Poke weed

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":35ymlai0 said:
Deer will eat the berries and if there are a lot of berries then you will find purple deer turds.
Your deer must have a lot to pick and choose from if they wait on the berries. Deer around here eat the whole plant lock stock and barrel before the first berry shows its' face. Doves will flock to it if and when the berries drop which in this locality happens only in a place deer can't reach, like in windrows of logging debris.

Mother use to cook it occassionally, always double boiled drained/rinsed well between boilings then cooked like any other green. In good soil, the plants here can get huge. I've never had it in a salad but evidently some people have..
""A wretched spiteful, straight razor-toting woman..........chomp-chomp chomp chomp."
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4DvG4bQ2o[/youtube]

One time me and my cousin squeezed some of the juice into a bottle. We were going to use it like ink and write and send letters to each other. It soured in the bottle so we threw it away and didn't write any letters.

my dad would take the roots. and put them in something like moonshine bought at the liqueur store. would drink a few ounces each day. suppose to help arthritis. who knows if it helped may be better off throwing the roots away. and just drinking the shine.

I always thought wrongly I guess, it was Polk.

Mom used to fix it with scrambled eggs. Made them a nice green shade.
I loved the stuff, my wife won't cook it although her mother does.

Around here if you disturb the ground in the woods, very shortly you will have a bunch of poke.

There was a restaurant in FL that years ago used to have pokeweed salad on the menu.
I grow a variegated variety as an ornamental which is stunning in the garden, and comes true from seed.

BBD6D847-C90F-4993-B299-5FADC951CBD4.jpg

Few bags for the freezer..

Latest posts