Pole Barn Nails

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone else hate pole barn nails? They are touchy when nailing them into telephone poles. If you hit a hard spot they bend like a S.O.B and then u cant get it straight after that.

Yep. I quit using them years ago and went to using lag bolts. Just drill and run them in with an electric impact.

In case you didn't know, it makes a difference if you are buying "box" pole barn nails or "common" pole barn nails.

yea... im using poplar boards not predriled... I am gonna use lag bolts from this point on what a pita those nails should be taken off the market...lol :mad:

Never heard of pole barn nails. I never use less than a twenty penny common on a barn and if I was driving them in the poles, I use 6 or 7 inch spikes. Drive a case of them and you will find out what kind of man you are.

upfrombottom":32i8zmzd said:
Never heard of pole barn nails. I never use less than a twenty penny common on a barn and if I was driving them in the poles, I use 6 or 7 inch spikes. Drive a case of them and you will find out what kind of man you are.
if you go in a lumber yard around here and ask for Polebarn nails
they will give ya either 40D ringshanks or 60D ringshanks
so that is what we have always called polebarn nails
Arkansawyers I tell ya what got to explain everything to them :lol: :lol:

What are referred to as pole barn nails in my area are black, ringed nails bought by the lb from the bins at the co-op. You won't bend them. Because of their hardness, you should use safety glasses when driving them.

I now have a corral and two sheds to re do that have been put together with pole barn nails.
The planks are mostly bad but I am thinking about cutting off the nails so the posts could be reused.
Any saw tips on how to do this?

Angus Cowman":14lmtell said:
upfrombottom":14lmtell said:
if you go in a lumber yard around here and ask for Polebarn nails
they will give ya either 40D ringshanks or 60D ringshanks
so that is what we have always called polebarn nails
Arkansawyers I tell ya what got to explain everything to them :lol: :lol:
I can't stand ring shanks. They bend too easy when trying to drive by hand.

Stocker Steve":231po94u said:
I now have a corral and two sheds to re do that have been put together with pole barn nails.
The planks are mostly bad but I am thinking about cutting off the nails so the posts could be reused.
Any saw tips on how to do this?
If you can get the boards off with out pulling the nails a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel works good if not use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade

A hard case pole barn nail would break before it would bend. Ditto the safety glasses when driving them. Common pole barn nails are useless.

Few years ago I built a rail fence using them. And as long as it was up for no apparent reason, the nails would just break and let one end of the rail fall down. I would examine it and right in the middle of the nail, it would be broke off. Finally took it down and made firewood out of it. I'll never buy those high tensile nails again !

novatech":wyee2mub said:
Yep. I quit using them years ago and went to using lag bolts. Just drill and run them in with an electric impact.
Lag Bolts, that's what I use and they last.

We were using them and getting frustrated bending and wasting them, and an an Amish man showed us to grip them tight with enitire hand as you drive them in as far as your hand allows and we have only bent one since then, may be just luck??

upfrombottom":eg2gl8go said:

i will second that. use a six inch spike. I am using them to build my corrals right now, and let me tell u, i am pounding them with a crib axe and i feel every swing from the day for about 3 days after lol. :cboy:

I at one time also used pole barn nails and was giving my lumber yard man a hard time about using them and he said I should try structure screws, they have a big flat torx head and are stronger than lag bolts, you can get then up to 3/8ths in diam. and 8" long. The only draw back is the price, you buy them by the piece. 101

ibuy ring shank tempered pole barn nails they do not bend might break off but never bend
i use them to drive throught 2" oak boards building my shed. drive with 2 lb sledge

Latest posts