Fence nails and staples not holding

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Anyone else see a problem with nails in a board fence backing out?
Some of the board fences I've built in recent years seem to have problems with nails backing out of the posts.I'm using oak boards and nailing into treated posts or some creosote.I've used the hot dipped galvanized nails to keep the treated posts from corroding them.
I've even gone back and put some decking screws in to help hold but I'm not sure the smaller heads won't pull through the oak unless I'd put a small washer on them as well.

I don't remember a time when nails and staples did NOT back out over time. Boards/posts dry out (get thinner) and the nail head appears to protrude., but it was pushed out by expansion of the board. Then the board gets wet soaks up water, (again gets thicker) and the nail shank is gripped by now tight hole & pushed out of the post or stud some more by the thickened board....board drys out again and the nail head now seems to protrude even more. I use staples with the grips on them..they do hold better.

I like the barbed staples they have now.They do seem to hold better.
You brought up some real good points about the boards. Even though I usually try to put some kind of waterproofing on the boards where they join the posts before I nail them,it's still subject to moisture.

I used the word 'grips' but as you said, they are in fact, barbed. Dang sharp barbs too.

I have noticed, that a lot of pressure treated lumber comes from the lumber yard or supplier 'wet' and way heavier than one would expect it to be.
After you put it up, it dries out, shrinks and of course, the fasteners are then sticking out some. Have to go back and drive them in some. I don't really know what the fix for it is.
I have heard some of the 'old folks' claim it's caused by the moon's gravitational pull.....not sure I buy that at all tho..

Oddly enough, I have noticed nails backing out more recently. I attributed it to what I would call heaving. Board expands with moisture board contracts as the moisture is lost. Why lumber would be more prone to this than in the past, I don't know. I've slowly became a fan of screws for every application. Expensive as crap, but doesn't hurt my arthritis like swinging a framing hammer.

LedgerLOK and TimberLOK are the cat's patootie for holding rails or boards on fences or for bridge decking.

https://www.fastenmaster.com/product-details/ledgerlok-flat-head-structural-wood-screw.html

Bigfoot said:
Oddly enough, I have noticed nails backing out more recently. I attributed it to what I would call heaving. Board expands with moisture board contracts as the moisture is lost. Why lumber would be more prone to this than in the past, I don't know. I've slowly became a fan of screws for every application. Expensive as crap, but doesn't hurt my arthritis like swinging a framing hammer.

The only to keep nailheads from walking out of a fence is to leave them on the shelf at the hardware store. Screws are not that expensive if you buy them by the bucket.

Latest posts