Pole Barn Leaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Had one leaning really bad, just about ready to fall (80x30). Just set 6 new posts and left the leaning ones alone. Been working fine for 8 years now.

You need to know why it's leaning. Is th earth giving way around the posts, are the posts rotten, or is it just a general sag?
For the sag we used to drive T-posts in as far as we could get them and pasten bailing wire to the highest point of the barn and tighten the wires till it pulled the builgin straight. Then we'ld do the same thing on the opposite side so that it didn;t start to fall the way it had been pulled to be straightened. I suppose the less cheap methid is using cable and turnbuckles.

dun

Had some down here that got that way from the hurricanes. The best way we know to do it if the posts are not rotted or broken is dig down beside them on the side you need to move them back to. Hook truck, jeep, horse, tractor up as required and slowly pull them back to the side you dug the hole on.

Like dun said why is it leaning? i have pulled them back in place with a tractor and packed rocks & concrete around the post you want too go a fraction past center in the opposite direction to compensate for the pressure

I've got one leaning, too.. The builders set posts (logs) in the ground, and then nailed square timbers on top of those.. One of the posts is rotting out and leaning, pulling the timber down with it.. It's affected the angles bad enough to bend the tracks for the sliding door..

I'm thinking that what I may do is build some kind of support around the timber to hold it up, cut it off at bottom to seperate it from the rotten post, pull the post, dig the hole out more, pour a cylindrical concrete pier w/ one of those cardboard forms, move the post onto the concrete, square it up, and secure it.. Once I get that corner level, I'll evaluate the rest and repeat as necessary with the other timbers.

cmjust0":1z1dp2tc said:
I'm thinking that what I may do is build some kind of support around the timber to hold it up, cut it off at bottom to seperate it from the rotten post, pull the post, dig the hole out more, pour a cylindrical concrete pier w/ one of those cardboard forms, move the post onto the concrete, square it up, and secure it.. Once I get that corner level, I'll evaluate the rest and repeat as necessary with the other timbers.

Great minds think a like. I have a couple in the center of my main barn that broke off while I was putting hay in it. :oops:
My plan is to cut them off above the rot, pull the old stub out, pour a concrete base with rebar coming out, then set the cardboard form on that and have this cardboard form go up the post a couple feet and pour it.

My plan is to cut them off above the rot, pull the old stub out, pour a concrete base with rebar coming out, then set the cardboard form on that and have this cardboard form go up the post a couple feet and pour it.

Wait, can I change mine? I think I might like your idea better... :lol:

Forgot to mention that, once I get the barn straightened up, I'm considering the addition of a heavily braced run-in shed for equipment on the downhill side of the lean to give the structure something solid to shoulder up to... I need some extra storage space anyway... ;-)

After Ivan paid us a visit my pole ban was leaning . We dug around each pole about two feet deep , hooked two trucks and pulled till strait,then filled in with sacrete. Its stronger now than when first built. I guess this what flaboy did.

Beefy":3d98x9ss said:
maybe you guys can come help out my old barns. lol.

Hey Beefy, I saw some pretty dang good lumber in one of those barns of yours. I had a guy stop and ask if he pull some lumber out of my trash pile after I rebuilt my cattle pen. I said go right ahead. Latter I saw some of the stuff he built out of it. Incredible stuff. I thought that lumber was shot. Well it was as far as holding cattle.

G&L Cattle":1lmzli8k said:
The stake in the ground- haywire method is for me. With about 15 ft from barn to stake, will twisting the doubled wire take up enough 8-12", or will I need a turnbuckle?

Got some rain!
Glen Wells

Enough strands of bailing wire should pull that little bit of a lean out ok

dun

I saw a barn that the supports had rotted out. The supports were 6x6's and they sunk a new 6x6 next to the rotted one, leaving about 24 inches out of the ground. The old posts were bolted to the the new ones and the rotted portion was cut off.

wouldnt waste the time with the baling wire, you'll just end up fixing it again. Besides, I wouldnt want a brace sticking that far out from the barn, will hit it with something when not paying attention or it will be in the way. Seems like an internal brace would work better. Depends on your column configuration.

Latest posts