Polaris 900 XP vs John Deere Gator 825i

Help Support CattleToday:

We hardly ever use our Kubota 1140 in the crew setup, but it's nice to have the option. The bed on the Kubota folds up and so does the back seat. Adds almost 2' of bed space which is a good thing for us, I couldn't live without that option.

LauraleesFarm":3cor5rgl said:
the 4 wd is like that of a truck, all 4 wheels engaged in forward and in reverse. I'm told that is not true for the other UTV's.
I can't speak for all, but the Ranger has three options. Regular rear wd (one wheel spins), true rear wheel drive (diff locked and both tires spin), and true 4wd (all 4 wheels spin).

M.Magis":13h8n27b said:
LauraleesFarm":13h8n27b said:
the 4 wd is like that of a truck, all 4 wheels engaged in forward and in reverse. I'm told that is not true for the other UTV's.
I can't speak for all, but the Ranger has three options. Regular rear wd (one wheel spins), true rear wheel drive (diff locked and both tires spin), and true 4wd (all 4 wheels spin).

There are pros and cons to all the systems.

With Polaris you also have to wait for the rear tires to slip for the 4wd to engage. In the case where I backed up and pulled the Kubota out I never spun a tire. Which in a lot of cases it the best way. Just lock every thing up in low gear and let it crawl.

Brute 23":2v0i6z0f said:
M.Magis":2v0i6z0f said:
LauraleesFarm":2v0i6z0f said:

There are pros and cons to all the systems.

With Polaris you also have to wait for the rear tires to slip for the 4wd to engage. In the case where I backed up and pulled the Kubota out I never spun a tire. Which in a lot of cases it the best way. Just lock every thing up in low gear and let it crawl.

Maybe on the older ones? I don't know, but mine is a 2013 and it locks in as soon as you flip the switch.

The new Rangers have diff lock on all 4. I also cannot speak to the older ones.

I don't know how big the beds are on JD's, but the Polaris is sized to fit a pallet.

Polaris also has engine braking, if going down hills is an issue.

We have a Polaris, and are considering a Gator. We have the 500 Polaris, and are looking at one of the bigger Gators, because the kids are getting older, and if we have customers visit, it is better to haul them all in one trip, than only being able to take one or 2 along at a time. There are a few pluses for us on the Gator. The biggest is the steel floor. I probably didn't have the Ranger for 2 months and had cracked the floor in it. That there is enough for me to go to a different make.

If I were to buy a new UTV it would be the Honda Pioneer. I hate CVT transmissions, plus it's a Honda. Most Polaris's I have driven sound like a bunch of loose nuts and bolts, just does not seem well put together compared to a Yamaha or the like.

Buying a 10k toy when I could spend that on a kick butt tractor would be insanity in my case though.

I picked up my Polaris 900XP with EPS yesterday and took my Dad and 2 year old out on a ride across our new farm last night. Good times and a smooth ride.

Kell-inKY":21ormn3k said:
If I were to buy a new UTV it would be the Honda Pioneer. I hate CVT transmissions, plus it's a Honda. Most Polaris's I have driven sound like a bunch of loose nuts and bolts, just does not seem well put together compared to a Yamaha or the like.

Buying a 10k toy when I could spend that on a kick butt tractor would be insanity in my case though.

Have you looked at the 1000s that are coming out this fall? 3speed auto with low range and 76 hp. Where is the drool smiley?

M-5":lu6inwcq said:
djswin":lu6inwcq said:
I picked up my Polaris 900XP with EPS yesterday and took my Dad and 2 year old out on a ride across our new farm last night. Good times and a smooth ride.

you will soon ask yourself how you ever got along without one . congrats

I'm just now buying some land so even though I've always wanted one, I didn't really "need" one until now, although a true "need" is relative.

TennesseeTuxedo":1l25avuo said:
djswin":1l25avuo said:

Congrats!
Thank you!

Update:
I have only put about 3.5 hours on my Polaris 900 XP and it won't start. From what I can tell, it's the alternator but you never know. I bought new so I wouldn't have to work on equipment (often). I know, it all breaks eventually but I didn't expect it to break this soon. Sorry for the gripe but I wanted to share my experience. Maybe I should've gone green.

Call the dealer and have them come get it and get it fixed. Ever single brand has it's problems or occasional bad part. It's how the dealer handles it that makes the difference.

Latest posts