but we don't have much crime unless you count the seatbelt violations the state police like to give tickets for. We did have a murder here about 30 years ago and then a few years ago two guys robbed a high stakes poker game but they left town after the robbery and not even the family knows where they went. A few years ago my neighbor shot a guy with bird shot after he caught him stealing 100# sacks of pecans. The deputy followed him to the hospital and after he was treated he arrested him so it wouldn't be on the county's dime.

Jogeephus":3ti8dr1y said:
We have pretty good LE here but they are spread thin but we don't have much crime unless you count the seatbelt violations the state police like to give tickets for. We did have a murder here about 30 years ago and then a few years ago two guys robbed a high stakes poker game but they left town after the robbery and not even the family knows where they went. A few years ago my neighbor shot a guy with bird shot after he caught him stealing 100# sacks of pecans. The deputy followed him to the hospital and after he was treated he arrested him so it wouldn't be on the county's dime.

It sounds like your area is more like mine with low crime. I was talking with a few old timers a while back, and they said they couldn't ever remember a random murder around here. There had been a "killing" or two, as they called it, over the years, but it's always a couple of rednecks who are out to get each other; it's never been where a person was randomly murdered.

There had been a "killing" or two, as they called it, over the years,but it's always a couple of rednecks who are out to get each other;...

They call that gang crime, cartel activity, or organized crime elsewhere.

herofan":1106k4ht said:
Jogeephus":1106k4ht said:

It sounds like your area is more like mine with low crime. I was talking with a few old timers a while back, and they said they couldn't ever remember a random murder around here. There had been a "killing" or two, as they called it, over the years, but it's always a couple of rednecks who are out to get each other; it's never been where a person was randomly murdered.

Its pretty safe here. Everyone looks after other people's stuff.....and business at times..... but in general most mean well. The murder was the result of an insurance scam where my friend's brother happened to look like another person and two people came up with the sick idea they would kill him and try and make it look like one of the murderers was killed so they could collect the insurance policy. Both came up for parole last year even though they had been sentenced to death. One of them supposedly found Jesus but most feel he can get to heaven from prison if that is truly the case so they are still in jail after the community let the parole board know their sentiments. We did have a juke joint where a lot of fights and drug dealing went on but the city pulled their business license and the owner moved on to a larger more tolerant city.

We have quite a few cops in our area, but it's because we've had a problem in the past. I interact with a bunch of police through work, and I've asked a couple. About 2005 there 100 drive-by shootings in the closest city to me (and where I work). They formed a task force, and it dropped to about 5 the following year and maybe 1 in the 9 years I've been here. There's usually a murder every couple of years. Considering it's a city of about 50,000 full of wanna-be thugs, and some real gang members from California, we do pretty well. I keep my doors locked at home at night, but that's habit from living in the city. Only problem is that response time, and the ability to find us, is pretty bad. I've told my wife that if we have a major issue we're loading up and meeting an ambulance on the way or calling in the bird and dealing with the financial fallout later.

Where we are now is technically in the county it is right on the edge of the town which is the county seat. Literally the end of our driveway is in the city limits. There seems to be a town cop or two on duty all the time. I see them driving by pretty regularly. Any sheriff deputy coming or going to the north or east will pass by our place. I see a lot of them. I have breakfast or coffee most mornings with a group of ranchers. The sheriff stops in for coffee about once a week.

The new place in Oregon..... well. The son in law (one of the co-owners) is the under sheriff of the county. So there was a police presence daily. Now that he is gone the odds of a cop driving by are somewhere between slim and none. It is 30 minutes to the county courthouse. Could be an hour and a half maybe more if they are in one of the far corners of the county.

Latest posts